Re: Mod operator?

Bert Freudenberg
(moved from beginners list)

On Aug 14, 2007, at 0:51 , Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 11:05:54AM -0400, John Almberg wrote:
>>
>>>    Sorry for this simple question, but I can't seem to find the
>>> mod operator.
>>>    As in, "what's the remainder after doing division?"
>>>    Thanks: John
>>>

>> For such questions, it is best to use the method finder:
>> - Open method finder (world menu -> open -> method finder)
>> - enter a mod expression ( such as 7 . 3 . 1 ) and hit enter
>> - method finder gives several answers. Two of them are what you
>>   are looking for
>>
> ****WOW****!! That's just magic!
>
> I can't believe that I'm still finding more incredible features in
> Squeak after spending a couple of years immersed in it.

Indeed. And because many are unaware of these features they get
broken regularly. I think the list of "safe" selectors to try wasn't
updated in ages, although there were many additions to the base
system that could be found using the method finder.

- Bert -

RE: Mod operator?

Ramon Leon-5
> >> For such questions, it is best to use the method finder:
> >> - Open method finder (world menu -> open -> method finder)
> >> - enter a mod expression ( such as 7 . 3 . 1 ) and hit enter
> >> - method finder gives several answers. Two of them are what you
> >>   are looking for
> >>
> > ****WOW****!! That's just magic!
> >
> > I can't believe that I'm still finding more incredible features in
> > Squeak after spending a couple of years immersed in it.
>
> Indeed. And because many are unaware of these features they
> get broken regularly. I think the list of "safe" selectors to
> try wasn't updated in ages, although there were many
> additions to the base system that could be found using the
> method finder.
>
> - Bert -

You know, I've been surprised by many features in Squeak that I was unaware
of and only learned about by accident.  The method finder example above was
one such feature.  Others were things like..

  * any method can be used as a template for a new method simply by editing
it's name in the method pane
  * any classes declaration can do the same, changing the name will create a
new class
  * you can drag and drop methods between method categories, but also
between classes
  * using eCompletion, ctrl + space when typing a method definition name
pulls up a list of superclass methods and pressing tab will write the
default method override with the super send.
  * many context menus have a "more..." option, which can be accessed
directly by shift + click rather than just click, very useful.
  * pressing the question mark (twice) between instance and class  gives a
great class hierarchy view where you can see all the instances variables for
each class, extremely useful for understanding a hierarchy and not
immediately obvious.
  * for the longest time, I didn't realize that inspectors actually let you
edit instance variable values just by alt + s to accept the change, I
thought they were just viewers, not editors.

I'm curious what features others have run across that surprised them, or are
really cool that I haven't yet discovered?  Anyone?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk

Re: Mod operator?

Philippe Marschall
2007/8/14, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> > > ****WOW****!! That's just magic!
> > >
> > > I can't believe that I'm still finding more incredible features in
> > > Squeak after spending a couple of years immersed in it.
> >
> > Indeed. And because many are unaware of these features they
> > get broken regularly. I think the list of "safe" selectors to
> > try wasn't updated in ages, although there were many
> > additions to the base system that could be found using the
> > method finder.
> >
> > - Bert -
>
> You know, I've been surprised by many features in Squeak that I was unaware
> of and only learned about by accident.  The method finder example above was
> one such feature.  Others were things like..
>
>   * any method can be used as a template for a new method simply by editing
> it's name in the method pane
>   * any classes declaration can do the same, changing the name will create a
> new class
>   * you can drag and drop methods between method categories, but also
> between classes
>   * using eCompletion, ctrl + space when typing a method definition name
> pulls up a list of superclass methods and pressing tab will write the
> default method override with the super send.
>   * many context menus have a "more..." option, which can be accessed
> directly by shift + click rather than just click, very useful.
>   * pressing the question mark (twice) between instance and class  gives a
> great class hierarchy view where you can see all the instances variables for
> each class, extremely useful for understanding a hierarchy and not
> immediately obvious.
>   * for the longest time, I didn't realize that inspectors actually let you
> edit instance variable values just by alt + s to accept the change, I
> thought they were just viewers, not editors.
>
> I'm curious what features others have run across that surprised them, or are
> really cool that I haven't yet discovered?  Anyone?

When you open a menu you can type which disables the not matching
entries. This is kinda like tab completion in a Unix shell.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Mod operator?

Lex Spoon-3
"Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I'm curious what features others have run across that surprised them, or are
> really cool that I haven't yet discovered?  Anyone?

It's pretty cool, isn't it?  Squeak packs an enormous amount of
code-editing power into its tools.  The reason it can do so -- and
without even that much code! -- is that the tools are running in the
same system that the edited program is running in.

If you are new to Squeak, and expecting to do a lot with it, it is
really worth it some time to systematically open every tool and look
at every menu in every pane.  There are a lot of things you can do,
that you might not have thought of if you are used to other
environments.

In fairness, Eclipse is doing pretty well for Java programmers, from
what I understand.  On the flip side, Eclipse uses over two million
lines of code to achieve it, as compared to Squeak's three-hundred
thousand...

  http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_3_0_stats.html

-Lex

Re: Mod operator?

stephane ducasse

>>> For such questions, it is best to use the method finder:
>>> - Open method finder (world menu -> open -> method finder)
>>> - enter a mod expression ( such as 7 . 3 . 1 ) and hit enter
>>> - method finder gives several answers. Two of them are what you
>>>   are looking for
>>>
>> ****WOW****!! That's just magic!
>>
>> I can't believe that I'm still finding more incredible features in
>> Squeak after spending a couple of years immersed in it.
>
> Indeed. And because many are unaware of these features they get
> broken regularly. I think the list of "safe" selectors to try
> wasn't updated in ages, although there were many additions to the
> base system that could be found using the method finder.

At least when a selector was removed from the image we removed it
from the list.
But indeed using pragmas for tagging methods that are sensible would
be better and much more robust

Stef