Re: Minheadless trial

EstebanLM
Hi Ben,

Sorry for coming here so late, I didn’t see this thread before.
I already have a working minheadless branch that was adapted to Eliot’s process.
It was working for Pharo in Linux and Mac (Windows was ongoing but not finished, that’s why is not pushed).

You can find this branch here:

Interesting part is that I didn’t tackled any of the issues you are working on, so the work is easily mergeable :)

Cheers,
Esteban

Ps: with some changes in image, I’m using exclusively this VM since a couple of months and it works fine.

On 7 Aug 2018, at 07:22, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7 August 2018 at 05:12, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ben,
Feel free to make this edit and commit

I'm pushing changes here...

and the diff can be tracked here...

------------------------
On 6 August 2018 at 13:22, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6 August 2018 at 11:50, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/be7b1c03/platforms/minheadless/windows/sqPlatformSpecific-Win32.c#L80
 typedef HRESULT WINAPI (*SetProcessDpiAwarenessFunctionPointer) (int awareness);
    C2059 sqPlatformSpecific-Win32.c:80 syntax error: '('
    E0651 a calling convention may not be followed by a nested declarator.

The following change reduces build errors to 1...
  typedef HRESULT (*SetProcessDpiAwarenessFunctionPointer) (int awareness);

but I'm not sure of the implications.

I found the correct solution to this...
"The trick is placing the [call declaration] inside the parentheses"

i.e. the following compiles cleanly
typedef HRESULT (WINAPI *SetProcessDpiAwarenessFunctionPointer) (int awareness);

-----------------------------
Now running the VM (without parameters) I get...
   Debug Assertion Failed!
   Program: ...\x64-Debug\dist\pharo.exe
   File: minkernel\crts\ucrt\src\appcrt\tran\amd64\ieee.c
   Line: 106
   Expression: (mask&~(_MCW_DN | _MCW_EM | _MCW_RC))==0

at the call to _controlfp(FPU_DEFAULT, _MCW_EM | _MCW_RC | _MCW_PC | _MCW_IC);

x64 does not support _MCW_PC or _MCW_IC
but I'm clueless about the implications of these FPU flags.
Could our math guys please advise?

Eliminating those two flags allows a VM run successfully without loading an Image.
i.e. it successfully passes...
   osvm_initialize();
   osvm_parseCommandLineArguments(argc, argv);
   osvm_initializeVM();

Next is to try loading an Image.

cheers -ben

cheers -ben

Re: Minheadless trial

EstebanLM
I’m slowly working on that VM because we want it to be the default for Pharo 8.
In our vision, it should be a responsibility of the image to start or not a graphical UI, so we are preparing (we have been preparing to it for years, actually) to achieve this behaviour.
To make this work, we need all platforms covered (and another huge quantity of changes here and there).
Anyway, I didn’t merge because I wanted to have win64 covered, not just what we have now, and since no-one was using that VM I didn’t feel pression to do it :)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 8 Aug 2018, at 09:33, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7 August 2018 at 13:47, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

Sorry for coming here so late, I didn’t see this thread before.
I already have a working minheadless branch that was adapted to Eliot’s process.
It was working for Pharo in Linux and Mac (Windows was ongoing but not finished, that’s why is not pushed).

You can find this branch here:

I'll have a look at it.

Interesting part is that I didn’t tackled any of the issues you are working on, so the work is easily mergeable :)

Cheers,
Esteban

Ps: with some changes in image, I’m using exclusively this VM since a couple of months and it works fine.

That is good to know.  So just to be clear...
even though its name indicates "headless", you are running a full graphical Image?

Yes, using SDL2 and OSWindow (with some modifications). Advantages of Pharo investment on this, even in things that seemed useless at the beginning ;)
Also, the minheadless VM has a “traditional display” flag that will start a word too.

I got more curious about the original announcement saying...
"minheadless is a VM variant that unifies a lot of the code for Windows, Linux and OS X.”

Yes, I like what Ronie did there, even if there is still work to do, but is cool.

I compare...
   find "platforms/Win32/vm" -exec wc {} \;
   find "platforms/Unix/vm" -exec wc {} \;
   find "platforms/Mac OS/vm" -exec wc {} \;
to...
   find "platforms/minheadless" -exec wc {} \;

and if nothing important has been missed it seems about 30% of the original size.
I'd expect Ronie's effort to produce this should have a massive impact on future maintainability.

It depends, but this is one of the reasons why we want to move into it.
Our strategy is let the less possible in the VM (ideally, just the “core” VM and a great FFI support), and move all the rest into the image.

Esteban

cheers -ben

P.S. I excluded the following presuming its common before/after.
   find "platforms/Cross/vm" -exec wc {} \;
btw, its about half the size of platforms/minheadless.

Re: Minheadless trial

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Esteban,

On Aug 7, 2018, at 4:36 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m slowly working on that VM because we want it to be the default for Pharo 8.
In our vision, it should be a responsibility of the image to start or not a graphical UI, so we are preparing (we have been preparing to it for years, actually) to achieve this behaviour.
To make this work, we need all platforms covered (and another huge quantity of changes here and there).
Anyway, I didn’t merge because I wanted to have win64 covered, not just what we have now, and since no-one was using that VM I didn’t feel pression to do it :)

How does that answer Norbert’s question?  By doing the work in your own fork you risk forking.  Do you want to fork?  If not, why not do the work in opensmalltalk-vm?

[...]

