Re: OpenDBX

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

I tried OpenDBX today on Pharo 1.4 with Open DBX 1.4.5 on Windows.

First test was to connect to a remote SQL Server within
the LAN. Had no luck with the "DBXMSSQLBackend" so I
switched to an ODBC connection.

The thing is that in order to use the MSSQL with TDS you need FreeTDS installed also... The recommended setup for mssql is:

For Linux client -> Windows server: mssql + freetds
For Windows client and server: odbc

The connection worked but I was not able to do a simple
SELECT query. I got a "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]String data, right truncation" error.

Any ideas about that?

I also read about OpenDBX 1.4.6 being available fixing some
NULL problems in SQL Server.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.opendbx.devel/595/match=1.4.6

Do you already have the Windows builds so I can try?

Yes, you should use 1.4.6, the latest release where lot's of bugs where fixed (a lot discovered by glorp :P):
  - small buffers were used for date, times and timestamps in the odbc driver
  - there were some problems with some complex queries used by glorp for fetching polymorphic objects (select + unions) in mssql and sqlite.

I don't have the binaries yet, I'll try to make them this week...

Cheers,
Guille

Thanks
Torsten

Re: OpenDBX

Guillermo Polito

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

I'm not able to install TDS support on the server
since the machine is not under my control. I only
have access to the database and want to use Pharo
and seaside to write a small statistics tool
for often used queries. The other option is to
yet again use Java - but since I'm a Smalltalker
by heart it will hurt just once more.

I switched to ODBC connection - but then run into
the described problem.

So I have to wait until the 1.4.6. is ready.
Thanks for keeping OpenDBX up to date. RDBMS support
is crucial for getting Pharo into commercial adoption.

If possible please give me developer access to
the DBX projects on Squeaksource. So I can upload fixed
directly when I get the chance to work with it.
(I usually work with Oracle and MSSQL)

Done, you've access to http://www.squeaksource.com/DBXTalk now :).

BTW, I'd prefer to discuss this stuff in the dbxtalk mailing list [hidden email] (which has no much traffic ).

Thanks
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------