Re: [Pharo-project] Anyone using ImageSegment aut-save on snapshot?

Re: [Pharo-project] Anyone using ImageSegment aut-save on snapshot?

Mariano Martinez Peck
I don't think so:

1) If I remember correctly, that part was broken and I fixed it some time ago. But nobody ever reported that, I found it.
2) Few people is using ImageSegment in general. In fact, I don't know anyone apart from Netstyle.net and Squeak Projects (which are not anymore in Pharo).
3) Not every users of ImageSegment use the default location of the files. I am almost sure Netstyle.net don't do that.

So, if we join 1), 2) and 3), the conclusion is that I don't know anyone who is using this feature. But maybe there are....

I would remove them and, in the future, if needed, do a kind of notification for image renaming where listeners can be registered.

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

There is code in the image that does check on startup for old image segments:

saveImageSegments: previousFullImageName
       "This method is used for example when you save an image with another name. In this case, if there are segments written to files and there are ImageSegment instances, then it copies the file from the previous image location, to the new one. It is like a backup of the segment files when renaming an image. "

And there is code to clean up these files:

reclaimObsoleteSegmentFiles  "ImageSegment reclaimObsoleteSegmentFiles"
       "Delete segment files that can't be used after this image is saved.
       Note that this is never necessary -- it just saves file space.
       This is usually used when we save and quit an image. It has no sense to keep ImageSegment files, if we don't have the ImageSegment object in the new image to recover that file. Thus, those objects that are not reclaimed, will be removed."

Is anyone using this?

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-project] Anyone using ImageSegment aut-save on snapshot?

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 15, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I don't think so:
>
> 1) If I remember correctly, that part was broken and I fixed it some time ago. But nobody ever reported that, I found it.
> 2) Few people is using ImageSegment in general. In fact, I don't know anyone apart from Netstyle.net and Squeak Projects (which are not anymore in Pharo).
> 3) Not every users of ImageSegment use the default location of the files. I am almost sure Netstyle.net don't do that.
>
> So, if we join 1), 2) and 3), the conclusion is that I don't know anyone who is using this feature. But maybe there are....
>
> I would remove them and, in the future, if needed, do a kind of notification for image renaming where listeners can be registered.

Ok, then let's remove it.

        Marcus