Re: Most wanted programming language:

Guido Stepken

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Smalltalk ... hmmm .... are Smalltalkers sure to realize whats ging on in the world?

Have fun, Guido Stepken

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Dennis Schetinin
Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Most wanted programming language:

FDominicus
Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)
No not really. See there is Objective-C in fifth place. That is not too
bad. JavaScript is up also and that is very much a Smalltalk in
disguise. I'd just would appreciate if Smalltalk was at least among the
first 10. At least that would be deserved. Anyway if you see Smalltalk
as "idea" supplier for Object-oriented languages, one can see that OO
really rules. Down to Transact-SQL all the languages offer more or less
support for OO-programming. Some even claim to be object-oriented ;-)

There is not one language among the first 15 which does not offer
anything about OO. See even Visual Basic uses it.

Well it's not that this may all too much, but it's still obvious. OO is
currently the "way to go".

I for my part would appreciate some more support for functional
languages. But to some extend all of them at least support it
partially. What is astonishing is the rank of R.  That I think can be
seen as "unexpected".

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Guido Stepken

While deciders still reflect upon what programming language and framework to use, thinking about Java, .NET ... , Google and Apple have set new standards by pushing LLVM, V8, Webkit, node.js with a tremendous amount of money to perfection.

Look at this example:

http://monocle.inventivelabs.com.au/books/dubliners

An epub reader object, good example for "ambient oriended programming". The reader behaves like an native app, independent on architecture, processor and os, touch, nontouch. Simply runs in every browser. And browser has javascript language bindings to all hardware, GPS, barometer, wifi, GSM, touch interface, mouse, cam .... if available.

Porting PHARO onto Amber makes sense for me. Nothing else. COGVM, browser plugin, touch interface, portability discussion finished! IMHO the only chance for Smalltalk to come to new life.

regards, Guido Stepken

Am 10.01.2012 09:29 schrieb "Friedrich Dominicus" <[hidden email]>:
Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)
No not really. See there is Objective-C in fifth place. That is not too
bad. JavaScript is up also and that is very much a Smalltalk in
disguise. I'd just would appreciate if Smalltalk was at least among the
first 10. At least that would be deserved. Anyway if you see Smalltalk
as "idea" supplier for Object-oriented languages, one can see that OO
really rules. Down to Transact-SQL all the languages offer more or less
support for OO-programming. Some even claim to be object-oriented ;-)

There is not one language among the first 15 which does not offer
anything about OO. See even Visual Basic uses it.

Well it's not that this may all too much, but it's still obvious. OO is
currently the "way to go".

I for my part would appreciate some more support for functional
languages. But to some extend all of them at least support it
partially. What is astonishing is the rank of R.  That I think can be
seen as "unexpected".

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Igor Stasenko
On 10 January 2012 14:25, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While deciders still reflect upon what programming language and framework to
> use, thinking about Java, .NET ... , Google and Apple have set new standards
> by pushing LLVM, V8, Webkit, node.js with a tremendous amount of money to
> perfection.
>
> Look at this example:
>
> http://monocle.inventivelabs.com.au/books/dubliners
>
> An epub reader object, good example for "ambient oriended programming". The
> reader behaves like an native app, independent on architecture, processor
> and os, touch, nontouch. Simply runs in every browser. And browser has
> javascript language bindings to all hardware, GPS, barometer, wifi, GSM,
> touch interface, mouse, cam .... if available.
>
> Porting PHARO onto Amber makes sense for me. Nothing else. COGVM, browser
> plugin, touch interface, portability discussion finished! IMHO the only
> chance for Smalltalk to come to new life.

when you want to get fast somewhere you can always rent a car if you
don't have one.
but it will be very hard to convince car-rent provider to give you a
specific car, which
suits most for your needs. Because for rented cars you usually pretty
limited in choice of features available.
That's the main reason between having own VM and being able to
directly control its features,
and just running on rent car.

