Re: [Pharo-dev] Is there a way to know if I am in iTimer VM?

Re: [Pharo-dev] Is there a way to know if I am in iTimer VM?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Mariano,

On May 16, 2017, at 6:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guys,

As you know, OSSubprocess does not work correctly in Linux unless you use the iTimer VM.

As others have pointed out, you mean that OSSubprocess does not work correctly unless you use the threaded heartbeat VM.  That the itinerary heartbeat breaks OSSubprocess.

I would like to open a warning (that growl thingy on bottom left of the screen) or something at loading / install time if I can detect I am under Linux AND under traditional linux VM (not itimer).

Do you know how can I do that?
I made a mistake in that there is no way, other than by using the FFI, to discover if the timer heartbeat is being used.  Would it be satisfactory if I provide a flag in vm parameter 48 that, if set, indicates the itimer heartbeat is in use?  This could be done in a few minutes and would be ready for the official release of Pharo 6.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Is there a way to know if I am in iTimer VM?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mariano,

On May 16, 2017, at 6:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guys,

As you know, OSSubprocess does not work correctly in Linux unless you use the iTimer VM.

As others have pointed out, you mean that OSSubprocess does not work correctly unless you use the threaded heartbeat VM.  That the itinerary heartbeat breaks OSSubprocess.

Yes, sorry about that.

I would like to open a warning (that growl thingy on bottom left of the screen) or something at loading / install time if I can detect I am under Linux AND under traditional linux VM (not itimer).

Do you know how can I do that?
I made a mistake in that there is no way, other than by using the FFI, to discover if the timer heartbeat is being used.  Would it be satisfactory if I provide a flag in vm parameter 48 that, if set, indicates the itimer heartbeat is in use?  This could be done in a few minutes and would be ready for the official release of Pharo 6.

Well, it would be helpful as I may be able to throw a warning. Would this flag be set only under Linux VM?

Thanks,

Effectively, yes.  It would be set in VMs that use the itimer heartbeat.  Currently that's only a subset of the Linux VMs.  Hopefully it will not be set in any vm soon :-)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Is there a way to know if I am in iTimer VM?

Tobias Pape

> On 16.05.2017, at 17:14, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Mariano,
>
> On May 16, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mariano,
>>
>> On May 16, 2017, at 6:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> As you know, OSSubprocess does not work correctly in Linux unless you use the iTimer VM.
>>
>> As others have pointed out, you mean that OSSubprocess does not work correctly unless you use the threaded heartbeat VM.  That the itinerary heartbeat breaks OSSubprocess.
>>

>> Yes, sorry about that.
>>

>>> I would like to open a warning (that growl thingy on bottom left of the screen) or something at loading / install time if I can detect I am under Linux AND under traditional linux VM (not itimer).
>>>
>>> Do you know how can I do that?
>> I made a mistake in that there is no way, other than by using the FFI, to discover if the timer heartbeat is being used.  Would it be satisfactory if I provide a flag in vm parameter 48 that, if set, indicates the itimer heartbeat is in use?  This could be done in a few minutes and would be ready for the official release of Pharo 6.
>>>

>> Well, it would be helpful as I may be able to throw a warning. Would this flag be set only under Linux VM?
>
> Effectively, yes.  It would be set in VMs that use the itimer heartbeat.  Currently that's only a subset of the Linux VMs.  Hopefully it will not be set in any vm soon :-)

Can't guarantee that to you.
Not unless the threaded-heartbeat-vm can be used hazzle-free (ie, without using sudo/..) ;)

SCNR, sorrry