Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent!

Doru


> On Nov 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> I’m announcing today we reach Pharo 7.0.0-rc1!
>
> This is the first step to release a definitive version, and while we will continue integrating bug fixes, API change Pull Requests will be delayed until the open of Pharo 8.0.0 development.
> Now, you would wonder what is the ChangeLog of this release… and answer is we still do not have one (btw, we should find a way to automate this).
>
> Anyway… we are very close to release now :)
>
> Please download, test, report issues.
>
> Esteban

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Vitor Medina Cruz
Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.

32bits version open up ok, will see how it behaves.

regards,
Vitor.



On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:43 AM Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent!

Doru


> On Nov 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> I’m announcing today we reach Pharo 7.0.0-rc1!
>
> This is the first step to release a definitive version, and while we will continue integrating bug fixes, API change Pull Requests will be delayed until the open of Pharo 8.0.0 development.
> Now, you would wonder what is the ChangeLog of this release… and answer is we still do not have one (btw, we should find a way to automate this).
>
> Anyway… we are very close to release now :)
>
> Please download, test, report issues.
>
> Esteban

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Alistair Grant
Hi Vitor,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 14:37, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.

Which VM are you using? (pharoconsole --version)

I've seen this just once on Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit), but wasn't able to
reproduce it, and think it was a more recent VM than the current
stable version.

Thanks,
Alistair

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Hans Baveco
In reply to this post by Vitor Medina Cruz

On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”

When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...

Hans

 

 

From: Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]>
Sent: woensdag 14 november 2018 14:35
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Cc: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

 

Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.

32bits version open up ok, will see how it behaves.

regards,

Vitor.

 

 

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:43 AM Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Excellent!

Doru


> On Nov 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> I’m announcing today we reach Pharo 7.0.0-rc1!
>
> This is the first step to release a definitive version, and while we will continue integrating bug fixes, API change Pull Requests will be delayed until the open of Pharo 8.0.0 development.
> Now, you would wonder what is the ChangeLog of this release… and answer is we still do not have one (btw, we should find a way to automate this).
>
> Anyway… we are very close to release now :)
>
> Please download, test, report issues.
>
> Esteban

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Do you (does the pharo vm) have full read/write access to its .changes and .sources file (in the directory where they are stored) ?

> On 14 Nov 2018, at 15:50, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”
> When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...
> Hans
>  
>  
> From: Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]>
> Sent: woensdag 14 november 2018 14:35
> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!
>  
> Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.
>
> 32bits version open up ok, will see how it behaves.
>
> regards,
> Vitor.
>  
>
>  
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:43 AM Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> Doru
>
>
> > On Nov 5, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I’m announcing today we reach Pharo 7.0.0-rc1!
> >
> > This is the first step to release a definitive version, and while we will continue integrating bug fixes, API change Pull Requests will be delayed until the open of Pharo 8.0.0 development.
> > Now, you would wonder what is the ChangeLog of this release… and answer is we still do not have one (btw, we should find a way to automate this).
> >
> > Anyway… we are very close to release now :)
> >
> > Please download, test, report issues.
> >
> > Esteban
>
> --
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Alistair Grant
In reply to this post by Hans Baveco
Hi Hans,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 15:50, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”
>
> When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...
>
> Hans

This is a different, known issue.  Your VM is out of date.  If you're
using PharoLauncher I think you can just delete the VM directories and
start again (I don't use PharoLauncher, so someone else may correct
me).

Cheers,
Alistair

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Guillermo Polito
In reply to this post by Hans Baveco

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”

When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...

Hans


Hi Hans,

This problem was already reported in the past.
You're probably using an old version of the launcher, that has an old version of the VM.

Quick solution: go where the launcher stores the VMs and remove the one of Pharo7. Next time you start a Pharo7 the launcher will download an updated one.

Guille 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Vitor Medina Cruz
Guillermo, deleting the VM worked. :)

Newer version of PharoLauncher can update the VM when necessary? I remember I updated it about two months ago.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:57 PM Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”

When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...

Hans


Hi Hans,

This problem was already reported in the past.
You're probably using an old version of the launcher, that has an old version of the VM.

Quick solution: go where the launcher stores the VMs and remove the one of Pharo7. Next time you start a Pharo7 the launcher will download an updated one.

Guille 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Guillermo Polito
On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 4:26 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guillermo, deleting the VM worked. :)

cool!
 

Newer version of PharoLauncher can update the VM when necessary? I remember I updated it about two months ago.

Well, there is a version in the development branch (1.5.*) that has a VM manager and has an option to update VMs and so on...
It requires for sure some more testing, because too many things happened in the middle:
 - migration of sources  to git
 - re-adapting the CI
 - several changes in the UI
 - added the VM manager
 - several bugfixes

Also in the middle we had to deal with some patches to the 1.4.* version, and then forward-port them to the new version.

And we are too busy with other stuff so no time to push this version :/.

If somebody wants to help testing/developing/checking it, the latest development version is here:

The downloaded app does not launch the launcher by default, it has to be done from a playground (PharoLauncher open).

Here is a preview screenshot showing some of the visual changes into it:

image.png

Cheers,
Guille