Re: [Pharo-project] Networking change in Pharo 1.2?

Re: [Pharo-project] Networking change in Pharo 1.2?

Chris Muller-3
> The only change to NetNameResolver was this:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1853

Reverting this change fixed it.

Re: [Pharo-project] Networking change in Pharo 1.2?

Chris Muller-3
Thank you too; it was a bruising problem I'm glad to have it identified.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>>> The only change to NetNameResolver was this:
>>>
>>>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1853
>>
>> Reverting this change fixed it.
>>

> Thanks! I have opend the issue again for 1.2.2 and 1.3
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: [Pharo-project] Networking change in Pharo 1.2?

Chris Muller-3
Just bench it:

Before change:

  [ NetNameResolver localHostAddress ] bench   " '34,000 per second.' "

After change:

  [ NetNameResolver localHostAddress ] bench   " '31 per second.' "

In just looking at the reason given for making the change, it says
this is to satisfy an _exceptional_ case; e.g., the case where "no
network connection is available."

Then I look at the new code called by #localHostAddress and becomes obvious why:

isConnected
        "Dirty, but avoids fixing the plugin bug"
        [NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.esug.org'.] on:
NameLookupFailure do: [:ex| ^false].
        ^true

A hard-coded nslookup to 'www.esug.org' wrapped in an exception-handler?  Wow!

If this isn't enough, you can run the Magma test-suite to see the
effect on a real-world networking application.

I recommend Pharo crew revert this change and consider a different approach.

 - Chris