classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pharo-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thanks for all the replies - this is great!
>> Got it.  In Squeak, this was the mechanism I used to keep objects from different domains separate,
> it did not.
I meant conceptually and visually - the metaphor (seemed to me) of stepping into another room in a house filled with objects, so I could put all my financial stuff "in my home office" and my reference books "in the study."

>> Is there a similar (or better) mechanism for this in Pharo?
> Classes?
<snip>
> I think that you misunderstand projects and also the purpose of classes and instances.
> May be you should read some of the books available on my web page like the art of object-oriented programming.
Please understand that I am grateful beyond words that people I don't know ( yet :) ) have created, and are maintaining and improving software and reference materials that are transforming my understanding of what's possible with computers.  And...

I'm good with OOP (and I read every book about OOP and Smalltalk I could get my hands on, including a few of yours, and enjoyed them all).  What I'm not grokking is: my understanding of Squeak (which I applied to Pharo) from all of Alan Kay's work is that it's moving closer toward an "application-less" virtual world, where all objects can communicate with all others - instead of Microsoft Money holding my financial data hostage in a proprietary data file, and Apple holding my notes in Mail.app data files, *I* hold all these objects (and the system itself), all written in Smalltalk, so I have complete control over my computer world.

Now... what I am curious about (and haven't found a book to address), is what (if any) are the strategies one uses to conceptually make sense of a virtual world of possibly thousands of (normally, mostly) unrelated objects.  

For example, 9 out of 10 times, I probably don't care that I have journal entries alive in my image when I'm processing receipts, but the one time I want to cross-reference the journal for keywords for certain purchases, I want access to them.

And all I've seen in reference books is how to develop "an application" in Squeak/Pharo i.e. code that does one conceptual thing e.g. moves a turtle, rolls a die, creates a laser game - which were all totally great, and also did not give me any insight to this particular question.

Maybe it's something really obvious to a long-time Smalltalker that no one's bothered to write down?!

Thanks again.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pharo-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Michael Roberts-2
It is just classes.  If you want to develop your "home office"
separately from your "study" then you should look to put them in
separate packages that you can load separately. However, consider your
dependencies carefully.  The problem with every object able to touch
every other object leads to spaghetti issues.

cheers,
Mike

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM, DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies - this is great!
>>> Got it.  In Squeak, this was the mechanism I used to keep objects from different domains separate,
>> it did not.
> I meant conceptually and visually - the metaphor (seemed to me) of stepping into another room in a house filled with objects, so I could put all my financial stuff "in my home office" and my reference books "in the study."
>
>>> Is there a similar (or better) mechanism for this in Pharo?
>> Classes?
> <snip>
>> I think that you misunderstand projects and also the purpose of classes and instances.
>> May be you should read some of the books available on my web page like the art of object-oriented programming.
> Please understand that I am grateful beyond words that people I don't know ( yet :) ) have created, and are maintaining and improving software and reference materials that are transforming my understanding of what's possible with computers.  And...
>
> I'm good with OOP (and I read every book about OOP and Smalltalk I could get my hands on, including a few of yours, and enjoyed them all).  What I'm not grokking is: my understanding of Squeak (which I applied to Pharo) from all of Alan Kay's work is that it's moving closer toward an "application-less" virtual world, where all objects can communicate with all others - instead of Microsoft Money holding my financial data hostage in a proprietary data file, and Apple holding my notes in Mail.app data files, *I* hold all these objects (and the system itself), all written in Smalltalk, so I have complete control over my computer world.
>
> Now... what I am curious about (and haven't found a book to address), is what (if any) are the strategies one uses to conceptually make sense of a virtual world of possibly thousands of (normally, mostly) unrelated objects.
>
> For example, 9 out of 10 times, I probably don't care that I have journal entries alive in my image when I'm processing receipts, but the one time I want to cross-reference the journal for keywords for certain purchases, I want access to them.
>
> And all I've seen in reference books is how to develop "an application" in Squeak/Pharo i.e. code that does one conceptual thing e.g. moves a turtle, rolls a die, creates a laser game - which were all totally great, and also did not give me any insight to this particular question.
>
> Maybe it's something really obvious to a long-time Smalltalker that no one's bothered to write down?!
>
> Thanks again.
> Sean
> _______________________________________________
> Pharo-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-users
>