Re: [Pharo-dev] mustBeBooleanMagicIn can crash the vm

Re: [Pharo-dev] mustBeBooleanMagicIn can crash the vm

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Nicolai,

    please try and remember to invlude vm-dev when you see a VM issue...

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a certain risk, that the mustBeBooleanMagicIn method rewrite can crash the
vm
Issue 13805

Since you're using the Opal compiler ca you add the description of the bytecode (aCompiledMethod symbolic) to the issue?  I'll try and take a look soon but want to be sure I'm debugging the relevant code.

The receiver of the rewritten method is the "nonboolean" value receiving the
ifTrue:ifFalse: message. But the rewritten method can include
instvar accessor and self sends of the original method.

We can include more rewrite rules in mustBeBooleanMagicIn like
  "rewrite instvar accessing"
    context receiver class instVarNamesAndOffsetsDo: [ :n :o |
        RBParseTreeRewriter new
        replace: n with: ('ThisContext receiver instVarAt: ', o asString);
        executeTree: methodNode.
        ].
"rewrite self sends"
    RBParseTreeRewriter new
        replace: 'self' with: 'ThisContext receiver';
        executeTree: methodNode.

But I don't know if this works for all possible situations. Or if there are
better ways to do the rewriting.

Remember the mirror methods:
    thisContext object: o instVarAt:
which doesn't send to o, reaching directly into it.

But what's the point of replacing "self" with "thisContext receiver"?  The latter is potentially an extremely slow way of doing the former.  The former won't create a context object in a method activation that doesn't need one (doesn't include a block), whereas the latter always will.  But they will always yield the same result.
curious,
Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] mustBeBooleanMagicIn can crash the vm

Nicolai Hess

Hi Eliot,

I am pretty sure this is not a vm issue :)

The mustBeBooleanInMagic: creates a method on the fly and executes it with the
a context as argument.
The "ThisContext" is not the "thisContext", but the argument of the generated method.

This is the bytecode of the generated method:

17 <00> pushRcvr: 0
18 <8F 00 00 02> closureNumCopied: 0 numArgs: 0 bytes 22 to 23
22     <76> pushConstant: 1
23     <7D> blockReturn
24 <8F 00 00 02> closureNumCopied: 0 numArgs: 0 bytes 28 to 29
28     <75> pushConstant: 0
29     <7D> blockReturn
30 <F0> send: ifTrue:ifFalse:
31 <7C> returnTop

The original method is

foo
    ^ notABool1 ifTrue:[1] ifFalse:[0]

The generated method compiles this part
notABool1 ifTrue:[1] ifFalse:[0]

to bytecode without the jumpFalse optimization.
The problem is that the receiver for the ifTrue:ifFalse send is accessed through
pushRcvr:0, whereas the thisContext is not the context of the original method anymore.

Nicolai

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ah, now I know what's going on.  Thanks.  I like this experiment very much.

How do you extract the blocks from the method?  Do you decompile or simply recompile from source or...?

Have (any of) you looked at implementing the mustBeBooleanMagic by interpreting the bytecodes that already exist in the method via some specialized interpreter instead of compiling a method on the fly?

[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: mustBeBooleanMagicIn can crash the vm

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Camille Teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 août 2014, at 19:15, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

We just recompile the ast message node that triggered the error without optimizations and some rewriting (temps and returns).
Right now it works only for 'if' messages.
For 'while' messages I'm thinking about sending #truthValue to the value of the receiver block.

Have (any of) you looked at implementing the mustBeBooleanMagic by interpreting the bytecodes that already exist in the method via some specialized interpreter instead of compiling a method on the fly?

No but that would be interesting indeed :)
Another solution is to cache the generated methods somewhere instead of recompiling each time.

In the method's properties.