Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/6/18, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm working on a programing paradigm and IDE for the personal programmer
> who wants to control his or her IoT. The size of the target audience I
> have in mind is >100 million. I gave up Squeak long ago as a platform
> because they obsolete my code faster than I can write it.  I have now
> frozen Squeak 3.10.2 and hope its runtime will survive until I find a
> better foundation. My hope is that Pharo has a stable kernel that I can
> build on.

Hello Tryge

Good to see that you reconsider to use Smalltalk in 2018, this time Pharo.

Am I assuming correctly that you want to continue to work on your IDE
which the supports the DCI (Data-Context-Interaction) programming
style [1]? The IDE was called "BabyIDE" [2].

In 2015 you wrote to the Squeak mailing  list that you are abandoning
Squeak (Squeak 3.8, 4.5 or 4.6 at that time and Smalltalk as a whole)
in favour of JavaScript, a mainstream language. That you now at least
reconsider to use Smalltalk (Pharo) is an interesting result as it
reinforces the idea that doing things the Smalltalk way is more
promising than going for JavaScript directly [6].

As for loading the BabyIDE into Squeak: It is noteworthy that after 10
years (done around Squeak version 3.8) of maintaining a fork the
Squeakland (Etoys) image has been merged back into Squeak 6.0a trunk.
[5]

I could actually load some of your tools last year into Squeak 6.0a
with very modest fixes last year. [2].

It seems that splitting your IDE enhancements into different parts
which can be treated independently will probably help.

And in addition helpful would be  IMHO to write HOW you construct
these tools and WHY you do it. These will help people to maintain your
code even if the underlying system changes.

It seems worthwhile to try out how it goes with the most recent Squeak
version, Squeak 6.0a trunk [8].

Another option is to wait a few months and look for the bootstrap
version of Pharo 7.
All the code is in readable format on github and various types of
image files may be built  build from it [7].

And the third option is to check out if Cuis (the third Smalltalk
which runs on the OpenSmalltalk [3] VM) suits your needs. [4]

Kind regards

Hannes Hirzel

[6] Of course these days JavaScript cannot be avoided. But it is
preferable to generate it with a Smalltalk tool.
[7] The file format used in Pharo 7 is called Tonel (no exclamation marks!)
[8] Squeak 6.0a trunk download http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/

Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Edgar De Cleene
I have a long list on my hands, but ask community for help Trygve  have his
BabyIDE or new tools he could have in Squeak again.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 08/05/2018, 15:06, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> independently will probably help.

And in addition helpful would be  IMHO to
> write HOW you construct
these tools and WHY you do it. These will help people
> to maintain your
code even if the underlying system changes.

It seems
> worthwhile to try out how it goes with the most recent Squeak
version, Squeak
> 6.0a trunk [8].

Another option is to wait a few months and look for the
> bootstrap
version of Pharo 7.
All the code is in readable format on github and
> various types of
image files may be built  build from it [7].

And the third
> option is to check out if Cuis (the third Smalltalk
which runs on the
> OpenSmalltalk [3] VM) suits your needs. [4]

-------------------

[1] Data-Context-Interaction
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6048
[2] BabySRE
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2550
[3] http://www.opensmalltalk.org/
[4] Cuis
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev ; there is a
> Cuis
mailing list.
[5] Etoys in 2017 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6531

On 5/9/18, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course not. But one of my goals is that future dynabooks will be
> backwards compatible. Recent discussions have shown me that this goal is
> a research project.
> --Trygve

Indeed [1]. And a very interesting one!

Found and read your overview
http://folk.uio.no/trygver/themes/Personal/PP-NIK.pdf

And also the more elaborate draft of a description (50 pages) [2]

http://folk.uio.no/trygver/themes/Personal/pp-index.html
links to
http://folk.uio.no/trygver/themes/Personal/PersonalProgramming.233.zip

For my personal programming needs in Squeak so far I realized that the
'data' part is the easiest one to tackle in terms of backward
compatibility.

And some success in converting data to code forth and back to ease
compatibility. It would be nicer of course to have a homoiconic
notation [3] but still very doable. In particular as the new VMs have
lifted the size constraint for the source code of in methods.

--Hannes

[1] An example is about the work involved to get a 17 year old
'Dynamic essay' from Squeak 3.2 to read in properly into a Squeak 6.0a
trunk image

http://forum.world.st/Dynamic-essay-project-MorphLayoutArticle-on-Bob-s-SuperSwiki-tc5075374.html

Quite some effort and not a full result yet...

Though Squeak has some mechanisms to update classes and objects.

In that thread Edgar de Cleene outlined  the idea of a recursive DNU
mechanism to check out earlier messages from the web

http://forum.world.st/Dynamic-essay-project-MorphLayoutArticle-on-Bob-s-SuperSwiki-tp5075374p5075625.html

Needs much more elaboration ...
-------------------
[2]  Abstract

Computer programming celebrates its platinum jubilee on the 21st of
June, 2018. Exactly 70 years ago, the world's first programmer wrote
the world's first program and then stored and executed it in the
world's first stored program computer; affectionately known as Baby.
The solitary Baby has morphed into billions of computers that are
loosely connected into a single, global machine. Baby's control panel
has morphed into graphical user interfaces (GUI) that empower
everybody to augment their intellect. The consequences are deeply
radical for individuals and society alike. A significant side effect
of the GUI is that the computer has faded into the background and the
user focuses on the immediate needs.

We present DCI, a new programming paradigm that targets structures of
communicating computers. Its goal is readable code that is so
intuitive that everybody can grok it and so comprehensive that expert
programmers will enjoy using it. DCI programming has been tested on
real-life problems. A set of controlled experiments showed that DCI
code is more readable than Java code.

