Re: [Pharo-users] Unable to compile myself Pharo

Re: [Pharo-users] Unable to compile myself Pharo

Ben Coman

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 01:09, Alexandre Garreau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn’t find on the README enough informations (about which dir to use
and what to do once inside), but found some on a random blog on the web
[0], and now built it but it seems it only installed executable binary
stuff under the name of “squeak”, is this normal?  are you sure it’s not
related to the “squeak-vm” debian package?

[0] https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/building-pharo-vm-as-simple-as/

Very sorry to add to your frustration.  I only just followed that link to check which instructions you were using.
Those instructions are deprecated (can anyone edit that page? or publish an updated one?)

Please try...
$ git clone [hidden email]:OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/pharo.cog.spur/build
$ ./mvm

Note this is the tip of development. Alternatively you could find the commit hash from the stable VM and check that out.
Then try image pharo64.zip from http://files.pharo.org/get-files/70/

HTH
cheers -ben

P.S. @esteban, could we get a tag&branch in opensmalltalk-vm repo to mark Pharo's stable VM build.

A branch "pharo-stable" would facilitate one more step above ```git checkout pharo-stable```
to provide a smoother path for people wanting to compile the VM for the first time.
This branch would fast-forward along the mainline when Pharo's next stable VM is determined.
(I expect "squeak-stable" would also be useful to have)

A tag "pharo-stable-20180618" would provide a permanent record for someone is using
one of those stable-VMs in production who needs to branch off that point to apply a hot fix.

Also, when it comes to the Pharo 7 Release, identical matching tags "pharo-release-7.0"
in both opensmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm and pharo-project/pharo would be useful.

Re: [Pharo-users] Unable to compile myself Pharo

Ben Coman

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 20:24, Alexandre Garreau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry I don’t see the difference with what I did (and what is asked for GNU–Linux),

You had indicated you were following these instructions... https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/building-pharo-vm-as-simple-as/
But you can see there has not been much activity in that repo for 12 months... https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/commits/master
You need to build from this repo... https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

except your instructions are for 64bits while my system is 32bits.

I missed that.  I presume you then adapted to do this instead...
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux32x86/pharo.cog.spur/build

Using the pharo.zip (32bits version I guess), and running “squeak pharo/Pharo7.0-SNAPSHOT-32bit-4121d0d.image” gives:

You seem to be trying to use the Squeak VM to run Pharo Images.  That is undefined behaviour.
The Squeak VM and the Pharo VM are build from the same sources, but Pharo links in several C libraries to reuse their functionality rather than reinvent the wheel.

IIUC you shouldn't even get a "squeak" executable if you are building from inside "pharo.cog.spur" but a "pharo" and/or "pharo-ui" executable, so I'm confused
I'm on Windows so I'm not able to check exactly but from memory you should be doing something like...

$ cd opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux32x86/pharo.cog.spur/build
$ ./mvm
$ cd dist
$ ./pharo     # or ./pharo-ui if that exists

cheers -ben