Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

laurent laffont
If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.

Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find informations on this.

Cheers.

Laurent

2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2010/1/23 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
I lack knowledge :(

me too :)   Don't worry. We are all trying to do our best.

how can I enable / disable a plugin ?

I don't know if this is possible. Maybe in some Linux/Mac distros maybe how can just delete the files, but in Windows for example, I think they are build inside the vm...

What can I check more precisely ?

I think with this: " SmalltalkImage current listLoadedModules"

What would really help is to:

- See which plugins do you have in each Linux VM, with  that piece of code.
- Check which tests are failing and do a quick review. Because maybe they are failing due to a primitive or something for the VM. We need to discover what is the problem. Not necessary fix it, but at least to know where the problem came from.

Cheers and thanks a lot for the help.

Mariano

Laurent

2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

wow....Laurent: can you check which and why are the tests that are failing in each vm but not in the other ?

maybe because of FTPlugin ?   or another plugin that it is not in both vms but requiered by the tests?

2010/1/23 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>

And with squeak vm there's less failures.

Laurent Laffont

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Linux, exupery VM

Laurent

2010/1/22 Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
Here's the first test run, on a fresh image (see JPEG attached for results).

I just unzipped the files, started Pharo and ran the Test Runner.

No preferences changed, nothing even evaluated in a workspace!

I'm on XP if that helps!

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/24 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.

Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find informations on this.

Me neither. I checked in http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/index.html

but I didn't find anything. There is a squeakVM mailing list. Maybe it would be better to ask there ?

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Adrian Lienhard
I think we should just delete such kind of tests that depend on custom settings and fonts.

Adrian

On Jan 24, 2010, at 15:47 , laurent laffont wrote:

> If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting
> succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.
>
> Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find
> informations on this.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Laurent
>

> 2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>

>> 2010/1/23 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> I lack knowledge :(
>>

>> me too :)   Don't worry. We are all trying to do our best.
>>

>>> how can I enable / disable a plugin ?
>>

>> I don't know if this is possible. Maybe in some Linux/Mac distros maybe how
>> can just delete the files, but in Windows for example, I think they are
>> build inside the vm...
>>

>>> What can I check more precisely ?
>>>

>> I think with this: " SmalltalkImage current listLoadedModules"
>>
>> What would really help is to:
>>
>> - See which plugins do you have in each Linux VM, with  that piece of code.
>>
>> - Check which tests are failing and do a quick review. Because maybe they
>> are failing due to a primitive or something for the VM. We need to discover
>> what is the problem. Not necessary fix it, but at least to know where the
>> problem came from.
>>
>> Cheers and thanks a lot for the help.
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>>> Laurent
>>>

>>> 2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> wow....Laurent: can you check which and why are the tests that are failing

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, that's another possibility. What I was thinking is to put them in expdetedFailures. Something like this:

expectedFailures
    self isTrueTypePluginsInstalled ifFalse: [ ^ #( #test1  #test2 ... ) ]

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think we should just delete such kind of tests that depend on custom settings and fonts.

Adrian

On Jan 24, 2010, at 15:47 , laurent laffont wrote:

> If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting
> succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.
>
> Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find
> informations on this.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Laurent
>

> 2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>

>> 2010/1/23 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> I lack knowledge :(
>>

>> me too :)   Don't worry. We are all trying to do our best.
>>

>>> how can I enable / disable a plugin ?
>>

>> I don't know if this is possible. Maybe in some Linux/Mac distros maybe how
>> can just delete the files, but in Windows for example, I think they are
>> build inside the vm...
>>

>>> What can I check more precisely ?
>>>

>> I think with this: " SmalltalkImage current listLoadedModules"
>>
>> What would really help is to:
>>
>> - See which plugins do you have in each Linux VM, with  that piece of code.
>>
>> - Check which tests are failing and do a quick review. Because maybe they
>> are failing due to a primitive or something for the VM. We need to discover
>> what is the problem. Not necessary fix it, but at least to know where the
>> problem came from.
>>
>> Cheers and thanks a lot for the help.
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>>> Laurent
>>>

>>> 2010/1/23 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> wow....Laurent: can you check which and why are the tests that are failing

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Stéphane Ducasse
I would delete them :)
and keep expected failures to the ones that we should really fix.

Stef
On Jan 24, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Yes, that's another possibility. What I was thinking is to put them in expdetedFailures. Something like this:
>
> expectedFailures
>     self isTrueTypePluginsInstalled ifFalse: [ ^ #( #test1  #test2 ... ) ]
>

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should just delete such kind of tests that depend on custom settings and fonts.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Jan 24, 2010, at 15:47 , laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting
> > succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.
> >
> > Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find
> > informations on this.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Laurent

> >> me too :)   Don't worry. We are all trying to do our best.

> >> I don't know if this is possible. Maybe in some Linux/Mac distros maybe how
> >> can just delete the files, but in Windows for example, I think they are
> >> build inside the vm...

> >> I think with this: " SmalltalkImage current listLoadedModules"
> >>
> >> What would really help is to:
> >>
> >> - See which plugins do you have in each Linux VM, with  that piece of code.
> >>
> >> - Check which tests are failing and do a quick review. Because maybe they
> >> are failing due to a primitive or something for the VM. We need to discover
> >> what is the problem. Not necessary fix it, but at least to know where the
> >> problem came from.
> >>
> >> Cheers and thanks a lot for the help.
> >>
> >> Mariano

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Adrian Lienhard
Mariano, can you create an issue in the tracker with the list of failing tests that are of this sort? Like this I'll delete them in the next update.

Adrian

On Jan 24, 2010, at 20:21 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I would delete them :)
> and keep expected failures to the ones that we should really fix.
>
> Stef
> On Jan 24, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's another possibility. What I was thinking is to put them in expdetedFailures. Something like this:
>>
>> expectedFailures
>>    self isTrueTypePluginsInstalled ifFalse: [ ^ #( #test1  #test2 ... ) ]
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think we should just delete such kind of tests that depend on custom settings and fonts.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Jan 24, 2010, at 15:47 , laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>> If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting
>>> succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.
>>>
>>> Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find
>>> informations on this.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Done: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1870

I wanted to cc Laurent in the issue, but he is not in the list. Can we add him ?

Laurent, Miguel: Can you help us to write this lists? We need to know which are the tests that are failing because the FTPlugin is not compiled.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano, can you create an issue in the tracker with the list of failing tests that are of this sort? Like this I'll delete them in the next update.

Adrian

On Jan 24, 2010, at 20:21 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I would delete them :)
> and keep expected failures to the ones that we should really fix.
>
> Stef
> On Jan 24, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's another possibility. What I was thinking is to put them in expdetedFailures. Something like this:
>>
>> expectedFailures
>>    self isTrueTypePluginsInstalled ifFalse: [ ^ #( #test1  #test2 ... ) ]
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think we should just delete such kind of tests that depend on custom settings and fonts.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Jan 24, 2010, at 15:47 , laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>> If I delete FTPlugin directory found in Exupery vm then TestIndenting
>>> succeed. So FTPlugin + Exupery + Linux = TestIndenting fails.
>>>
>>> Someone know how can I compile squeak vm with FTPlugin ? I cannot find
>>> informations on this.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 24.01.2010 21:18, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Done: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1870
>
> I wanted to cc Laurent in the issue, but he is not in the list. Can we
> add him ?
>
> Laurent, Miguel: Can you help us to write this lists? We need to know
> which are the tests that are failing because the FTPlugin is not compiled.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
I've not looked into it, but look for tests which assume hardcoded
font-dimensions.
An alternate approach is of course to rewrite the tests to get this info
from the current font, the way to do this might be different for
Bitmap/TrueType/Bitmap with alpha fonts though.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

laurent laffont
It's the opposite for me :)

TestIndenting>>testCR2 and TestIndenting>>testNewLineLeaveSpacesOnOldLine fails because FTPlugin is here (in exupery). If I delete FTPlugin directory, these tests succeed.

Laurent

On 24.01.2010 21:36, laurent laffont wrote:
It's the opposite for me :)

TestIndenting>>testCR2 and TestIndenting>>testNewLineLeaveSpacesOnOldLine fails because FTPlugin is here (in exupery). If I delete FTPlugin directory, these tests succeed.

Laurent
Technically, the tests don't fail because the Plugin no longer exists (ie, these tests failing does not indicate there's anything wrong with the plugin), but because a font which satisfies the hardcoded assumptions about width is used when no FreeType-fonts are availiable. ;)

Cheers,
Henry

2010/1/24 Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]>
On 24.01.2010 21:36, laurent laffont wrote:
It's the opposite for me :)

TestIndenting>>testCR2 and TestIndenting>>testNewLineLeaveSpacesOnOldLine fails because FTPlugin is here (in exupery). If I delete FTPlugin directory, these tests succeed.

Laurent
Technically, the tests don't fail because the Plugin no longer exists (ie, these tests failing does not indicate there's anything wrong with the plugin), but because a font which satisfies the hardcoded assumptions about width is used when no FreeType-fonts are availiable. ;)

You're right. The test results depends on the font that is choosed as default font. May be the tests should change the Form object font ?

Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

laurent laffont
Hi,

Now I know how to build my own squeak vm with FT2Plugin (yeepeee !!).  So:

Linux + FT2Plugin + Squeak vm = success
Linux + FT2Plugin + Exupery vm = fails

The squeak binary is build/squeak.

I will have less time from today as I'm starting a new job.

Cheers,

Laurent

2010/1/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Now I know how to build my own squeak vm with FT2Plugin (yeepeee !!).  So:

Linux + FT2Plugin + Squeak vm = success
Linux + FT2Plugin + Exupery vm = fails

The squeak binary is build/squeak.

Thanks Laurent!

I will have less time from today as I'm starting a new job.

Good luck! In smalltalk ?

[...]

No :( , PHP + Java

Laurent

Re: [Pharo-project] TestIndenting fails with Exupery (was: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2)

Bryce Kampjes
On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 08:12 +0100, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Now I know how to build my own squeak vm with FT2Plugin (yeepeee !!).
>  So:
>

> Linux + FT2Plugin + Squeak vm = success
> Linux + FT2Plugin + Exupery vm = fails
>

> I put the built vm here:
> http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-src-with-FT2Plugin.tar.gz

If it's font related then the Exupery VMs also have a patched bitlbt for
subpixel antialiasing. The true type code uses that to make fonts look a
bit nicer.

Besides that the Exupery VMs should be very close to Squeak VMs
(ignoring version differences) except for a few changes to allow them to
run native code instead of interpreting.

Bryce