A new programming environment, BabyIDE, targets the single, global
machine. Different GUIs support programmers having different mental
models depending on their interests and proficiency. An MVC system
architecture makes the program fade into the background and lets the
user concentrate on satisfying his or her immediate needs. My approach
is experimental. Smalltalk's universe of objects imitates the single,
global machine and is my proving ground.We give two examples: one for
experts and another for novices. A video1 illustrates the novice IDE.

Our approach is experimental. The universe of objects found in
Smalltalk's image imitates a computer network and is our proving
ground. Squeak 3.10.2 is our laboratory where we experiment with
various versions of BabyIDE.

A great deal of work remains to make BabyIDE generally available and
we are searching for a trailblazer who will take charge of it and take
it out into the world.

Novice Programming,
Single Global Machine,
IOT,
Smart Home,
MVC,
DCI,
BabyIDE,
Smalltalk,
Object Orientation

[3]
http://goran.krampe.se/2016/07/19/spry-is-a-smalltalk/

>> Do you really expect that the dynabook will be 100% backward
>> compatible to Smalltalk-80?
>>
>> Marcus
>
> --
>
> /The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborateto achieve
> a goal. /
> Trygve Reenskaug mailto: [hidden email] <mailto:%[hidden email]>
> Morgedalsvn. 5A http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
> N-0378 Oslo http://fullOO.info
> Norway                     Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Chris Muller-3
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 1:06 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/6/18, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm working on a programing paradigm and IDE for the personal programmer
>> who wants to control his or her IoT. The size of the target audience I
>> have in mind is >100 million. I gave up Squeak long ago as a platform
>> because they obsolete my code faster than I can write it.

I've been able to keep Magma updated since at least Squeak 3.6 with
only a few minor tweaks needed since then, by making sure I did not
let it depend on low-level, implementation-specific things, something
you will also want to do if you want your IDE to live past one or two
Squeak (or Pharo) releases.

>>  I have now
>> frozen Squeak 3.10.2 and hope its runtime will survive until I find a
>> better foundation. My hope is that Pharo has a stable kernel that I can
>> build on.

Not trying to draw a comparison as much as make a clarification but...
if anything, Pharo is a less stable kernel than Squeaks in this area,
because Squeak's philosophy is one that cares about backward
compatibility while Pharo (in the past, at least) actually considers
backward compatibility an inhibition to progress.

Best wishes,
  Chris

Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Trygve

I think you have written an excellent summary about the challenge
presented by object-oriented programming.

GOF book on Design Patterns

    …, it's clear that code won't reveal everything about how a system
will work. [ibid.p.23]

And the development of Pharo and Squeak the last 10..15 years
exemplifies  that this is indeed still a challenge though there are
some examples and ideas how to cope with it.

So is this a case for promoting DCI and related tools (which by itself
goes back 10 years)?

--Hannes

On 5/10/18, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>     this magical force preventing you from staying where you are.
>>>     Both notions are funny alone but they come combined and then they
>>>     turn out to be a non-sensical monster.
>>>
>>>     Let’s take a different approach. Put in everything you say about
>>>     software, libraries, etc the word version. So you can build upon
>>>     Pharo version 3 your own product. You can stay at that version
>>>     and it won’t change. If the software you sell is not 80% pharo
>>>     but your own you should not have a problem just to stay on that
>>>     version because you develop your own stuff. But still the world
>>>     did not stop turning and there is pharo 4. You decide there are a
>>>     few nice features but the work to adjust is too big to take the
>>>     risk. Then there is pharo 5 and you … nahhh not this time….Then
>>>     there is pharo6 and they not only changed the image but also the
>>>     way source code is managed. That prevents you further from
>>>     adjusting. But hey you can still be happy with pharo3 and it does
>>>     not change.
>>>
>>>     So what is the real problem? Yes, money/time is not enough. I
>>>     think there are a lot of people risking their health to promote
>>>     pharo and now we have a consortium that can pay engineers to do
>>>     work on pharo. So let me tell you a future story:
>>>
>>>     You see what pharo is doing and you think it is good. You can
>>>     also see that there are too less resources to proceed in the way
>>>     you need it to go. So you decide to show pharo to the world
>>>     inspiring people with some kind of a vision. The result is that
>>>     more people pay into the consortium and we hire more engineers.
>>>     And then one day the consortium has enough money to pay engineers
>>>     that can care about a LTS (long term support) version of pharo.
>>>     So you can stay on pharo version 3 and still get those annoying
>>>     bugs fixed. And hey this team has also enough time to provide you
>>>     with tools that make a migration to pharo version 4 more easy and
>>>     less annoying for you. And then you have your own product based
>>>     on pharo version 4. And then for version 5, version 6,…. Sounds
>>>     like a dream…but hey…it is indeed realistic. It just depends on
>>>     how the people approach it
>>>
>>>     How does this sound?
>>>
>>>     Norbert

>>     --
>>
>>     /The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborateto
>>     achieve a goal. /
>>     Trygve Reenskaug mailto: [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:%[hidden email]>
>>     Morgedalsvn. 5A http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
>>     <http://folk.uio.no/trygver/>
>>     N-0378 Oslo http://fullOO.info <http://fullOO.info>
>>     Norway Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
>>

> --
>
> /The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborateto achieve
> a goal. /
> Trygve Reenskaug mailto: [hidden email] <mailto:%[hidden email]>
> Morgedalsvn. 5A http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
> N-0378 Oslo http://fullOO.info
> Norway                     Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Re: [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

I am interested in an updated zip file of

     http://fulloo.info/Downloads/BabyIDE.zip     (Squeak 3.10)

Includes Squeak BabyIDE image and Win7-VM.

As you write a new Squeak version will come later.