Re: [Pharo-dev] TaskIt

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-dev] TaskIt

Santiago Bragagnolo

El mar., 17 dic. 2019 a las 9:40, Norbert Hartl (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi,

> Am 16.12.2019 um 11:41 schrieb Santiago Bragagnolo <[hidden email]>:
>

> Hi everybody!
>    We are starting to discuss with norbert about letting taskit to leave my incubator (my github account to go elsewhere). I have being thinking about it since long time, since i would like it to allow taskit to evolve into more than just my needs and wishes.
>
>    The sidequestion i am bringing today it may seem (or even be) almost scholastic at this point, but i think it should have some space.
>    The question is if to move it to pharo-contributions, or if to create a new pharo-processing.

I was asking this myself for a long time. Then I just started to move things to pharo-contributions because I could not come up with a better idea. I‘m not convinced that having more organizations on github will help.

>    During the ESUG i came up with the idea/feeling/etc that it would be nice to have a group of people interested into processing (as hobby, duty, etc) for being able to push further this project and what-ever-other related project.
>   During the conference i addressed norbert, tomohiro, mariano, matteo, guille, pablo, noury, (people for whom processing directly or indirectly is a primary concern) and i think there is even more people interested in this kind of general problematic, for what i sensed specially during my esug presentation. I think that to build a kind of team or group for discussing and working on this subject is a step in a direction that search to solve many modern daily problems that pushes us out of larger models of business and interaction (cloud and derivatives). Having this points in mind i think that the choice of this new github project could be a good point to start a to work on this goal (as a first place of gathering).

I personally wouldn‘t do it from the start. Usually this is kind of a premature optimization to put groups and permissions and all of that on the table.
If it comes to groups it comes to permissions and the management of them. You might try to solve a problem that might not even have. But you put the burden of managing memberships and permissions and that prevents collaboration to some extent

So my golden rule to this is that if you don‘t have real good reason to add something like this organization, just don‘t. Wait until there is a problem. At that point you know what problem you have and you might have an appropriate idea how to solve it. This is very hard to do a priori.

wowowo, i never spoke about memberships nor access, it would be a nice reason to me to not do it hahahaha. I am speaking only about drawing a box where we put the discussions on processing. Ii am naming people is just to remark the fact that there is people not only interested on this, but also working on this, meaning that to have a place for having this punctual disussions could be nice (just as a way of organising the discussions and having only informtion relevant to the processing thing. Still, i am aware that when we organise like this we are not organising for that, losing some freedom, and adding a complexity when gathering general information).

What if we have links to all the groups in Pharo-project (pharo-misc, pharo-processing, pharo-robotics, pharo-web) ? I can do the firsts steps if we agree in here.

But we need indeed a general approach how to handle that. Every time someone asks me to be added to pharo-contributions I‘m thinking about if the setup is ok.

Norbert