Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

12

Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

Tobias Pape
Btw: anyone eager to try out
SqueakSource3 ?
It is available as and alpha Metacello Config.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Am 2011-04-20 um 11:30 schrieb Torsten Bergmann:

>> SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down
>
> Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
> of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)
>
>> Btw: anyone eager to try out
>> SqueakSource3 ?
>> It is available as and alpha Metacello Config.
>
> Does it work with Pharo 1.2 already? Could you post
> a script for people to load and try?

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakSource';
        load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSqueakSource) project version: #development) load.

I've yet to test whether it works in Pharo at all,
however, I tried to focus on portability.
I would be happy with any feedback :)

So Long,
        -Tobias_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
Hi Tobias:

Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
features of Squeaksource3?

I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
some sort of data replication (only ideas
at the moment).

Thanks

Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi Tobias:
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
> features of Squeaksource3?
>
> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
> some sort of data replication (only ideas
> at the moment).

Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi Tobias:
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
> features of Squeaksource3?
>
> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
> some sort of data replication (only ideas
> at the moment).

I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
high on my list.

There are no _really_ distinct features
but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
SqueakSource 2,
• runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
• is highly aimed to run on GemStone
• includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs

I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
is available in SqueakSource3, too.

My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
even the ability to store versions to disk
or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.

I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)

So Long,
        -Tobias_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
2011/4/20 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:

> Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>
>> Hi Tobias:
>>
>> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
>> features of Squeaksource3?
>>
>> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
>> some sort of data replication (only ideas
>> at the moment).
>

> I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
> high on my list.
>
> There are no _really_ distinct features
> but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
> SqueakSource 2,
> • runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
> • is highly aimed to run on GemStone
> • includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs
>
> I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
> eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
> direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
> is available in SqueakSource3, too.
>
> My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
> to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
> For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
> even the ability to store versions to disk
> or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
> also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.
>
> I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)
>
> So Long,
>        -Tobias_______________________________________________

Thanks for the comments Tobías. I've a good idea now and definitely I
will give it a try.

About the replication feature, do you have some ideas in mind?

I was thinking in different possibilities:

1. Develop a feature in the same squeaksource that does this.
2. Use some sort of replicated file system (as XtreemFS:
http://www.xtreemfs.org/). It will require to install it on XtreemOS
(http://www.xtreemos.eu/)
3. Use some nosql horizontally scalable DB (as Riak / Cassandra)
4. Use Magma/Gemstone

But, I repeat, just ideas until now. I was thinking in this feature to
my own use, because I need a reliable store of my source code on my
company.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Ok question:

why don't why have (yet) something to save in something more known, say github?

2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> Ok question:
>
> why don't why have (yet) something to save in something more known, say github?

In my case is for 2 reasons:

1. I don't know nor use Github.

2. I largely prefer open source solutions that I can implement on my
own resources (hardware/datacenter). As far I saw Github is a sort of
cloud service and free only to some projects....Well I don't trust in
such sort of solutions.

I prefer a complete solution I can manage from start to end and were I
don't depend of other companies.

But just an opinion.

Cheers.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
If I understand it right, Github is a social interface to a standard way to create repositories (git)
It's true that it's only free for open projects but isn't squeaksource.com is all about? our MIT stuff?
Plus socializing code could do more good than most people think

On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> Ok question:
>>
>> why don't why have (yet) something to save in something more known, say github?
>>

> In my case is for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. I don't know nor use Github.
>
> 2. I largely prefer open source solutions that I can implement on my
> own resources (hardware/datacenter). As far I saw Github is a sort of
> cloud service and free only to some projects....Well I don't trust in
> such sort of solutions.
>
> I prefer a complete solution I can manage from start to end and were I
> don't depend of other companies.
>
> But just an opinion.
>
> Cheers.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

drush66
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> Ok question:
>>
>> why don't why have (yet) something to save in something more known, say github?
> 2. I largely prefer open source solutions that I can implement on my
> own resources (hardware/datacenter). As far I saw Github is a sort of
> cloud service and free only to some projects....Well I don't trust in
> such sort of solutions.
>
> I prefer a complete solution I can manage from start to end and were I
> don't depend of other companies.

Correct me if I am wrong but technically,  storing on git hub is just
like storing in any other git repository, being it github, your
notebook, or repo inside Mars rover.

