Re: [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

Re: [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

Hannes Hirzel
You mean this one (attached)?

How would I use it standalone to translate Smalltalk to JavaScript?

--Hannes

On 3/14/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I was looking for the class you mention, JSCodeGenerator in the
> VMMaker repository, but I did not find it.
>
> Where do I need to go?
>
> Regards
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 3/11/17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hello Alexandre
>>>

>>> Something like this
>>>     https://github.com/ympbyc/LittleSmallscript
>>>
>>> or
>>>

>>>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5860 which refers to
>>>     http://www.squeaksource.com/@xxu3r2Ma7SbqJi3E/1j-SgMCf (74000
>>> downloads).
>>>
>>> People have used it successfully.
>>>
>>> There is probably a Pharo port.
>>>

>> There is also an actual Slang code generator for Javascript, written
>> by Bert Freudenburg and used to generated the VM plugins for the
>> SqueakJS VM. You can find it in the VMMaker package (not VMMaker.oscog)
>> at http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker, see class JSCodeGenerator.
>>
>> Dave

VMMakerJS_bf_Screenshot_2017-03-14.png (41K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-users] [Pharo-dev] Mini Pharo -> JavaScript translator?

David T. Lewis
Hi Hannes,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:43:36AM +0100, H. Hirzel wrote:
> You mean this one (attached)?

Yes, that is the one. Sorry I gave you the wrong package name, it is
'VMMakerJS' not 'VMMaker'.

> How would I use it standalone to translate Smalltalk to JavaScript?

I am not the best person to ask for Javascript, but the basic idea is
that you add classes to a code generator (e.g. JSPluginCodeGenerator),
then ask the code generator to produce a source code string for a method.
I am more familiar with the CCodeGenerator, but I think that JSCodeGenerator
works the same way.

With the CCodeGenerator, you can have it generate C code for any Smalltalk
method, and if the method happens to contain code that is simple enough
to be translated to C then you will get a C function. If the Smalltalk
does not fit into the range of things that can be successfully translated
(aka "slang"), then you get garbage.

I expect that the JSCodeGenerator is the same, except that it emits
Javascript rather than C.

Dave