Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent!

Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Vitor Medina Cruz
Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.

32bits version open up ok, will see how it behaves.

regards,
Vitor.

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

alistairgrant
Hi Vitor,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 14:37, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got instant red crossed welcome window on windows 7 64bits with the Pharo 7 64 bits: "Error: Instances of SourceFileArray are not indexable". I will try on a windows 10 version later.

Which VM are you using? (pharoconsole --version)

I've seen this just once on Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit), but wasn't able to
reproduce it, and think it was a more recent VM than the current
stable version.

Thanks,
Alistair

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Hans Baveco

On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”

When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...

Hans

--
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Do you (does the pharo vm) have full read/write access to its .changes and .sources file (in the directory where they are stored) ?

> On 14 Nov 2018, at 15:50, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”
> When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...
> Hans

Hi Hans,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 15:50, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”
>
> When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...
>
> Hans

This is a different, known issue.  Your VM is out of date.  If you're
using PharoLauncher I think you can just delete the VM directories and
start again (I don't use PharoLauncher, so someone else may correct
me).

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Guillermo Polito

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

On windows  7 the 32bits version opens with an error: “PrimitiveFailed: primitive #fileDescriptorType: in File class failed.”

When discarding the error and saving & quitting the image, subsequent startups (via the launcher) do not display the gui anymore...

Hans

Hi Hans,

This problem was already reported in the past.
You're probably using an old version of the launcher, that has an old version of the VM.

Quick solution: go where the launcher stores the VMs and remove the one of Pharo7. Next time you start a Pharo7 the launcher will download an updated one.

Guille

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo v7.0.0-rc1 released!

Vitor Medina Cruz
Guillermo, deleting the VM worked. :)

Newer version of PharoLauncher can update the VM when necessary? I remember I updated it about two months ago.

Guille

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 4:26 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guillermo, deleting the VM worked. :)

cool!

Newer version of PharoLauncher can update the VM when necessary? I remember I updated it about two months ago.

Well, there is a version in the development branch (1.5.*) that has a VM manager and has an option to update VMs and so on...
It requires for sure some more testing, because too many things happened in the middle:
 - migration of sources  to git
 - re-adapting the CI
 - several changes in the UI
 - added the VM manager
 - several bugfixes

Also in the middle we had to deal with some patches to the 1.4.* version, and then forward-port them to the new version.

And we are too busy with other stuff so no time to push this version :/.

If somebody wants to help testing/developing/checking it, the latest development version is here:

The downloaded app does not launch the launcher by default, it has to be done from a playground (PharoLauncher open).

Here is a preview screenshot showing some of the visual changes into it:

image.png

Cheers,
Guille