I did not thougt this in depth, but if Monticello could store
meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
Smalltalk a lot.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
"... if ... could store
meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
Smalltalk a lot."

Not only visibility because is were the people is but because you can comment code at method level in a social environment.
That makes all the difference. Lists, emails or commenting issues aren't helping on that.
Only the guys that one method to method side by side talking about things are having that experience.
That makes us slower (or more vulnerable to work faster in the wrong things.)

On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>>> Ok question:
>>>
>>> why don't why have (yet) something to save in something more known, say github?
>> 2. I largely prefer open source solutions that I can implement on my
>> own resources (hardware/datacenter). As far I saw Github is a sort of
>> cloud service and free only to some projects....Well I don't trust in
>> such sort of solutions.
>>
>> I prefer a complete solution I can manage from start to end and were I
>> don't depend of other companies.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but technically,  storing on git hub is just
> like storing in any other git repository, being it github, your
> notebook, or repo inside Mars rover.
>
> I did not thougt this in depth, but if Monticello could store
> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
> Smalltalk a lot.
>
> Davorin Rusevljan
> http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
Sorry with my lack of knowledgment, but all this is not SmalltalkHub?
Or the difference you are pointing is that is not integrated with the
rest of people/languages as in Github?

2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> "... if ... could store
> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
> Smalltalk a lot."
>
> Not only visibility because is were the people is but because you can comment code at method level in a social environment.
> That makes all the difference. Lists, emails or commenting issues aren't helping on that.
> Only the guys that one method to method side by side talking about things are having that experience.
> That makes us slower (or more vulnerable to work faster in the wrong things.)
>

> On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:

>>> 2. I largely prefer open source solutions that I can implement on my
>>> own resources (hardware/datacenter). As far I saw Github is a sort of
>>> cloud service and free only to some projects....Well I don't trust in
>>> such sort of solutions.
>>>
>>> I prefer a complete solution I can manage from start to end and were I
>>> don't depend of other companies.
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong but technically,  storing on git hub is just
>> like storing in any other git repository, being it github, your
>> notebook, or repo inside Mars rover.
>>
>> I did not thougt this in depth, but if Monticello could store
>> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
>> Smalltalk a lot.
>>
>> Davorin Rusevljan
>> http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Sort of... clarifying:

1. not being at all where people is, is actually an issue (from the social POV is a primary issue, from the technical POV is a secondary issue) and
2. commenting at method level is an issue (because we are inefficient in "using society" to help code in projects get better (also to convert newcomers easier)).

If the code isn't exposed (visible in the UI) then we are not socializing code.

Which leads to this question:

If we aren't socializing code in a world that is
1. getting more social (at near-light-speed) and
2. more connected (faster than light)...

then how you can say (and keep your face straight) that you are "inventing the future"?

You are not. Not one the world is clearly demanding (so you'll not have an expanding market, you'll have a shrinking market)

It's only me that see things like this here?

On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Sorry with my lack of knowledgment, but all this is not SmalltalkHub?
> Or the difference you are pointing is that is not integrated with the
> rest of people/languages as in Github?
>
> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> "... if ... could store
>> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
>> Smalltalk a lot."
>>
>> Not only visibility because is were the people is but because you can comment code at method level in a social environment.
>> That makes all the difference. Lists, emails or commenting issues aren't helping on that.
>> Only the guys that one method to method side by side talking about things are having that experience.
>> That makes us slower (or more vulnerable to work faster in the wrong things.)

>>> Correct me if I am wrong but technically,  storing on git hub is just
>>> like storing in any other git repository, being it github, your
>>> notebook, or repo inside Mars rover.
>>>
>>> I did not thougt this in depth, but if Monticello could store
>>> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
>>> Smalltalk a lot.
>>>
>>> Davorin Rusevljan
>>> http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
It seems very reasonable what you wrote, only that I'm mostly using
Pharo/Squeak and then not very aware about socializing code in other
tools.

But if I change my hat of Smalltalk developer by the one of a startup
entrepreneur I can understand what you are saying because this sort of
socialization of code is were other communities are doing efforts
(python, ruby, as I saw).

Even when my main motivation (at the beginning of this thread) was
about an own repo for my own needs, I understand that for open
projects your point is important. And for not open, I saw that Git
itself is open (is what I remembered form Linus).

