Re: [Pharo-users] using glorp and active record

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Pharo-users] using glorp and active record

Esteban A. Maringolo
How did you create the tables? There is a sequence for the ID in the database?
Also, I don't understand why you call it "ActiveRecord".

If you can share some code, DDL of the table, I'll be able to help you better.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

ps: I'm cross replying to the Glorp mailing list.

2016-08-08 11:02 GMT-03:00 Sean Glazier <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get glorp using active record working in pharo 5.
>
> I have a descriptor class for it and the classes inherit from active Record.
>
> I describe the table as:
> tableForAnswer: aTable
> | vistorId questionId |
> (aTable createFieldNamed: 'id' type: platform serial) bePrimaryKey.
> questionId := aTable createFieldNamed: 'questionId' type: platform integer.
> vistorId := aTable createFieldNamed: 'vistorId' type: platform integer.
> aTable createFieldNamed: 'answer' type: platform text.
> aTable
> addForeignKeyFrom: vistorId
> to: ((self tableNamed: 'VISITORS') fieldNamed: 'ID')
> suffixExpression:
> 'MATCH SIMPLE
>       ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE'.
> aTable
> addForeignKeyFrom: questionId
> to: ((self tableNamed: 'QUESTIONS') fieldNamed: 'ID')
> suffixExpression:
> 'MATCH SIMPLE
>       ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE'
>
>
> the table in the DB was preexisting.
>
> when I do Answer findAll
>
> I get and error that it is expecting a number for the id field.
>
> in the PostgresSQLPlaform serial is defined thusly.
> serial
> "For postgresql, we use sequences, and explicitly get the values ourselves,
> so just tell the database that they're integers."
>
> ^self typeNamed: #serial ifAbsentPut: [GlorpSerialType new typeString:
> 'integer'].
>
> What the DB hands back is 'nextval('answers_id_seq'::regclass)' which seems
> correct if it is telling me that there exists a sequence for this field and
> that is the correct command to issue for the field.
>
> am I defining this table incorrectly? or should I bag using active Record. I
> kind of liked it when working in Visualworks because there were also tools
> that would read in and describe the tables and then tools to assit when you
> needed to migrate to another version and do the changes etc.
>
> FYI this is the query that is being run that fails.
> SELECT t1.table_name, t1.table_schema, t1.column_name, t1.is_nullable,
> t1.data_type, t1.column_default, t1.character_maximum_length,  EXISTS
> (SELECT DISTINCT 'x'
>  FROM ((INFORMATION_SCHEMA.table_constraints s1t1 INNER JOIN
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.key_column_usage s1t3 ON ((s1t1.table_name =
> s1t3.table_name) AND ((s1t1.table_schema = s1t3.table_schema) AND
> (s1t1.constraint_name = s1t3.constraint_name)))) INNER JOIN
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.columns s1t2 ON (((s1t3.column_name = s1t2.column_name)
> AND (s1t3.table_schema = s1t2.table_schema)) AND (s1t3.table_name =
> s1t2.table_name)))
>  WHERE ((s1t1.constraint_type = 'PRIMARY KEY') AND ((s1t2.column_name =
> t1.column_name) AND (((s1t2.table_schema = t1.table_schema) AND
> (s1t2.table_name = t1.table_name)) AND ((s1t2.table_schema =
> t1.table_schema) AND (s1t2.table_name = t1.table_name))))))
>  FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.columns t1
>  WHERE ((t1.table_name = 'answers') AND (t1.table_schema = 'public'))
>
>
>
> it looks as though it is reading in the schema and is expecting and integer
> because we told it to in the serial method on the PostgesSQLPlatform.
>
> As much as I love diving into these frameworks to figure out the deep inner
> workings, I really need to be getting data in and out without a fuss.
>
> Should I follow the DBX example where the descriptor is orthogonal to the
> model and one does not subclass from active record?
>
> I also note that not all the glorp tests pass. I think the were rather minor
> fails like timezone issues or something. It took a while but the test
> created a number of tables in the DB.
>
> So again Have I done something Obtuse that I qught to be slapped for here?
>
> thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "glorp-group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/glorp-group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Pharo-users] using glorp and active record

Alan Knight
The ActiveRecord part is a descriptor system I wrote that followed Ruby on Rails conventions and constructed the mappings automatically based on those. In order to do that, it was querying INFORMATION_SCHEMA for the table details. I don't think it was ever widely used, so it is probably somewhat fragile.

