Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo 5 and retina displays in 2016?

12

Re: Pharo 5 and retina displays in 2017?

Stephane Ducasse-3
retina should be supported.
Now we need to get rid of bug induced by freetype and what would be better is to have the time to breath and think.
Because right now FFI and 64 bits sucked most of the attention of esteban.

For Bloc yes it got more traction but we will know more during PharoDays I imagine.

Stef

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I mentioned this last year - and I’m wondering if there is any news or developments on making Pharo look better on higher end hardware like Macbook’s and Dell’s?

I keep dipping into Pharo but every time I see the blurry screen, it just takes away the shine for me (which is a bit sad)?

Is Bloc getting much traction?

Tim

On 23 Dec 2016, at 09:29, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the update - that is exciting and gives me some hope.

What do we need to do to help bloc advance at pace?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Dec 2016, at 01:22, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim,

it’s coming, but it needs some time: https://twitter.com/aliakseisyrel/status/812065956856025088

On 1 Dec 2016, at 14:44, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

To give people a better view of this - here is the Pharo image next to the mail client (I’m not sure if the screen captures really do it justice as when you scale them down in a picture everything looks fine - however if I zoom into that bottom corner in a second image it might make it more obvious).

I think this has been a problem brewing for a while, but if most contributors don’t have retina screens (although they are getting much more common now) then I guess it goes unnoticed. I suspect in the next few years, as people start replacing machines - it will gain more visibility.

I find it quite distracting when switching from mail or other apps to Pharo and then you notice the fuzziness. Maybe if you spend a few hours in the code you might adjust.

Tim

The following is the bottom corner zoom in to show what I mean by fuzzy:

<PastedGraphic-2.png>
On 30 Nov 2016, at 23:53, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30/11/16 20:32, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
Maybe, but the thing is, you are looking at it half size, in some
sense, when it is on a Retina display. Anyway, to me, it is OK, but
my eyes are no longer what they used to be. I can imagine young
people being more sensitive to it.

Nah, it just is blurry. I've played a bit with krono's vm, and it is
a very noticable difference. Much better readable and less tiring.
And you mostly only notice when trying to go back from HiDPI to low.

Stephan

12