Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo Quality Rules for Beginners

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo Quality Rules for Beginners

Ben Coman
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 17:41, ESTEBAN VILLALOBOS DIAZ via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> My name is Esteban and I will be working on the Pharo Quality Rules for the next few months. The goal is to create different profiles for the rules according to the programming experience of the user. For example, for the beginner profile we would like to check for common mistakes made by people who are just starting with Pharo like:
>
> Sending self as a message (probably because they forgot a . )
> Using False instead of false
> etc..
>
> I would appreciate it if you could share with me other common mistakes that you have seen beginners do, or maybe tell me a bit of your own experience when you started using Pharo :)

- Getting confused between instance-side and class-side, mixing up
which side methods are on.
When getting a DNU maybe check if that message is known on the class-side.

- leaving out the end of statement trailing dot.
An error message like "Blah doesn't understand self" is a bit complex
for a beginner to decipher.

cheers -ben

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo Quality Rules for Beginners

Stéphane Ducasse

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes this one is on our list :)

cheers -ben