Re: [Pharo-users] Compiling cog 2363 in gentoo (amd 64)

Re: [Pharo-users] Compiling cog 2363 in gentoo (amd 64)

Mariano Martinez Peck

Thanks Panu. It is really nice when people spend time to document and share their findings.
I cc'ed the VM mailing list. I don't know why but something tell me that the UUID was finally fixes in latest VMMaker (not sure at all. And even less sure in Cog).

Thanks!

mariano

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Panu Suominen <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I hit the UUID problem that crashes VM and had to compile virtual
machine from scratch to get rid of it.
I assumed that to be easy job, but it took a while. To help others I
document the steps I had to take to build revision 2363 of Cog vm on
Gentoo (amd 64bit).
1) fetch sources from svn (svn export
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog cog-vm)
2) 32bit chroot environment. Just could not make it compile without it
(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2)
3) emerge xorg-x11 to 32bit environment. One could probably emerge
something smaller but thid did the trick for plugin(s) requiring
OpenGL.
3) configure as the unixbuild/HowToBuild guides.
4) add #define HAVE_UUID_H to configure.h under bld-directory.
5) change platforms/unix/plugins/UUIDPlugin/sqUnixUUID.c
#include <uuid.h> -> #include <uuid/uuid.h>
6) make as the unixbuild/HowToBuild guides

It is likely that these changes could (and should) be made to the
source files and configuration script so that no manual steps would be
required. However I did not have time to do it. But when I finnish all
the pending tasks postponed by this sideroute I try to see
if I could propose a patch.

--
Panu

Re: [Pharo-users] Compiling cog 2363 in gentoo (amd 64)

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

(pine can't quote your mail)

2363 is pretty unstable, it crashes a few seconds after startup on Ubuntu
10.04. Try building from 2361, or use the prebuilt 2361 and remove
UUIDPlugin. Optionally you can try using my prebuilt version of the
patched plugin, which is available here:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/so.UUIDPlugin
You should rename it to UUIDPlugin after downloading.

Levente