Re: Money AND Feature requests

laurent laffont
Thinking again about this idea of voting system for features we would like to see in Pharo.

I won't pay 10 euros / month for someone to develop full time on Pharo on what I do not control (may not be the best words to explain my feelings :)

But I'm ready to give 30 to 50 euros to raise money to develop the most wanted feature from a voting system. This give more visibility.

It's easier to make a one shot donation than give XXeuros/month.

So one way to achieve this is to set up a voting system AND associated raising money system to develop the most wanted feature for one month.

Another way is to pick the most wanted feature for Google Summer of code.

With enough money one can stop his work for one month and develop exclusively for Pharo. If it's too hard to raise money for one month, we can try 15 days. I've seen that some great developers can do fantastic stuff in 15 days when he loves it :)

Laurent Laffont

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 December 2010 13:32, Davorin Rusevljan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Alan Rodas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm relatively new to Pharo, maybe this has been tried before, but what
>> about a forum where the ideas are published.
>> Each idea could be a thread in the forum, and the people that would like to
>> contribute may comment there. What it may be interesting is that the whole
>> discussion about an idea could live in the thread, and you can keep track of
>> old discussions and the state of a feature.
>> If you keep your ideas for yourself, and you cannot implement something by
>> your own, that idea will die there. If you allow people to comment on ideas,
>> maybe two or more people have the same, and they can start working on
>> it together. A forum allows for contacting people, and sharing, and, in that
>> way, maybe the community will grow (Some developers feel they can do
>> something because they don't have the time to do it by their own, or they
>> don't have the skills, but they can help to a dev team that share the same
>> goals.)
>>

>> Is just a thought.
>> If you did it before and didn't work, my apologies.
>
> Well, those are all nice thoughts. I am also relatively new to Pharo
> though, I am with Smalltalk for quite a long time. In my humble
> opinion, while both are always nice to have, at this stage Pharo, much
> needs more hands willing to do the work, than hands filling the wish
> lists and voting about them.

Abso-freakin-lutely! :)

> The Pharo team did marvelous job, I assume with a lot of investment of
> their personal time and energy. They also did quite good job at
> setting their targets since they already managed at transforming huge
> but sometimes hectic Squeak core into consistent development product.
>
> The way things currently work nicely reflect this, you can freely
> float your ideas on the mailing list, but do not expect that someone
> else should do it just because of that. But the better the idea is,
> and the larger your contribution to Pharo is, chances of it being
> implemented will rise. Otherwise, roll up your sleeves, and do it for
> yourself. If that is too complicated, consider doing something else
> simpler but usefull.

I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
are multiple 'nice'
ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
give an advice or help by
other means.
But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.
--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Money AND Feature requests

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:00 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Thinking again about this idea of voting system for features we would like to see in Pharo.
>
> I won't pay 10 euros / month for someone to develop full time on Pharo on what I do not control (may not be the best words to explain my feelings :)
>
> But I'm ready to give 30 to 50 euros to raise money to develop the most wanted feature from a voting system. This give more visibility.
>
> It's easier to make a one shot donation than give XXeuros/month.

Good!
Tell us what architecture we can use for that. I should find some time to build a association of loi 1901 and get a paypal account for pharo.

> So one way to achieve this is to set up a voting system AND associated raising money system to develop the most wanted feature for one month.
>
> Another way is to pick the most wanted feature for Google Summer of code.

Don't expect anything from it

> [...]
> > float your ideas on the mailing list, but do not expect that someone
> > else should do it just because of that. But the better the idea is,
> > and the larger your contribution to Pharo is, chances of it being
> > implemented will rise. Otherwise, roll up your sleeves, and do it for
> > yourself. If that is too complicated, consider doing something else
> > simpler but usefull.
> >

> I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
> And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
> are multiple 'nice'
> ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
> In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
> give an advice or help by
> other means.
> But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:00 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> Thinking again about this idea of voting system for features we would like to see in Pharo.
>>
>> I won't pay 10 euros / month for someone to develop full time on Pharo on what I do not control (may not be the best words to explain my feelings :)
>>
>> But I'm ready to give 30 to 50 euros to raise money to develop the most wanted feature from a voting system. This give more visibility.
>>
>> It's easier to make a one shot donation than give XXeuros/month.
>
> Good!
> Tell us what architecture we can use for that. I should find some time to build a association of loi 1901 and get a paypal account for pharo.

You should take a look at Flattr for donations. Also, in case some
want to donate for specific feature, there are crowdfunding solutions
like kickstarter.

