Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I will run again for the Squeak Oversight Board in 2018. :-)

I plan to continue my contributions and knowledge exchange in the area of Squeak's programming tools, the Morphic framework, and Squeak's project mechanism to let multiple GUI frameworks co-exist in a single image. Then we can have shorter feedback loops to learn from and evolve. I value simplicity, consistency, readability, utility, and usability. I am in favor of thoughtfully re-evaluating working practices from other languages and environments to make them fit for Squeak's live programming experience --- I discourage every programmer from being a mere copy-cat. Context matters.

We should go for a new Squeak release in 2018. ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 07.01.2018 14:46:01 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Tim Rowledge
3. Craig Latta
4. David T. Lewis
5. Nicolas Cellier
6. Marcel Taeumel
7. Jecel Assumpcao Jr

For more info on the board please see:

https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/

Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here:
               http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6590

Now until Monday 22nd of January 3PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!

Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run.

During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions.

I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run.  Some people will not run without encouragement.  Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

Schedule:

Now until Monday 22nd of January 3PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 22nd of January 2018 3PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 22nd of January 2018 4PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 6th of February 2018 6PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.

Results will be announced immediately when the election ends.The voting period is one week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 22nd of January 2018 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi all,

I'm very happy we got off to a quick start! :).  Thank you Marcel!!

Now it's your turn!  Squeak needs you!  Have you been active in the community?  Serving on the Board is a really nice way to give back!  Make 2018 your year to serve!

Please announce early if you are running again this year, take Marcel as your guide!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bert Freudenberg
Marcel is running again, great!

Maybe this can inspire you, too? Two years ago he was "just" a PhD student and somewhat hesitant to run for the Oversight Board. Now he can't wait to be part of it again.

So please step up yourself, or encourage someone else to run. The board meets virtually twice a month for one hour, and that's pretty much all the time you need, since the "real" administrative work is handled by the SFC for us.

Come, join, it's fun! Oh, and I'll run again, too :)

- Bert -

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

timrowledge
I’ll be standing again.

I’ll be pushing for progress on a more modern graphics & text rendering system. And for trying to clean up old stuff wherever it can be improved. And for documenting things meaningfully.

Otherwise, I agree very much with the approach Marcel outlined, excepting only that I don’t really have much to do with his multi-frameworks interest. Oh, and I want funding to do the ARM64 Cog work…

tim
Useful random insult:- She doesn't suffer from insanity; she enjoys every minute of it.

Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

We currently have 3 candidates for 7 seats on the Squeak Oversight Board.

Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
Tim Rowledge

We still need more!  Don't wait until the last minute.  Toss your name into the mix today!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 1:43 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’ll be standing again.

I’ll be pushing for progress on a more modern graphics & text rendering system. And for trying to clean up old stuff wherever it can be improved. And for documenting things meaningfully.

Otherwise, I agree very much with the approach Marcel outlined, excepting only that I don’t really have much to do with his multi-frameworks interest. Oh, and I want funding to do the ARM64 Cog work…

tim
Useful random insult:- She doesn't suffer from insanity; she enjoys every minute of it.

Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 08:45:49AM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can
> you believe it's been a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I am, and always have been, a Squeak hobby programmer. This means that my
involvement in Squeak, and in the various projects that I have developed
over the years, is based purely on the enjoyment of doing these projects,
and of working with the Squeak Smalltalk system. I value Squeak as a tool
for thinking, exploring, and learning.

I also believe that it is important that Squeak continue to be the premier
platform for development of new ideas and technology. If someone wants to
develop new VM technology for performance (Spur and Sista) or extreme
portability (SqueakJS) then I want Squeak to be the preferred platform for
exploring and advancing these new developments. I also would like Squeak to
be a preferred platform for new ideas in music, arts, and teaching.

Although I have no interest in making money from Squeak, I do have personal
experience that demonstrates that these are not incompatible objectives.
I currently do technology management and systems integration work, and I
can honestly say that the majority of the paid work that I have done in the
last 10 or 15 years would not have been possible without the education that
I gained from working in Squeak.

As a member of the Squeak Oversight Board, my priority is to continue to
advance Squeak as a learning tool and a thinking tool, whether for personal
and hobby use or for commercial purposes.

Dave

Re: [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2018

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

Thank you to everyone that has stepped up to run for the board.  These are some excellent candidates!

We now have 6 candidates for 7 spots.  I would like to encourage you to run even after we have 7 candidates for 7 spots.  Having more than 7 candidates shows your support for the community.  Your willingness to run even if you might not win shows your support for the community.  Simply by raising your voice, you can help change the direction of where Squeak is going even if you don't win. The board that is eventually elected will have more of an idea where the community stands and confidence to navigate changes or to stay on the current course..  We have great community members that have never run for the board.  Please reach out to them and encourage them to run!  We also are lacking in female board members.  Do you know an active committed female Squeak community member?

Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
Tim Rowledge
Eliot Miranda