Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

philippe.back@highoctane.be
I guess that it is what I installed and it works fine on my Win 10 system.

Nice icon BTW.

Now there is an issue with the mouse pointer in the launcher and all pther images (so maybe a VM problem).

The cursor is all black and tiny and has no white surroundings. In a dark theme the cursor is close to invisible.

Also the cursor is not obeying the magnification setting of Windows. It worked before.

I guess that the cursor masks are  not applied properly + other new stuff.

That is ruining the whole Pharo experience for me (and I guess newcomers).

Phil

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 16:14 Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Regarding the various problems Pharo Launchers had on Windows, we worked on a new installer based on Advanced Installer [1] to avoid UAC (User Account Control) and write permissions problems. This new installer now installs Pharo Launcher in the user’s local app data folder (where for sure, he has write permissions). Pharo Launcher also now have its own icon and use its own name instead of Pharo. Also, the uninstaller now works as expected. Last but not least, the installer is now signed to avoid warning of Windows Defender.
Thanks to Ben Coman who did the first version of the packaging using Advanced Installer (was NSIS).
This version should also improve the launch of Pharo images on Windows.

So, please could you install and test this new version: and report any problem with it? http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/win-alpha/
We do not have windows users around so it’s hard to know if it works outside our tests boxes.

Thanks,
Christophe

[1] https://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Phil,

On Apr 16, 2018, at 8:16 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess that it is what I installed and it works fine on my Win 10 system.

Nice icon BTW.

Now there is an issue with the mouse pointer in the launcher and all pther images (so maybe a VM problem).

The cursor is all black and tiny and has no white surroundings. In a dark theme the cursor is close to invisible.

Also the cursor is not obeying the magnification setting of Windows. It worked before.

I guess that the cursor masks are  not applied properly + other new stuff.

Is the manifest (Pharo.exe.manifest ?) being installed?

[...]

Eliot,

Thx for the pointer.

No, there is no such file in the vm folder that is launching the Pharo Launcher nor is there one in the vms folders that are downloaded to run the various images started by the launcher.

This manifest file is new to me. Where is it to be found and what does it do for Pharo?

Phil

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:29 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have downloaded the https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/build.win32x86/pharo.cog.spur.lowcode/Pharo.exe.manifest and put it in the folder that contains the PharoLauncher Pharo.exe and then the pointers are correct again (they have their masking done correctly.

So, there is a packaging issue somewhere for Pharo Windows VMs as downloaded by the Laucher.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have downloaded the https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/build.win32x86/pharo.cog.spur.lowcode/Pharo.exe.manifest and put it in the folder that contains the PharoLauncher Pharo.exe and then the pointers are correct again (they have their masking done correctly.

Good!

So, there is a packaging issue somewhere for Pharo Windows VMs as downloaded by the Laucher.

Indeed, we must include the manifest files on Windows.

Phil

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eliot,

Thx for the pointer.

No, there is no such file in the vm folder that is launching the Pharo Launcher nor is there one in the vms folders that are downloaded to run the various images started by the launcher.

This manifest file is new to me. Where is it to be found and what does it do for Pharo?

It must lie alongside the .exe.  It's an XML file that specifies various runtime environment settings for the executable.  i don't know all that it can do, I just know that it does seem whether an application is highDpi aware or not, and your bug report seems to point directly to this.  Here's the manifest for Pharo:

Pharo.exe.manifest
<assembly
xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
manifestVersion="1.0"
xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<assemblyIdentity
version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="*"
name="www.mirandabanda.org.Cog.Pharo"
type="win32"
/>
<description>Pharo Smalltalk Virtual Machine</description>
<asmv3:application>
<dpiAware>false</dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="*"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

And that reminds me that they need to get updated to refer to opensmalltalk.org!!

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

demarey
Hi Phil, Eliot,

Le 16 avr. 2018 à 23:58, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Phil,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have downloaded the https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/opensmalltalk-vm/build.win32x86/pharo.cog.spur.lowcode/Pharo.exe.manifest and put it in the folder that contains the PharoLauncher Pharo.exe and then the pointers are correct again (they have their masking done correctly.

Good!

So, there is a packaging issue somewhere for Pharo Windows VMs as downloaded by the Laucher.

Indeed, we must include the manifest files on Windows.

I did not get this problem. Is this manifest file new? Is there only one manifest file to include or many?

Thanks for reporting this issue.
Christophe

Re: [Pharo-Launcher] call for tests on Windows

philippeback
Hi Christophe,

What Windows version do you have?

I have Windows 10 and a 4K screen.