>> So one way to achieve this is to set up a voting system AND associated raising money system to develop the most wanted feature for one month.
>>
>> Another way is to pick the most wanted feature for Google Summer of code.
>
> Don't expect anything from it
>
>> With enough money one can stop his work for one month and develop exclusively for Pharo. If it's too hard to raise money for one month, we can try 15 days. I've seen that some great developers can do fantastic stuff in 15 days when he loves it :)
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10 December 2010 13:32, Davorin Rusevljan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Well, those are all nice thoughts. I am also relatively new to Pharo
>> > though, I am with Smalltalk for quite a long time. In my humble
>> > opinion, while both are always nice to have, at this stage Pharo, much
>> > needs more hands willing to do the work, than hands filling the wish
>> > lists and voting about them.
>>
>> Abso-freakin-lutely! :)
>>

>> > The Pharo team did marvelous job, I assume with a lot of investment of
>> > their personal time and energy. They also did quite good job at
>> > setting their targets since they already managed at transforming huge
>> > but sometimes hectic Squeak core into consistent development product.
>> >
>> > The way things currently work nicely reflect this, you can freely
>> > float your ideas on the mailing list, but do not expect that someone
>> > else should do it just because of that. But the better the idea is,
>> > and the larger your contribution to Pharo is, chances of it being
>> > implemented will rise. Otherwise, roll up your sleeves, and do it for
>> > yourself. If that is too complicated, consider doing something else
>> > simpler but usefull.
>> >

>> I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
>> And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
>> are multiple 'nice'
>> ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
>> In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
>> give an advice or help by
>> other means.
>> But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.
>>
>> > rush
>> > http://www.cloud208.com/
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Money AND Feature requests

laurent laffont
Yes I think it's good to have a real Pharo entity / status / association loi  1901.

For architecture, as Andrés said he/we can set a UserVoice. For raising money http://pledgie.com/.

As for Flattr the idea is good but it seems to raise only little money actually (feedback from pharobyexample and pharocasts. But we haven't tried to encourage people to donate).

Laurent.

> [...]

> > float your ideas on the mailing list, but do not expect that someone
> > else should do it just because of that. But the better the idea is,
> > and the larger your contribution to Pharo is, chances of it being
> > implemented will rise. Otherwise, roll up your sleeves, and do it for
> > yourself. If that is too complicated, consider doing something else
> > simpler but usefull.
> >

> I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
> And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
> are multiple 'nice'
> ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
> In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
> give an advice or help by
> other means.
> But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.

James Ashley
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Good!
>> Tell us what architecture we can use for that. I should find some time to build a association of loi 1901 and get a paypal account for pharo.
>>

> You should take a look at Flattr for donations.

I think the basics might be a good idea, but flattr just doesn't seem
like a useful/viable choice to me. They're way too vague about how
much of the money they keep, and it's really set up as a subscription
service (last time I checked, anyway). It's just that you get to
decide how you distribute your $x per month (as long as you stay on
top of things and make that decision every month).

> Also, in case some
> want to donate for specific feature, there are crowdfunding solutions
> like kickstarter.

Kickstarter sounds like it might be a *much* better choice for this
sort of thing.

I'm not sure how good it would be for on-going projects, though.

e.g. "You paid $50 last month to have Geoffrey spend a month working
on feature x. He estimates that he's 75% done. Will you spend $12.50
to let him spend another week on it?"

Just my $0.02.

-- James

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM, James Ashley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> Good!
>>> Tell us what architecture we can use for that. I should find some time to build a association of loi 1901 and get a paypal account for pharo.
>>>

>> You should take a look at Flattr for donations.
>
> I think the basics might be a good idea, but flattr just doesn't seem
> like a useful/viable choice to me. They're way too vague about how
> much of the money they keep, and it's really set up as a subscription
> service (last time I checked, anyway). It's just that you get to
> decide how you distribute your $x per month (as long as you stay on
> top of things and make that decision every month).
>

>> Also, in case some
>> want to donate for specific feature, there are crowdfunding solutions
>> like kickstarter.
>
> Kickstarter sounds like it might be a *much* better choice for this
> sort of thing.
>
> I'm not sure how good it would be for on-going projects, though.
>
> e.g. "You paid $50 last month to have Geoffrey spend a month working
> on feature x. He estimates that he's 75% done. Will you spend $12.50
> to let him spend another week on it?"

Kickstarter is based on "all or nothing". If you don't finish, you
don't receive the money. It's like contracting work, if you don't
deliver, you're not paid, and many people have no problem with that :)

Re: Money AND Feature requests

Andres Fortier-2
Hi, sorry for being disconnected for a couple of days.

