Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] Voyage cannot be load

NorbertHartl

Am 21.03.2014 um 15:57 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:

> It can be something to try indeed.
>
> Though I believe we all need to move on to using the Metacello scripting API too. That allows the end-user to control what happens with version upgrades, conflicts etc..
> Though there are issues with it too, I have been using it for over a year already to prevent pulling in inadvertent version upgrades.
>
> And, btw, all this would not solve the current problem...
>
Right. Only atomic loading can solve this.

Norbert

> Johan
>
>> On 21 Mar 2014, at 15:24, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Recently we had a lot of trouble, because Seaside upgraded its stable version from 2.8 to 3.0. This caused a lot of configurations not to load properly anymore, because #stable was referenced in a lot of release version.
>>
>> In reaction to that, I advocated to replace references to #stable to specific versions. Downstream configurations should not break if a configuration it depends on upgrades its stable version. Not all projects have adopted this policy, so that is the source of the configuration mismatch.
>>
>> We also have a different problem, that we used to solve by using #stable. Minor releases, included bug fixes, should be automatically be pulled over in the configurations downstream. So my solution was probably too much cutting corners.
>>
>> To solve this, I think we should introduce a new symbolic version for projects that are used a lot. For seaside this would mean defining the following versions:
>>   #stable28
>>   #stable30
>>   #stable31
>> These versions should be used when referencing to seaside, as #stable was clear too coarse grained. You do not want a major version upgrade in a dependent configuration, as this can lead to a lot of trouble, but you do want minor changes (patches) pulled in automatically.
>>
>> If people agree this is a good idea, I will add these versions to Seaside and add the versions #stable10 and #stable11 to grease, and update the downstream configurations that I am allowed to changed. I should have time for this somewhere next week. I will also add the versions #stable30 and #stable31 to Magritte3
>>
>> Regards,
>> Diego
>>
>>> On 21 Mar 2014, at 14:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> adding:
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfGrease>>#stable: spec
>>>   <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
>>>
>>>   spec for: #'common' version: '1.1.6'.
>>>   spec for: #'pharo2.x' version: '1.1.5'
>>>
>>> makes voyage *and* seaside load fine in pharo2.0.
>>
>> I do not think this is a good idea. The problem is that 2 different references to grease exist. These should all correspond to the same version.
>>
>>
>