Hi Eliot,

On 5 Dec 2018, at 14:46, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban,

On Aug 7, 2018, at 4:36 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m slowly working on that VM because we want it to be the default for Pharo 8.
In our vision, it should be a responsibility of the image to start or not a graphical UI, so we are preparing (we have been preparing to it for years, actually) to achieve this behaviour.
To make this work, we need all platforms covered (and another huge quantity of changes here and there).
Anyway, I didn’t merge because I wanted to have win64 covered, not just what we have now, and since no-one was using that VM I didn’t feel pression to do it :)

How does that answer Norbert’s question?  By doing the work in your own fork you risk forking.  Do you want to fork?  If not, why not do the work in opensmalltalk-vm?

This is old thing (there is a pull request now, since like 3 weeks).
I worked on my fork because that’s how you do it with git: you fork, you work, and you do a Pull Request when ready.
I was explaining why the PR was not still done: I wanted to have covered the three platforms before doing it.

I guess the terminology is confusing you?

[...]

Ben Coman

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 21:53, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I guess you mean "why not do the work directly on the Cog branch of the OpenSmalltalk account",
because any other branch is no different to any other branch regardless of which account its stored in.
The "opensmaltalk-vm repo" is a single big commit graph across all accounts, as you can see...  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/network

Whether any development-branch becomes a real-fork in the old vernacular is not how long it stays unmerged from the mainline-branch
but how often the development-branch is updated to merge in the mainline-branch.  The network graph is useful to understand the situation here.

This is old thing (there is a pull request now, since like 3 weeks).
I worked on my fork because that’s how you do it with git: you fork, you work, and you do a Pull Request when ready.
I was explaining why the PR was not still done: I wanted to have covered the three platforms before doing it.

On the flip side, release early release is a good policy.
It was your merge of minheadless into Cog that stimulated me to add my minor minheadless tweaks.
I know I could have submitted a PR direct to your minheadless branch, but somehow it just felt more comfortable
submitting it to the mainline Cog branch.

I guess the terminology is confusing you?

That doesn't help.

cheers -ben

Re: Minheadless trial

EstebanLM

On 5 Dec 2018, at 16:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That’s not how you work on git/github and I prefer to keep it “as intended”.

[...]

Yeah, but for that you need to have something that you can release.
minheadless was developed by Ronie (I just made the makefiles and adapted to build pharovms). And then it stalled around until I decided to took it and merge it… I’m going to be susceptible and say that frankly I do not understand the tone of this mails.

It was your merge of minheadless into Cog that stimulated me to add my minor minheadless tweaks.

And I’m grateful :)

I know I could have submitted a PR direct to your minheadless branch, but somehow it just felt more comfortable
submitting it to the mainline Cog branch.

I guess the terminology is confusing you?

That doesn't help.

Why? Terminology *is* confusing, at least for me.

Esteban

cheers -ben

Re: Minheadless trial

Ben Coman

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 23:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It came across sarcastic.  My apologies.  Email is a poor medium sometimes.

cheers -ben

Re: Minheadless trial

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Esteban,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:53 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK.  I should;d have checked the dates more carefully.

I worked on my fork because that’s how you do it with git: you fork, you work, and you do a Pull Request when ready.

I hope you forked opensmalltalk-vm not pharo-vm/opensmalltalk-vm, that's all.

I was explaining why the PR was not still done: I wanted to have covered the three platforms before doing it.

I guess the terminology is confusing you?

I get forking in a single repository.  I also get forking across repositories.  These are two different things.  I had misunderstood where you were forking.  I apologize.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Minheadless trial

Nicolas Cellier
Hi Esteban, Ronie,
Forking, branching and merging is certainly the clean way to do it!
The question is about the frequency of merges. Like Ben I prefer short cycles, because otherwise we just can't review the code, it' too many diffs at once. We can just trust, or not, take it or leave it...
So who is going to take the responsibility?

How i did it for win64 support? The canonicle way would have been to develop a long branch with hundreds of changed files/lines, then merge when ready. Instead of that, i integrated small batches of changes, none of which were sufficient to have win64 working, but none of which completely broke the trunk. Small steps... I know some purists that don't like my way of doing because we obtain interleaved features in the history preventing to easily bissect regressions, but i don't like puritanism either :).

In fact, i did experiment like Ronie in my own private fork, then when ready, (not when perfect, but just when it reached a minimum of usability), i redone everything in smaller steps (cherry pick, rebase, squash, whatever...).

I did also commit some changes in trunk, or accepted my own merge, which is questionable, but IMO more acceptable than rotting PR: that just means that i have to assume the responsibility of changes, I break it, I repair it. Ronie, you could adopt such strategy too, because in some aspects of the VM, you are the expert :)!

It's certainly easier to concentrate on own changes and forget about the drag of legacy, but it's only a short term view. The burden of integration is differed, not eliminated, and the impact of changes not really mastered, because at the end we say let's integrate now and see later what is broken... We cannot always avoid such strategy when legacy code is too much intricated... But in this case, my own view of refactoring is untwist first, then replace.

I don't want to discourage good will, on the contrary, thanks a lot for taking the burden of these essential changes!!! I rather want to encourage more frequent refactorings. Don't hesitate to flood opensmalltalk with small PR. They don't need to be perfect nor complete, as long as they go in the right direction. Smaller changes means less burden and less responsibility for the integrators, so more people can effectively integrate, not just Eliot or Ben.

Cheers and thanks again!

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 01:25, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

An enlightening moment for me was reading an article about how PRs should not just be for the final product to integrate,
but also be used heavily for discussion.  Just put prepend something like "WIP" to the title.  Then the PR is updated every time you commit to your source branch.
There is even a github app to help manage that...

The "compare" tool is then available to draw attention to particular changes between particular commits...

cheers -ben