Exist some other tool (open) as GitHub using Git?

GitHub is the "de facto" site were the most sharing of code is
happening in these days?

Cheers.
Germán.

2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> Sort of... clarifying:
>
> 1. not being at all where people is, is actually an issue (from the social POV is a primary issue, from the technical POV is a secondary issue) and
> 2. commenting at method level is an issue (because we are inefficient in "using society" to help code in projects get better (also to convert newcomers easier)).
>
> If the code isn't exposed (visible in the UI) then we are not socializing code.
>
> Which leads to this question:
>
> If we aren't socializing code in a world that is
> 1. getting more social (at near-light-speed) and
> 2. more connected (faster than light)...
>
> then how you can say (and keep your face straight) that you are "inventing the future"?
>
> You are not. Not one the world is clearly demanding (so you'll not have an expanding market, you'll have a shrinking market)
>
> It's only me that see things like this here?
>

> On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Sorry with my lack of knowledgment, but all this is not SmalltalkHub?
>> Or the difference you are pointing is that is not integrated with the
>> rest of people/languages as in Github?
>>
>> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>>> "... if ... could store
>>> meaningfully into the git repo, that could help wih visibility of
>>> Smalltalk a lot."
>>>
>>> Not only visibility because is were the people is but because you can comment code at method level in a social environment.
>>> That makes all the difference. Lists, emails or commenting issues aren't helping on that.
>>> Only the guys that one method to method side by side talking about things are having that experience.
>>> That makes us slower (or more vulnerable to work faster in the wrong things.)

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

drush66
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Sebastian Sastre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sort of... clarifying:
>
> 1. not being at all where people is, is actually an issue (from the social POV is a primary issue, from the technical POV is a secondary issue) and
> 2. commenting at method level is an issue (because we are inefficient in "using society" to help code in projects get better (also to convert newcomers easier)).
>
> If the code isn't exposed (visible in the UI) then we are not socializing code.
>
> Which leads to this question:
>
> If we aren't socializing code in a world that is
> 1. getting more social (at near-light-speed) and
> 2. more connected (faster than light)...
>
> then how you can say (and keep your face straight) that you are "inventing the future"?
>
> You are not. Not one the world is clearly demanding (so you'll not have an expanding market, you'll have a shrinking market)
>
> It's only me that see things like this here?

err.. some big (buzz)words for me, but:

1) agree that non presence on github is big issue
2) building something like github, but for smalltalk only could be:
    a) huge task
    b) maintenance hog
    c) may result in functionality less stellar than expected because
of a + b, and as result worsening 1

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

SeanTAllen
> GitHub is the "de facto" site were the most sharing of code is
> happening in these days?

Completely.

Re: social coding for smalltalk (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down)

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
"Ahother github" is nutty. I don't see any signal of market space for that. At least not without some radical innovation that the market is probably unprepared to swallow at this point.

So we play the game there or we simply don't change.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> GitHub is the "de facto" site were the most sharing of code is
>> happening in these days?

well there is something on google code as well, to be true. But Google
code is based off the svn, and mercurial.

And then there are package repositories (used by installers), which
tend to be language/environment oriented, like one for ruby, python
etc. I am mentioning this because SqueakSource serves us both purposes
at the moment.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: social coding for smalltalk (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down)

garduino
2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> "Ahother github" is nutty. I don't see any signal of market space for that. At least not without some radical innovation that the market is probably unprepared to swallow at this point.
>
> So we play the game there or we simply don't change.

And do you have some idea about how to integrate SqueakSource,
Monticello and GitHub ?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>
> And do you have some idea about how to integrate SqueakSource,
> Monticello and GitHub ?

Monticello already can save package to different kinds of
repositories. Maybe it could save it to the git? And if it is in Git
then it can be in GitHub.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: social coding for smalltalk (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down)

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Yes: I'd tell Esteban L. this:

1. thank you for not being passive nor neutral about the problem
2. how is you little git thing doing by now?
3. are you getting any help?
4. what you need to get us there faster?

On Apr 20, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2011/4/20 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> "Ahother github" is nutty. I don't see any signal of market space for that. At least not without some radical innovation that the market is probably unprepared to swallow at this point.
>>
>> So we play the game there or we simply don't change.
>>

> And do you have some idea about how to integrate SqueakSource,
> Monticello and GitHub ?
12