Re: Non recoverable manager.dat

Seth Berman
Greetings,

With the image, all you have to work with is the bytecodes.  So the only real possibility is a bytecode decompiler which can generally give one possible source that maps to the bytecodes (though generally an obfuscated one).
I know one used to exist a long time ago for 32-bit VisualAge Smalltalk but Instantiations is not in possession of it.

- Seth

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:58:26 AM UTC-4, OVE Contact wrote:

Hello,

I have a Smalltalk image with a lot of code. I don't have any backup of the library (manager.dat) but I would like to recover the source code of my applications from my image abt.icx, anyone could help me ?
Thanks in advance

Re: Non recoverable manager.dat

jtuchel
Seth,

now that you mention it, I seem to remember a topic like this has once been discussed on either this forum or comp.lang.smalltalk many, many moons ago. I am not even completely sure it was a thread on VisualWorks or VisualAge. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread dates back to the last millenium...

So it may be worth DuckDuckGoing for a few keywords like 'Bytecode decompiler', 'Smalltalk lost source' and the like. Not sure I have much more helpful to add here...

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 9. Mai 2019 12:45:42 UTC+2 schrieb Seth Berman:
Greetings,

With the image, all you have to work with is the bytecodes.  So the only real possibility is a bytecode decompiler which can generally give one possible source that maps to the bytecodes (though generally an obfuscated one).
I know one used to exist a long time ago for 32-bit VisualAge Smalltalk but Instantiations is not in possession of it.

- Seth

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:58:26 AM UTC-4, OVE Contact wrote:

Hello,

I have a Smalltalk image with a lot of code. I don't have any backup of the library (manager.dat) but I would like to recover the source code of my applications from my image abt.icx, anyone could help me ?
Thanks in advance

Re: Non recoverable manager.dat

Seth Berman
Thanks Joachim,

I'll also take a look in the "archives".  I've seen this work before and I've seen the output from it.
I don't know if there are certain methods it can't do, but from the methods I saw it looked horribly obfuscated.
I would imagine any sizable codebase reconstructed from this means is going to get interesting.
But if we can find it, at least it may give hope.  I'll report back if I find anything.

- Seth

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 7:56:33 AM UTC-4, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
[...]

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 5:20:13 AM UTC-7, Seth Berman wrote:
Thanks Joachim,

I'll also take a look in the "archives".  I've seen this work before and I've seen the output from it.
I don't know if there are certain methods it can't do, but from the methods I saw it looked horribly obfuscated.
I would imagine any sizable codebase reconstructed from this means is going to get interesting.
But if we can find it, at least it may give hope.  I'll report back if I find anything.

There is a K9 tool available. In earlier versions, it would add a tab to the bottom pane and show a byte code disassembly of the method. But, no reverse engineering to Smalltalk.
I don't recall the details of that now.