> regards, Guido Stepken
>
> Am 10.01.2012 09:29 schrieb "Friedrich Dominicus"
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)
>> No not really. See there is Objective-C in fifth place. That is not too
>> bad. JavaScript is up also and that is very much a Smalltalk in
>> disguise. I'd just would appreciate if Smalltalk was at least among the
>> first 10. At least that would be deserved. Anyway if you see Smalltalk
>> as "idea" supplier for Object-oriented languages, one can see that OO
>> really rules. Down to Transact-SQL all the languages offer more or less
>> support for OO-programming. Some even claim to be object-oriented ;-)
>>
>> There is not one language among the first 15 which does not offer
>> anything about OO. See even Visual Basic uses it.
>>
>> Well it's not that this may all too much, but it's still obvious. OO is
>> currently the "way to go".
>>
>> I for my part would appreciate some more support for functional
>> languages. But to some extend all of them at least support it
>> partially. What is astonishing is the rank of R.  That I think can be
>> seen as "unexpected".
>>

>> --
>> Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
>> Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Guido Stepken

I prefer car rent. My brain quickly adapts to touch cars, mouse cars, kinect cars, siri cars.

Igor Stasenko.

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Dennis Schetinin
Someone said (recently?) something like that: There are a lot of object-oriented programming languages, but nearly no object-oriented programming.

Dennis Schetinin

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Guido Stepken wrote
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Smalltalk ... hmmm .... are Smalltalkers sure to realize whats ging on in
the world?
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. It's important to think about the wider world, but the tiobe index is rubbish. It's based on search engine hits for goodness sake. Of what is "talking about a language", especially in the uber-democratic-everyone's-a-technical-blogger web a good indicator?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Most wanted programming language:

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/10/12, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While deciders still reflect upon what programming language and framework
> to use, thinking about Java, .NET ... , Google and Apple have set new
> standards by pushing LLVM, V8, Webkit, node.js with a tremendous amount of
> money to perfection.
>
> Look at this example:
>
> http://monocle.inventivelabs.com.au/books/dubliners

Works in Google chrome version 16
I cannot turn the pages in FF9.0.1, nor in Opera 11.60.

> An epub reader object, good example for "ambient oriended programming". The
> reader behaves like an native app, independent on architecture, processor
> and os, touch, nontouch. Simply runs in every browser. And browser has
> javascript language bindings to all hardware, GPS, barometer, wifi, GSM,
> touch interface, mouse, cam .... if available.
>
> Porting PHARO onto Amber makes sense for me. Nothing else. COGVM, browser
> plugin, touch interface, portability discussion finished! IMHO the only
> chance for Smalltalk to come to new life.

Yes, every computer including tablet computer and many mobile phones
come with a virtual machine pre-installed. This VM interprets
JavaScript.

JavaScript is the VM of the web.

http://www.dynamic-languages-symposium.org/dls-10/program/media/AllenWirfsBrock_2010_SmalltalkVirtualMachinesToJavaScriptEnginesPerspectivesOnMainstreamingDynamicLanguages_Dls.pdf

slide 30

Or as Dan Ingalls puts it

"JavaScript is _the_ assembly language of the internet".

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131250.html

Having an environment to do Smalltalk programming on this VM makes sense.

JavaScript is actually a simple and clean language if you just look at
the core language (no DOM, no browser objects).

There are objects (like dictionaries in Smalltalk) and arrays which
are specialized objects. And there are functions which are objects as
well (including closures). Primitives values (Number, String, Boolean)
behave as objects as well (read-only properties as changing the state
does not make sense).

Alan Wirfs-Brock is co-editor of the ECMAScript 5.1 specification

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-262%20edition%205.1,%20June%202011.pdf

In ECMAscript 5 (for example as implemented in IE9) a lot of Smalltalk
constructs may be used 1:1.

http://www.dynamic-languages-symposium.org/dls-10/program/media/AllenWirfsBrock_2010_SmalltalkVirtualMachinesToJavaScriptEnginesPerspectivesOnMainstreamingDynamicLanguages_Dls.pdf

However as the example of the book reader shows there are problems
with different implementations not supporting all the APIs.

This as well applies to Amber where a lot more tests are needed.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel

> regards, Guido Stepken
> Am 10.01.2012 09:29 schrieb "Friedrich Dominicus" <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Yes, we do: the (outer) world is getting worse and worse :)
>> No not really. See there is Objective-C in fifth place. That is not too
>> bad. JavaScript is up also and that is very much a Smalltalk in
>> disguise.

YES.

I'd just would appreciate if Smalltalk was at least among the
>> first 10. At least that would be deserved. Anyway if you see Smalltalk
>> as "idea" supplier for Object-oriented languages, one can see that OO
>> really rules.

An argument to learn Smalltalk as a first language?