Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo 64bit planned?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi David,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:22 PM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
I did not see any progress over the time in making a (stable) release
of pharo in 64 bit flavor.

For servers, it is a common practice (and also a good one if no 32bit
executables are planned) to completelly disable 32bit support (by not
compiling any library in 32bit, disabling emulation of 32bit in
kernel), and also performance, as under 64bit, 32bit code runs slightly
slower.

The above make enough reasons to make it interesting to have a 64bit
version of pharo, but... Is it intended/in progress? Or nothing really
at the moment?

64-bit development of Spur is in progress.  There is a somewhat functional 64-bit Squeak Spur image and a functional Linux 64-bit Stack interpreter.  Coincidentally I'm currently working on an input event processing bug which only occurs in the real VM.  You may know that the next release of Pharo (Pharo 6?) is intended to be a Spur release.  Esteban Lorenzano is working on the Pharo Spur bootstrap.  I am working in Squeak and my priorities are first, to get the Spur Squeak 64-bit image working fully on the Stack Interpreter and then to work on an x64 JIT VM.  I expect that by the time Pharo 6 is ready to release, the 64-bit version will also be ready.

Hope this helps.
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

and I've understood and fixed the event processing bug (which was nothing to do with 64-bits) so I can say that the Squeak Spur 64-bit Linux StackInterpreter is functional (again).

Hope this helps.
--
best, Eliot

--