Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

12

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

yvan Godin
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
kmo

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

kmo
Mars will work on Ubuntu and its derivatives when Hell freezes over. I don't
think anyone even looks a the Issues log.

Sound has never worked on Linux. You used to be able to get it to work by
copying files from a Squeak installation, but that's in the past now as far
as I know.

There's an article here on how to get sound working on Linux -
https://thepharo.dev/2020/11/17/how-to-play-sound-in-pharo/

It didn't work for me - I wasn't surprised.

The Linux desktop has the worst Pharo support.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Mars will work on Ubuntu and its derivatives when Hell freezes over. I don't
think anyone even looks a the Issues log.

We are in crush mode.

Sound has never worked on Linux. You used to be able to get it to work by
copying files from a Squeak installation, but that's in the past now as far
as I know.

There's an article here on how to get sound working on Linux -
https://thepharo.dev/2020/11/17/how-to-play-sound-in-pharo/

It didn't work for me - I wasn't surprised.

Can you let us know what is the problem?
If you do not report it how can we do something?

The Linux desktop has the worst Pharo support.

Exteban is working daily on a linux machine now the problem is that there is no such a thing
as a linux machine.

We have distributions and many of them with plenty of nice little differences that
as a user you expect to work but takes from us a lot of time.
For example different Clib.

So Pablo and guille are working on
making that the VM can take what is present
making that we can deploy one VM as full standalone
and this for a lot of different flavor.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Stéphane Ducasse

On 9 Dec 2020, at 15:30, yvan Godin <[hidden email]> wrote:

in reality posted my answer on a wrong list probably
totally new to Pharo and Smaltalk I wanted just try so this is not important

No there is no problem.
Sound is really not good :).
There is no problem with that.
Now we are concern with linux support and as you can see in the attached file
there is no a single OS but several and this is a large task because
in addition we have the new architecture coming.

I wanted to test  Gtk-binding. <https://github.com/pharo-spec/gtk-bindings>
because I am interested by Gtk but not for specific project so no problem I
can wait.

Esteban is making it work and some companies too but I do not think that this is
ready for public consumption.

Load fine but the demo code provided on github  hard crash the image with
big crash dump
```
   GtkApplication ensureRunning.
   GtkRunLoop defer: [
   GtkWindow new
title: 'Gtk3 Window';
add: (GtkBox newVertical
packStart: (GtkLabel newLabel: 'Hello!');
yourself);
showAll ]
```

I will report this to esteban

for the sound I have try to add sdl2 and alsa lib and some libsound but
without success. One more time this is not essential but sad. Very long time
ago I have try Squeak and sound was working.

Yes but all the library on the C level are obsolete.
Can you post what you did so that we can ask ronie to see what he did for the sound.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Here is the answer of esteban

Hi,

For some reason, it looks like I am no longer part of that list (how weird is that?), and I cannot re-subscribe me either (I asked Marcus to see what happens).
Anyway, can you be be more explicit, because I just tested in an Ubuntu 20.04 and it works fine (also, I use a Manjaro everyday  and it works too).

Esteban

[...]

France

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Guillermo Polito
Hi Ivan, just to complement Esteban.

When there is a process crash, it usually writes a crash dump file in the working directory. Could you share yours?

The crash dump file will have information about the stack and state at the moment of the crash.

It will also be useful to know what linux version you are on, and what specific version of gtk you have installed. All these could help in reproducing the problem and ultimately fix it.

Cheers,
Guille

France

France

kmo

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

kmo
The Mars project page says use this image and vm:

curl https://get.pharo.org/64/90+vmHeadlessLatest | bash

To upload the crash.dmp file to the issue log you need to rename it to
crash.txt first.

Good luck.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Stéphane Ducasse

On 10 Dec 2020, at 14:34, yvan Godin <[hidden email]> wrote:

hello

I have re installed an strictly follow everything as described in  gtk-bind
<https://github.com/pharo-spec/gtk-bindings>   / (I don't care of Mars but
interested by Spec2 and/or Gtk)/

the run of demo hard crash as previously

I have tried to upload the file here but no sure to well understand how
this list work
crash.txt <http://forum.world.st/file/t372931/crash.txt>

Thanks for the report.

thanks everybody

/by the side a curious behavior to this mailing list requiring again to me
to subscribe again /

Yes this is strange.
Esteban was also removed and we do not know why.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Stéphane Ducasse

On 11 Dec 2020, at 09:01, yvan Godin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello
May be you shouldn't spend time on that because I have successfully tested
Gtk-bind on a  more recent laptop /(Intel© Core™ i7 16GoRam versus Pentium
4Go )/ with same Ubuntu 19
sorry for inconvenience  and thanks everybody

Yvan there is no problem.
We prefer that you report a non bug that you do not report a bug.

And I do like to hear that we neglect linux because this is not the case.
Now there is one version of Mac at the time (plus three old versions)
but we do not have this situation for the thing called “linux”

S.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

kmo

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

kmo
But if it doesn't work on older machines (if that is the case) then that's
still a bug, isn't it?

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Stéphane Ducasse
It depends how old.
We cannot do magic.
In particular, if more people would help fixing simple things in Pharo we would then have the time for more boring and challenging issues.
Because in my personal case, I’m not paid to develop and lead Pharo dev.
My own carrer and CV do not depend on Pharo and in fact I could publish much more
and look much smarter without it.

S.

But if it doesn't work on older machines (if that is the case) then that's
still a bug, isn't it?

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Tim Mackinnon
Just to chip in here - the work demonstrated on Pharo development is inspirational. Rather than throwing everything away, it shows the alternative - incrementally improving a running platform - and practicing what we preach in industry by refactoring a large elderly code base bit by bit - it's remarkable.

While its true we don’t always immediately get things fixed that we might personally want, but then again we are relying on the free personal time of others. But collectively, the most important things do get fixed/improved, and if there is something that really bothers you, then the over arching lesson is that you have to roll up your sleaves and try and fix it yourself and in showing willingness you normally find that others will help you.

So Steph et al, I am glad that you love this platform (and have for many years), but more startlingly - i heard you all talk about a vision of improvements back in Lugano many years ago… and gosh we are seeing those improvements roll out year after year. Even more - we are slowly getting the kind of development/experiment workbench platform that good developers should have. Its being invented under our eyes, and that is exciting.

So I hope you dont feel dispondent - I think history viewed over a longer period will actually show a more positive picture.

Tim

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020, at 9:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
It depends how old.
We cannot do magic.
In particular, if more people would help fixing simple things in Pharo we would then have the time for more boring and challenging issues.
Because in my personal case, I’m not paid to develop and lead Pharo dev.
My own carrer and CV do not depend on Pharo and in fact I could publish much more
and look much smarter without it.

S.

But if it doesn't work on older machines (if that is the case) then that's
still a bug, isn't it?

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo Mars still not working on Ubuntu

Santiago Bragagnolo
It is a bug when you have a lot of budget. Luckily we have the monthly sprints :).
Participants are always more than welcome. You can join and participate to fix these things the last friday of each month!
I can sit with you and pair program.
I am not sure if this month we have sprint, since it is by the christmas dates probably.
Marcus, do we have sprint in december?
Anyway, as soon as I know i'll let you know. If it is not this this month it can be in january! It seems far but time pass really fast :).

Looking forward,

Santiago