Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

Esteban A. Maringolo

El ene 15, 2015 8:55 AM, "Sebastian Sastre" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>> On Jan 14, 2015, at 9:44 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Shaking the hive can certainly have a positive outcome, but you can also get you bitten. :)
>

> And what’s the news on that?
>
> The world is full of people paralysed by fear.
>
> Scared people is not worth following (they are not going to invent any interesting future).
>
> The ones who dear to do different are way more interesting.

I totally agree with you. But the mentioned project was a viable option two years ago, when it was trying to get developer traction and the "runs on JVM" was a hyped feature (not to mention the bad experience almost everyone had with such things).

Amber is, IMO, way more valuable and with a greater feature than Redline. And I never used any of them.

I wouldn't do a PR campaign mentioning VW's Pollock UI, Pharo's Spec or any other abandoned project whatsoever.

A different thing is a project of which you can expect to move at a slow pace, but uninterruptedly.

Regards,

Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

jfabry

I don’t know the entire context of the discussion (i’m not following Pharo-dev, where this came from apparently.) But I would like to point out that it is wrong to think of Spec as an abandoned project! Spec is here to stay, and hopefully for a very long time.

On Jan 15, 2015, at 09:08, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I wouldn't do a PR campaign mentioning VW's Pollock UI, Pharo's Spec or any other abandoned project whatsoever.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

stepharo

Le 15/1/15 13:39, Johan Fabry a écrit :
I don’t know the entire context of the discussion (i’m not following Pharo-dev, where this came from apparently.) But I would like to point out that it is wrong to think of Spec as an abandoned project! Spec is here to stay, and hopefully for a very long time.

On Jan 15, 2015, at 09:08, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I wouldn't do a PR campaign mentioning VW's Pollock UI, Pharo's Spec or any other abandoned project whatsoever.

+1.

Especially since we are in the period of the year where I'm much more important at planning budget
and resources than anything else :)

Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

horrido
I agree that Amber is important, given that client-side web development is the fad du jour. But having a Smalltalk on the JVM is also important if we want to penetrate the enterprise. JVM is the closest thing we have to a "standard" enterprise platform.

Languages such as Scala and Groovy have had some measure of success on the JVM. I'd be happy if Smalltalk could achieve even this level of popularity!

Generalissimo

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote

Regards,

Re: [Pharo-dev] InfoWorld on Redline Smalltalk

Esteban A. Maringolo
If Redline is ready and good to build native (Java) Android apps
with it, I'll be one of the first ones to try it.

So I look forward to Redline 1.0 :)

Esteban A. Maringolo