Re: [Pharo-project] RB AST serialization

Re: [Pharo-project] RB AST serialization

jfabry
(To pharo-users as I am not on pharo-project, and I think neither is Daniel)

Yes we have been considering various strategies to get it as compact as possible and considering cputime/memory trade-offs (and making it possible to select compression strategies).

But want to get it to work first. These undocumented nodes are the next hurdle: we need some info on RBPragmaNode, RBArrayNode, RBLiteralArrayNode so that Daniel can write the serializer for them.

On 27 Apr 2010, at 01:49, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Daniel what would be really cool is to see if we can compact/zip AST because
> marcus is really interested into slimbinary libraries and having a really strong compaction
> of AST would be an interesting basis for a lot of experience
>
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:45 AM, Daniel Galdames wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm working on a serialization of a RB AST, is in a very very earlier state, it can encode simple ASTs into a string but today i changed the encode methods, so now you can't decode the generated string :-P .Some node from AST-Core can't be encoded yet (RBPragmaNode, RBArrayNode, RBLiteralArrayNode) because I'm not sure what to encode, and the nodes aren't documented, at least in Pharo 1.0.
>> Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated!! :-)
>> I uploaded the code in squeaksource:
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/AstSerializer.html
>>
>> I'm a bit new to Smalltalk and Pharo, so feel free to comment...
>> Greetings,
>>  Daniel Galdames G.

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [Pharo-project] RB AST serialization

Lukas Renggli
> But want to get it to work first. These undocumented nodes are the next hurdle: we need some info on RBPragmaNode, RBArrayNode, RBLiteralArrayNode so that Daniel can write the serializer for them.

Never saw the existing comments in the RBProgramNodes. I've added
similar comments the nodes I've added comments to the 3 nodes I've
added:

Name: AST-Core-lr.71
Author: lr
Time: 27 April 2010, 2:47:01 pm
UUID: ba9a9d97-1aa7-4c20-95b0-4c3ed6b59385
Ancestors: AST-Core-lr.70

- added comments to RBPragmaNode, RBArrayNode, RBLiteralArrayNode

Lukas

www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] RB AST serialization

jfabry

Thanks from Daniel and me :-)