Re Phaas - anyone interested in setting up Pharo as a Service?

Re Phaas - anyone interested in setting up Pharo as a Service?

Andy Burnett
>> .
>
> I built CloudFoundry so that you uploaded a .st file (in my ESUG example it was 'aida.st') that was used to build the image. The server executed the .st file and saved the resulting image (it could load .mcz files directly or execute a Metacello script). Whenever your application was needed, a copy of the saved image was used.
>
> James Foster

James, can I check a few assumptions - I want to make sure I am not
putting words in VMWare's mouth, or missing an opportunity.

1. Is it the case that CloudFoundry.com has no current plans to offer
gemstone as a hosted option?

2. Your work on getting Aida to run was targeted at the
cloudfoundry.org, And therefore it would require someone to set up a
separate hosting operation - using the cloudfoundry code - in order
for us to use your work?

If 1 and 2 are true, is there anyway that we can use the  .com side in
pursuit of this PhaaS objective? I assume not, but I would hate to
miss the simple fix :-)

Cheers
Andy

Re: Re Phaas - anyone interested in setting up Pharo as a Service?

Janko Mivšek
Just a side-note: according to Wikipedia article [1] there are already
some commercial PaaS providers based on CloudFork:

- Uhuru Software, Inc. is one company that has created a AppCloud
  using Cloud Foundry. Uhuru's PaaS provides support for multiple
  frameworks (.NET, Rails, and Spring) and languages (Java, Ruby, PHP,
  and C#).
- AppFog hosts their PaaS on Amazon Web Services, OpenStack and Windows
  Azure.[1] [2]
- ActiveState is a company that has created a commercial distribution
  of the Cloud Foundry software for enterprises to host their own
  private PaaS. Their product has support for additional languages and
  frameworks, an adds a dashboard and security protocols.[3]
- Tier 3 is a company that has created an Enterprise-oriented PaaS
  combining Cloud Foundry with their Iron Foundry OSS Project that
  provides .NET and SQL Server Support.

About commercial cloudfoundry.com: As of September 2012, this service is
still in beta and pricing is not yet determined.

So, question is, what are long-term VMware plans with CloudFoundry, and
in this light, maybe supporting another provider like proposed OpenShift
is not a bad idea, for many reasons:

- more experience will be gained running on the another cloud
- more general PhaaS, which can run on more than one cloud
- more independent of cloud providers

Best regards
Janko

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Foundry

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Re Phaas - anyone interested in setting up Pharo as a Service?

jgfoster
On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:51 AM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I built CloudFoundry so that you uploaded a .st file (in my ESUG example it was 'aida.st') that was used to build the image. The server executed the .st file and saved the resulting image (it could load .mcz files directly or execute a Metacello script). Whenever your application was needed, a copy of the saved image was used.
>>
>> James Foster
>
> James, can I check a few assumptions - I want to make sure I am not
> putting words in VMWare's mouth, or missing an opportunity.

Janko has done a good job of summarizing the current situation.

> 1. Is it the case that CloudFoundry.com has no current plans to offer
> gemstone as a hosted option?

I am not aware of any such plans, and at the present time I think it would be unlikely. (Note that we are completely different teams in different locations in different parts of a large organization. My knowledge of and interaction with the Cloud Foundry team is essentially the same as that of anyone else who forked their code on GitHub.) As Janko noted, cloudfoundry.com is still in beta and the commercial arrangements are not yet formalized. I believe that Cloud Foundry will be part of the VMware/EMC spin-off (as will GemStone), so there is a bit more uncertainty than usual.

> 2. Your work on getting Aida to run was targeted at the
> cloudfoundry.org, And therefore it would require someone to set up a
> separate hosting operation - using the cloudfoundry code - in order
> for us to use your work?

Yes. As Janko noted there are others doing the same thing.

> If 1 and 2 are true, is there anyway that we can use the  .com side in
> pursuit of this PhaaS objective? I assume not, but I would hate to
> miss the simple fix :-)

Speaking as an observer of business operations (not as a VMware employee), I suspect that the best way would be to demonstrate commercial feasibility.

James Foster

> Cheers
> Andy

Re: Re Phaas - anyone interested in setting up Pharo as a Service?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Those providers are listed on the .org site at: http://core.cloudfoundry.org/listings

Janko Mivšek wrote