Re: [Pharo-dev] 20294 Add FileAttributesPlugin to the linux 32 bit VM

Re: [Pharo-dev] 20294 Add FileAttributesPlugin to the linux 32 bit VM

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Alistair,

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:29 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Esteban,
>
> It looks like there has been some recent activity with VM plugins, I
> would really appreciate it if you could also add #20294.
>
> This is the plugin that fixes #isSymlink and adds symlink attributes.

My main concern with this new plugin is what happens on windows?  Is this a unix only thing?  Have you provided support for windows, even if they're only stubs that always answer false?

> See:
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
>

> If there's anything I can do to help the process, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Alistair

Re: [Pharo-dev] 20294 Add FileAttributesPlugin to the linux 32 bit VM

alistairgrant

Hi Eliot,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 08:15:20AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
>

> > On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:29 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi Esteban,
> >
> > It looks like there has been some recent activity with VM plugins, I
> > would really appreciate it if you could also add #20294.
> >
> > This is the plugin that fixes #isSymlink and adds symlink
> > attributes.
>
> My main concern with this new plugin is what happens on windows?  Is
> this a unix only thing?  Have you provided support for windows, even
> if they're only stubs that always answer false?

It works on both Windows and Linux, I've tested it on:

- Linux 32 bit
- Linux 64 bit
- Windows 32 bit

I'm hoping that it will just work on Mac OS (I don't have a machine to
test it with).

I'm not aware of any accepted process for adding plugins, but I was
hoping to:

- Enable the plugin on Linux 32 bit.
  Hopefully this is low friction, since it is where it has had most
  testing (Ubuntu 16.04).  Once I'm confident that it is OK here...
- Enable the plugin on the other platforms.  This can be one at a time,
  or everything at once, whatever you prefer.
- Add the supporting smalltalk code to the image, minus the integration.
  This will allow people to test the new functionality, without any
  danger of breaking the existing code.
- Switch the behaviour over to the new plugin.

The smalltalk code is already available, see the fogbugz issue.  Once it
is ready to be added to the image I'll create a pull request.

If you've got any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Cheers,
Alistair