Re: [Pharo-dev] Voyage cannot be load

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-dev] Voyage cannot be load

DiegoLont
Hi all,

Recently we had a lot of trouble, because Seaside upgraded its stable version from 2.8 to 3.0. This caused a lot of configurations not to load properly anymore, because #stable was referenced in a lot of release version.

In reaction to that, I advocated to replace references to #stable to specific versions. Downstream configurations should not break if a configuration it depends on upgrades its stable version. Not all projects have adopted this policy, so that is the source of the configuration mismatch.

We also have a different problem, that we used to solve by using #stable. Minor releases, included bug fixes, should be automatically be pulled over in the configurations downstream. So my solution was probably too much cutting corners.

To solve this, I think we should introduce a new symbolic version for projects that are used a lot. For seaside this would mean defining the following versions:
        #stable28
        #stable30
        #stable31
These versions should be used when referencing to seaside, as #stable was clear too coarse grained. You do not want a major version upgrade in a dependent configuration, as this can lead to a lot of trouble, but you do want minor changes (patches) pulled in automatically.

If people agree this is a good idea, I will add these versions to Seaside and add the versions #stable10 and #stable11 to grease, and update the downstream configurations that I am allowed to changed. I should have time for this somewhere next week. I will also add the versions #stable30 and #stable31 to Magritte3

Regards,
Diego

On 21 Mar 2014, at 14:32, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> adding:
>
> ConfigurationOfGrease>>#stable: spec
> <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
>
> spec for: #'common' version: '1.1.6'.
> spec for: #'pharo2.x' version: '1.1.5'
>
> makes voyage *and* seaside load fine in pharo2.0.

I do not think this is a good idea. The problem is that 2 different references to grease exist. These should all correspond to the same version.