Re: [Pharo-project] Confused making my first Pharo contribution

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-project] Confused making my first Pharo contribution

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am confused.

I have some changes to MailMessage (a Pharo class) and WAEmailMessage (a Seaside class) and an extension to MailMessage (the method MailMessage>>seasideEmailMessage:from:to:subject:) that I would like to contribute. These changes allow multi-part MIME messages to be created and sent from a Seaside web applicationfo -- r example messages with an HTML part and a plain text part.

Following the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute, I am installing my changes into Pharo 1.2 in preparation for creating a Monticello package for PharoInbox. Here are my problems:

1. One of the steps is "File in your changes and test." I have test classes derived from Sunit. Pharo 1.2 core doesn't seem to include Sunit. Should I test manually and not include the Sunit tests in the package I submit?

2. I assume the MailMessage extension described above belongs in a Seaside update. Is this true?

Yes, I guess so.

3. The Seaside changes cannot load without first loading the Pharo changes since the multi-part message is created using Pharo's MailMessage . How is this kind of dependency handled? Should I wait for a Seaside distribution on a version of Pharo that includes my changes before submitting the Seaside package? It seems like this could take a long time.

I think this is a little complicated case ;)
So...My suggestions is:

- First, ask in both mailing list if both parts are interested in such fixes. I guess both will be.
- Then, integrate the fix in Pharo (changes to MailMessage and tests)
- Once this is integrated in Pharo, you can ask Seaside developers to commit the part of seaside.

4. Should I make this a Seaside-only package and extend Pharo's MailMessage in that package?

I don't know.I cc'ed the seaside developers.

Cheers

mariano

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,