Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] OSWinSubprocess a library to spawn Windows System processes

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] OSWinSubprocess a library to spawn Windows System processes

Julien Delplanque-2
Done.

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

Le 9 juil. 2019 à 08:43, ducasse <[hidden email]> a écrit :

It would be good to add this in the awesome documentation.

Stef

On 8 Jul 2019, at 20:44, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Without having a deeper look I guess what was done for Windows now is wrapping the usual STARTUPINFO, CreateProcess()
functions and friends yet again ...

Such wrappers and many other native friends were created from my side already years ago with my "OS-XXX" series
of projects for different platforms:

- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-Windows
- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-OSX
- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-Unix
- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-Linux-CentOS
- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-Linux-Ubuntu
- http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS/OS-Raspbian

So for instance on Windows you could easily use

 WinProcess createProcess: 'explorer.exe'

or

 WinProcess createAndWaitForProcess: 'cmd.exe'.

The projects are available on Github now since 2018 and kept up to date for recent Pharo versions.

- https://github.com/astares/Pharo-OS-Windows
- https://github.com/astares/Pharo-OS-OSX
- https://github.com/astares/Pharo-OS-Unix
- https://github.com/astares/Pharo-OS-Linux-Ubuntu
- https://github.com/astares/Pharo-OS-Raspbian

All of them are available in Catalog.

I have no problem with more and more implementations and the double efforts. But for Pharo users I have the feeling
that it gets more and more confusing in the area of OSProcess, OSSubProcess, OSWinSubprocess, .... and more wrappers
for basically the same thing ...

Bye
Torsten (aka astares)