Re: [Pharo-project] Linux VM (was TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2))

Re: [Pharo-project] Linux VM (was TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2))

laurent laffont
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Bryce Kampjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 08:12 +0100, laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Now I know how to build my own squeak vm with FT2Plugin (yeepeee !!).
>  So:
>

> Linux + FT2Plugin + Squeak vm = success
> Linux + FT2Plugin + Exupery vm = fails
>

> I put the built vm here:
> http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-src-with-FT2Plugin.tar.gz

If it's font related then the Exupery VMs also have a patched bitlbt for
subpixel antialiasing. The true type code uses that to make fonts look a
bit nicer.

Besides that the Exupery VMs should be very close to Squeak VMs
(ignoring version differences) except for a few changes to allow them to
run native code instead of interpreting.

Thank you Bryce for infos.

How can I build an Exupery VM ?

I think we should clean the linux download section of pharo website to have:
- generated src (32 and 64 bits) so people can build an "official" vm with configure / make / make install.  Very helpful for packagers too.
- a clean pre-built version for the one-click image.

Which VM should we propose ? Squeak or Exupery ?  (And note we can have more choice on the wiki for "power users". I think we should put only one VM download on pharo website).

Cheers,

Laurent

Bryce

Re: Linux VM (was TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2))

Bryce Kampjes
On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 07:52 +0100, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Bryce Kampjes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How can I build an Exupery VM ?
>
> I think we should clean the linux download section of pharo website to
> have:
> - generated src (32 and 64 bits) so people can build an "official" vm
> with configure / make / make install.  Very helpful for packagers too.
> - a clean pre-built version for the one-click image.
>

> Which VM should we propose ? Squeak or Exupery ?  (And note we can
> have more choice on the wiki for "power users". I think we should put
> only one VM download on pharo website).

There some dated instructions here:
        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5672

Building an Exupery VM is identical to building a normal VM, just add a
few files for the Exupery plugin (which you don't need unless you want
to run Exupery), and get VMMaker from the Exupery project on
SqueakSource rather than the regular location.

I'm still a bit short of time and am focussing on:
  * Getting inlining working in Exupery
  * Adding closure support to Exupery (the JIT not the interpreter).

There's generated source available for the Exupery VMs here:
      http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/

There are pre-built images (the pre-built Exupery images) and the
process to build them is automated using Universes. I'll update that to
use more modern tools closer to the next Exupery release.

For now, I'd suggest using whichever VM works best unless there's some
critical problems with both.

Bryce