Re: [Pharo-dev] Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Re: [Pharo-dev] Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Holger,

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 2:54 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> when running Pharo in production you might want to install the image and a VM from distribution packages. So far there were no current public packages and during the last months I have modernized the debian packaging and recently added CentOS rpm packaging as well. The process of generating new source packages is integrated into the pharo-vm travis-ci build as well.
>
> Every time that master of pharo-vm.git is updated a new source package will be uploaded to the Open(SUSE) Build Service and new packages will be built and are available in a "latest" package feed. The generated (and used) sourcecode is inside the source package and will be archived by the OBS platform (one can even nicely diff versions). The "stable" VM is not built from pharo-vm.git (yet?) so it doesn't show on OBS yet.

Could/should this description be added to README.md on opensmalltalk-vm?  I think it would be great if we kept information on the various VM build CI servers in README.md.  It would help people find VMs instead of having to build their own and it would give a good idea of the available platforms.

> Below are some semi-tested installation notes in case you want to try it out. The binary names are picked to allow to install the 32bit and 64bit VM in parallel. The names currently are:
>
>    - pharo6-32        (32bit version)
>    - pharo6-64        (64bit version)
>    - pharo6-32-ui        (32bit version with X11 dependencies)
>    - pharo6-64-ui        (64bit version with X11 dependencies)
>

> CentOS 6.8:
>
> # Add the repo
> $ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_6/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
>
> # Install 32bit packages (with X11 dependency for *-ui or not)
>
> $ yum install pharo6-32-ui.i686 or pharo6-32.i386
>
> # Install 64bit packages
>
> $ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64
>

> CentOS 7 (only 64bit):
>

> $ yum-config-manager --add-repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/CentOS_7/devel:languages:pharo:latest.repo
> $ yum install pharo6-64-ui.x86_64 pharo6-64.x86_64
>

> Debian 8:
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/Debian_8.0/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui
>
> Ubuntu 16.04
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: [Pharo-dev] Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Nicolas Cellier

Are the packaging stuff in opensmalltalk too, or just in pharo-vm?
It would be great to move all to opensmalltalk.
What is specificity of pharo-vm repository now?

> [...]

> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui    (or pharo6-32 or pharo6-64)
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui
>
> Ubuntu 16.04
>
> # Add signing key
> $ wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/pharo:/latest/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key | apt-key add -
>
> # Update and install
> $ apt update
> $ apt install pharo6-32-ui pharo6-64-ui

Re: [Pharo-dev] Latest Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS packages of the pharo-vm

Holger Freyther

> On 18. Aug 2017, at 23:56, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

> Are the packaging stuff in opensmalltalk too, or just in pharo-vm?
> It would be great to move all to opensmalltalk.
> What is specificity of pharo-vm repository now?

the packaging bits are in the pharo-vm repository only. What is pharo specific from a technical point of view is that I re-generate the sources before building the source package. There is a Makefile[1] that drives building the source package and the actual compilation is here[2].

I don't want this to sound offensive but the non-technical part is that it seems easier to get changes into the PharoVM than into opensmalltalk-vm. One example could be the FilePlugin and my attempt to use inotify without periodic polling (wastes power, adds latency and increases your bill in cloud computing, etc).

I am happy to answer questions about the packaging process or the OBS/travis-ci integration!

holger

[1] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/Makefile.debian
[2] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/packaging/pharo6-vm-core/debian/rules