I think the idea of raising money for supporting feature requests is
really cool. And sure, I volunteer to setup a UserVoirce account. So, if
we are all ok with it I'll be setting it up at some point between today
and tomorrow.

Regarding the founding process both kickstarter and pledgie looks nice.
 From the FAQ it seems that kickstarter needs an US bank account, don't
know if that may be an issue.

Cheers,
         Andrés

laurent laffont escribió:

> Yes I think it's good to have a real Pharo entity / status / association loi
>  1901.
>
> For architecture, as Andrés said he/we can set a UserVoice. For raising
> money http://pledgie.com/.
>
> As for Flattr the idea is good but it seems to raise only little money
> actually (feedback from pharobyexample and pharocasts. But we haven't tried
> to encourage people to donate).
>
> Laurent.
>

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:00 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking again about this idea of voting system for features we would
>> like to see in Pharo.
>>> I won't pay 10 euros / month for someone to develop full time on Pharo on
>> what I do not control (may not be the best words to explain my feelings :)
>>> But I'm ready to give 30 to 50 euros to raise money to develop the most
>> wanted feature from a voting system. This give more visibility.
>>> It's easier to make a one shot donation than give XXeuros/month.
>> Good!
>> Tell us what architecture we can use for that. I should find some time to
>> build a association of loi 1901 and get a paypal account for pharo.
>>

>>> So one way to achieve this is to set up a voting system AND associated
>> raising money system to develop the most wanted feature for one month.
>>> Another way is to pick the most wanted feature for Google Summer of code.
>> Don't expect anything from it
>>
>>> With enough money one can stop his work for one month and develop
>> exclusively for Pharo. If it's too hard to raise money for one month, we can
>> try 15 days. I've seen that some great developers can do fantastic stuff in
>> 15 days when he loves it :)
>>> Laurent Laffont
>>>
>>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> what
>> like to
>> whole
>> track of
>> something by
>> ideas,
>> in that
>> they
>> same

>>> Abso-freakin-lutely! :)

>>> I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
>>> And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
>>> are multiple 'nice'
>>> ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
>>> In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
>>> give an advice or help by
>>> other means.
>>> But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Money AND Feature requests

laurent laffont
It seems the bank account is the only obstacle to go forward ?

Laurent

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM, andres <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, sorry for being disconnected for a couple of days.

I think the idea of raising money for supporting feature requests is really cool. And sure, I volunteer to setup a UserVoirce account. So, if we are all ok with it I'll be setting it up at some point between today and tomorrow.

Regarding the founding process both kickstarter and pledgie looks nice. From the FAQ it seems that kickstarter needs an US bank account, don't know if that may be an issue.

Cheers,
       Andrés

wrote:
[...]

yes and for that you need an association...

On Dec 14, 2010, at 8:50 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> [...]
> float your ideas on the mailing list, but do not expect that someone
> else should do it just because of that. But the better the idea is,
> and the larger your contribution to Pharo is, chances of it being
> implemented will rise. Otherwise, roll up your sleeves, and do it for
> yourself. If that is too complicated, consider doing something else
> simpler but usefull.
>
> I am always discussing ideas before going to implement them.
> And for things i do, if i not sure if i doing the best way, or there
> are multiple 'nice'
> ways to solve the problem, i asking people, what they prefer.
> In that way people staying in course of what i do, and sometimes could
> give an advice or help by
> other means.
> But i don't expecting much, because we all busy with own agendas.

Hi, sorry again for the delay. The user voice account is ready to run; I
created it with a new mail account (pharo.feature.requests) so that it
is not bounded to a particular person.

Regarding the money rising issue, do you think that an association such
as ESUG of FAST could help here? I have zero experience on accounting
but maybe it is possible to channel the contributions through them?

Cheers,
         Andrés

On Dec 21, 2010, at 2:43 PM, andres wrote:

> Hi, sorry again for the delay. The user voice account is ready to run; I created it with a new mail account (pharo.feature.requests) so that it is not bounded to a particular person.
>
> Regarding the money rising issue, do you think that an association such as ESUG of FAST could help here? I have zero experience on accounting but maybe it is possible to channel the contributions through them?

we wanted to avoid to bother esug because else nasty people could say that it is helping too much pharo (even if esug manage the money for squeak over some long years). So not ESUG.
This is why I should create a non profit association but it takes time.

stef

Re: Money AND Feature requests

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED