Re: [Pharo-project] where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Re: [Pharo-project] where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Usman Bhatti
Doru,

In the meantime, can we revert to CogVM because currently we cannot see the status of fixes and we cannot go any further with Moose 4.8 or may be create parallel jobs on Cog and Pharo vms ?

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Where should I report Pharo VM crashes with Pharo 2.0?

In particular, I wanted to report the problem related to running Moose tests from the command line:

---
You can reproduce it on Mac, quite consistently: just run the attached script (you need to have wget installed), or do it manually:

1. download and unzip the latest Moose 4.8:
https://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/Moose-latest-dev-4.8/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Moose-latest-dev-4.8.zip
2. download and unzip the latest Pharo VM:
http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/ci/vm/pharo/mac/pharo-mac-latest.zip
3. execute:
./Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Moose-latest-dev-4.8.image moosetest

The VM crashes, but there is no trace of the error.
---

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: [Pharo-project] where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Tudor Girba-2
It would be good to have a parallel job, but the problem is that you will get a message saying that the VM is too old for the Pharo 2.0 image.

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
not really true... the old vm should appear just in really old vm builds (there was a bug last week introduced in the last moment that was showing again the warning, but that is fixed now).

now... I would really like you to stay using the new vms, and report the crashes so we can work on them... we cannot blindly fix, you now :)

Esteban

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
not really true... the old vm should appear just in really old vm builds (there was a bug last week introduced in the last moment that was showing again the warning, but that is fixed now).

now... I would really like you to stay using the new vms, and report the crashes so we can work on them... we cannot blindly fix, you now :)

Agreed, I proposed it because we didn't know when the bug was going to be fixed and with this bug, we do not see the progress of our bug fixes in Moose 4.8. But now that you say you'll have a look today (and hopefully it's fixed today :-), there's no need to create a parallel job on Cog.

usman

[...]

Doru, I just compiled a new version of the VM, that mixes a merge from latest Eliot sources with a lot of work in the optimization flags to prevent random crashes (yes, I hate C and its nondeterministic behavior for VMs :P).
Moose tests are now not crashing in my machine (both in mac and unix... didn't tested in windows).

Can you check if this solves the problem?

cheers,
[...]

Great.

I ran the tests locally and it did not crash!

I now switched the Jenkins job to use the new Pharo VM, but it did not work. Perhaps the VM did not make it all the way to the ZeroConf scripts. I used this:
wget --quiet -qO - http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/ci/script/ciPharo20NBCogVM.sh | bash

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."