Re: [Pharo-users] potentially useful diagrams

Re: [Pharo-users] potentially useful diagrams

Ben Coman
Thanks Stef. They will be very useful.
I presume the simpler one is for projects you own, and the other is contributing to third-party projects.  It would be good to be explicit by adding such a title to distinguish them.

If your software allows, it might be enhanced by:
* adding sequence numbers
* draw a line to text like "clone" to a bitmap of the matching Pharo menu item

cheers -ben

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

during the last sprint we were brainstorming how we can help people to
understand the git hub setup.
I produced these two diagrams with christophe.

Are they useful for you?

Re: [Pharo-users] potentially useful diagrams

Nicolas Cellier
Hi Stef,
just one thing troubles me: there are two working copies: files on disk and the image by itself.
What are the possible modes of operation?
- operate exclusively from Pharo IDE - and that will take care of allways synching the two copies (user never have to care of the one on disk)
- operate exlcusively from Pharo IDE and interact with low level git API to completely avoid the working copy on disk (the next step)
- operate either from Pharo IDE or any other git client (including command line) and manage to sync the two working copies

Thanks Stef. They will be very useful.
I presume the simpler one is for projects you own, and the other is contributing to third-party projects.  It would be good to be explicit by adding such a title to distinguish them.

If your software allows, it might be enhanced by:
* adding sequence numbers
* draw a line to text like "clone" to a bitmap of the matching Pharo menu item

cheers -ben

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

during the last sprint we were brainstorming how we can help people to
understand the git hub setup.
I produced these two diagrams with christophe.

Are they useful for you?

Re: [Pharo-users] potentially useful diagrams

Stephane Ducasse-3
> Hi Stef,
> just one thing troubles me: there are two working copies: files on disk and
> the image by itself.

Yes :)

> What are the possible modes of operation?
> - operate exclusively from Pharo IDE - and that will take care of allways
> synching the two copies (user never have to care of the one on disk)

This is what you do when you load or merge code.

> - operate exlcusively from Pharo IDE and interact with low level git API to
> completely avoid the working copy on disk (the next step)

I do not think that you can.