Re: [Pharo-users] Magma benchmarks and stability

Re: [Pharo-users] Magma benchmarks and stability

Igor Stasenko
On 15 March 2012 18:20, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just how slow is Magma? And how stable?
>
> Is it a good choice for an application that will be used by around 200 users
> every day? The application wouldn't need to support a big workload,
> substantially many more queries than insertions.

i think you'd better ask it on magma mailing list:
<[hidden email]>
so people who know things better can see your questions.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-users] Magma benchmarks and stability

Chris Muller-3
Hi Bernat,

The app you describe; where queries make up the majority of processing
and commits a smaller percentage of the processing; is the type of
application that Magma can best support.

By utilizing an HA configuration, additional copies of the repository
are hosted by independent cpu cores, distributing the read load
(queries) as well as a means for providing 24x7 continuous stability.

Still, the answer really depends on the application needs and
implementation.  It is important for the program to be designed in a
sustainable way -- for example never enumerate large collections while
the user is waiting -- you would need to use an indexed collection or
domain-model optimized for the types of application access.  Paying
attention to caching can also be very important.  Under those sorts of
conditions performance is acceptable and sometimes even good.

If you decide to try Magma, you may contact me if you need more specific advice.

 - Chris