It's not clear from this information exactly what's failing. The query doesn't mention an id field. Also, note that cascading deletes in the database might confuse Glorp if you're not careful.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 8:02 AM Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
How did you create the tables? There is a sequence for the ID in the database?
Also, I don't understand why you call it "ActiveRecord".

If you can share some code, DDL of the table, I'll be able to help you better.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

ps: I'm cross replying to the Glorp mailing list.

2016-08-08 11:02 GMT-03:00 Sean Glazier <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get glorp using active record working in pharo 5.
>
> I have a descriptor class for it and the classes inherit from active Record.
>
> I describe the table as:
> tableForAnswer: aTable
> | vistorId questionId |
> (aTable createFieldNamed: 'id' type: platform serial) bePrimaryKey.
> questionId := aTable createFieldNamed: 'questionId' type: platform integer.
> vistorId := aTable createFieldNamed: 'vistorId' type: platform integer.
> aTable createFieldNamed: 'answer' type: platform text.
> aTable
> addForeignKeyFrom: vistorId
> to: ((self tableNamed: 'VISITORS') fieldNamed: 'ID')
> suffixExpression:
> 'MATCH SIMPLE
>       ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE'.
> aTable
> addForeignKeyFrom: questionId
> to: ((self tableNamed: 'QUESTIONS') fieldNamed: 'ID')
> suffixExpression:
> 'MATCH SIMPLE
>       ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE'
>
>
> the table in the DB was preexisting.
>
> when I do Answer findAll
>
> I get and error that it is expecting a number for the id field.
>
> in the PostgresSQLPlaform serial is defined thusly.
> serial
> "For postgresql, we use sequences, and explicitly get the values ourselves,
> so just tell the database that they're integers."
>
> ^self typeNamed: #serial ifAbsentPut: [GlorpSerialType new typeString:
> 'integer'].
>
> What the DB hands back is 'nextval('answers_id_seq'::regclass)' which seems
> correct if it is telling me that there exists a sequence for this field and
> that is the correct command to issue for the field.
>
> am I defining this table incorrectly? or should I bag using active Record. I
> kind of liked it when working in Visualworks because there were also tools
> that would read in and describe the tables and then tools to assit when you
> needed to migrate to another version and do the changes etc.
>
> FYI this is the query that is being run that fails.
> SELECT t1.table_name, t1.table_schema, t1.column_name, t1.is_nullable,
> t1.data_type, t1.column_default, t1.character_maximum_length,  EXISTS
> (SELECT DISTINCT 'x'
>  FROM ((INFORMATION_SCHEMA.table_constraints s1t1 INNER JOIN
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.key_column_usage s1t3 ON ((s1t1.table_name =
> s1t3.table_name) AND ((s1t1.table_schema = s1t3.table_schema) AND
> (s1t1.constraint_name = s1t3.constraint_name)))) INNER JOIN
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.columns s1t2 ON (((s1t3.column_name = s1t2.column_name)
> AND (s1t3.table_schema = s1t2.table_schema)) AND (s1t3.table_name =
> s1t2.table_name)))
>  WHERE ((s1t1.constraint_type = 'PRIMARY KEY') AND ((s1t2.column_name =
> t1.column_name) AND (((s1t2.table_schema = t1.table_schema) AND
> (s1t2.table_name = t1.table_name)) AND ((s1t2.table_schema =
> t1.table_schema) AND (s1t2.table_name = t1.table_name))))))
>  FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.columns t1
>  WHERE ((t1.table_name = 'answers') AND (t1.table_schema = 'public'))
>
>
>
> it looks as though it is reading in the schema and is expecting and integer
> because we told it to in the serial method on the PostgesSQLPlatform.
>
> As much as I love diving into these frameworks to figure out the deep inner
> workings, I really need to be getting data in and out without a fuss.
>
> Should I follow the DBX example where the descriptor is orthogonal to the
> model and one does not subclass from active record?
>
> I also note that not all the glorp tests pass. I think the were rather minor
> fails like timezone issues or something. It took a while but the test
> created a number of tables in the DB.
>
> So again Have I done something Obtuse that I qught to be slapped for here?
>
> thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "glorp-group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/glorp-group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "glorp-group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/glorp-group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Loading...