Re: Native Windows in Pharo

laurent laffont

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM, andres <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stef, Doru:
                first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists, not demanding one. Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know how you guys handle the feature requests. I see now.

On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread? Or should I first contribute to Pharo before asking?

Asking is a form of contribution and is important because this is what creates a community and how we can learn. It enables communication and this is good. And your question is a valuable question. (well, unless people keep asking over and over the same question without searching in the mailing-list archive....)

And actually the best answer I think is: if you want feature X, you have two ways to get it:
A/ pay someone for doing it
B/ do it yourself and share so other people may help you

Today in Pharo the most used way is B (and I think this is true for most open source project). But may be you have (lot of) money :)

So if you think something like UserVoice may sounds good, just try it and share. Darwinism will tell whether it is a good idea or not.

Honestly I'm curious about what ideas can people put in a voting system and what they can vote on. Maybe newcomers won't be shy to vote (comparing to sending an email).  Now  whether the ideas will be implemented is just a matter of choice between A and B.

Cheers,

Laurent

Andrés

Tudor Girba escribió:

+1.

Doru

On 7 Dec 2010, at 12:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

Hi andres
Thanks Mariano! I was looking for something more "formal", to let user's vote for features and a commitment of the dev team to include N of the most voted per release (of course N depends on the release cycle and the feature complexity).
Well well well
When people are not able to pay 10 Euros for pharo (we did a poll and got 5 positive answers) why would they have the right to vote for something that we would be forced to do? This is an interesting question, no?

We are not in the consumer model here. We (the people around pharo core) are fixing the infrastructure so that everybody benefit from it, we can be influenced
but not much. The only influence we deeply understand is ***Contributions*** with either videos, pdf, ads, promotion actions or ST code.

So if you want something to happen for real in pharo then you should consider how you can make this happens.

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

S Krish
If we want to contribute where and how do we contribute...?

Perhaps as you state just get a proper DVD for the contribution given @1 per 10 Euro's..  like we used to get from ESUG.

-Skrish

On Dec 7, 2010, at 1:41 PM, andres wrote:

> Stef, Doru:
>                 first of all I was *asking if* such a model exists, not demanding one. Having just entered the Pharo world I wanted to know how you guys handle the feature requests. I see now.
>
> On the other hand if you really want to discuss the question of "who has the rights for asking for X" in the open source model I'm open, but just to be sure I will first ask: Is it ok to open such a thread?

sure

> Or should I first contribute to Pharo before asking?

You can but you should know that the chance of getting what you want are low.

In the past we ask if esug would support the work of getting multiple native windows. Now apparently
the community was not really in need and probably the vm had to be fixed and this was not clear.

Re: Native Windows in Pharo

Andres Fortier-2
Hi Laurent, thanks for your response. While I agree that in many cases
the "do-it-yourself" style may apply, I think it would be kind of weird
to set up a user voice account for Pharo without the
leaders/developers/board being ok with it. Of course is not a matter of
laziness, it would be actually less work doing it that writing a couple
of mails, it's just that I would feel like taking attributions that
don't belong to me. Besides, I don't see anything good coming out of it
if the board is not ok with it.

Cheers,
         Andrés