Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

Wow!

#Not #Fail #WorstAdvertisingEver

Please, take 30 seconds to remove that crap before too many people read it...

P.S. it's one thing to express yourself like that on a mailing list, it's another one to put it upfront on a blog...

On 2020-01-30 02:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
Hi

Tired of boring and dull discussions about the past?
Tired and bored about the fact that the discussions are not about Pharo but about X, Z, K?
Want to get in touch with other real pharo users?
Want to have positive and nice discussions about Pharo?

This mailing-list is for you

I created a new mailing-list for Pharo 4 Pharo.
The idea of this new mailing-list is to exchange between Pharo users on Pharo.

If you want to talk about the weather and other cool fishing practices or how other languages are super cool,
then you should use another mailing-list.

You can consider that I’m
[ ]  an asshole
[ ]  an arrogant idiot
[ ]  other
This is not my concern.

My concern is: can we respect Pharo and users of Pharo that want to share what they are doing
and ask questions about their language?

If you join this mailing-list be warned that I (yes me the benevolent dictator of Pharo) will remove you from the mailing-list
when you get on my nerves.

If you do not like it, do not like me, do not appreciate it, do not join!

S.

BTW they are plenty of newsgroups about Smalltalk and you can join there.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

Paul DeBruicker
+1

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list wrote

> Wow!
>
> That post on Pharo Weekly (
> https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2020/01/30/ann-pharo-4-pharo-mailing-list/
> ) really sets a great welcoming ambiance for any newcomer interested by
> Pharo who'll read that or who'll stumble on it by accident while
> googling "Pharo+mailing+list" !
>
> #Not #Fail #WorstAdvertisingEver
>
> Please, take 30 seconds to remove that crap before too many people read
> it...
>
> P.S. it's one thing to express yourself like that on a mailing list,
> it's another one to put it upfront on a blog...
>
> On 2020-01-30 02:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Tired of boring and dull discussions about the past?
>> Tired and bored about the fact that the discussions are not about
>> Pharo but about X, Z, K?
>> Want to get in touch with other real pharo users?
>> Want to have positive and nice discussions about Pharo?
>>
>> This mailing-list is for you

>> I created a new mailing-list for Pharo 4 Pharo.
>> The idea of this new mailing-list is to exchange between Pharo users
>> on Pharo.
>>
>> If you want to talk about the weather and other cool fishing practices
>> or how other languages are super cool,
>> then you should use another mailing-list.
>>
>> You can consider that I’m
>> [ ]  an asshole
>> [ ]  an arrogant idiot
>> [ ]  other
>> This is not my concern.
>>
>> My concern is: can we respect Pharo and users of Pharo that want to
>> share what they are doing
>> and ask questions about their language?
>>
>> If you join this mailing-list be warned that I (yes me the benevolent
>> dictator of Pharo) will remove you from the mailing-list
>> when you get on my nerves.
>>
>> If you do not like it, do not like me, do not appreciate it, do not join!
>>
>> S.
>>
>> BTW they are plenty of newsgroups about Smalltalk and you can join there.

>> Stéphane Ducasse
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
>> 03 59 35 87 52
>> Assistant: Julie Jonas
>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>> 40, avenue Halley,
>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>> France
>>
> --
> -----------------
> Benoît St-Jean
> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
> Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
> Pinterest: benoitstjean
> Instagram: Chef_Benito
> IRC: lamneth
> GitHub: bstjean
> Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
> "A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

ducasse
You see this is several times that I gently ask if we can move on.
And regularly we get the same.

So I can also live pharo-dev.
At the end of the day we cannot have the cake and eat it too.

So you can consider that I’m an asshole. I’m probably that.
Now I’m super super fedup to have to jump over some thread.
I quit newsgroups in the past because of that. I quit Pharo-users because of that.

When I want to read about X Z Y and this is not related to Pharo then I google the Web.

S.

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

Esteban A. Maringolo
What would be the difference with the Pharo-Users mailing list?

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 4:34 AM Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tired of boring and dull discussions about the past?
> Tired and bored about the fact that the discussions are not about Pharo but about X, Z, K?
> Want to get in touch with other real pharo users?
> Want to have positive and nice discussions about Pharo?
>
> This mailing-list is for you

> I created a new mailing-list for Pharo 4 Pharo.
> The idea of this new mailing-list is to exchange between Pharo users on Pharo.
>
> If you want to talk about the weather and other cool fishing practices or how other languages are super cool,
> then you should use another mailing-list.
>
> You can consider that I’m
> [ ]  an asshole
> [ ]  an arrogant idiot
> [ ]  other
> This is not my concern.
>
> My concern is: can we respect Pharo and users of Pharo that want to share what they are doing
> and ask questions about their language?
>
> If you join this mailing-list be warned that I (yes me the benevolent dictator of Pharo) will remove you from the mailing-list
> when you get on my nerves.
>
> If you do not like it, do not like me, do not appreciate it, do not join!
>
> S.
>
> BTW they are plenty of newsgroups about Smalltalk and you can join there.

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Julie Jonas
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
> France

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

ducasse
Hi esteban

> What would be the difference with the Pharo-Users mailing list?

A mailing-list where we do not talk about
        - how smalltalk was cool
        - other languages
        - strange polls
A mailing-list about Pharo for Pharo users.
where we can talk and answers questions about Pharo and its business and ecosystem.

There are plenty of super cool smalltalk newsgroups. Why not registering there?

Now we have to jump over all kind of discussions that have nothing to do about Pharo.
And I’m not in anymore.
It still does not mean that newbies and none core-dev pharo people has to suffer this **plague**

There is no need to remember new people in permanence that Smalltalk is a friend of Cobol.

If we want busy people to help, we should stop forcing them to jump over and filter irrelevant mails.

S.

> Esteban A. Maringolo
>
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 4:34 AM Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Tired of boring and dull discussions about the past?
>> Tired and bored about the fact that the discussions are not about Pharo but about X, Z, K?
>> Want to get in touch with other real pharo users?
>> Want to have positive and nice discussions about Pharo?
>>
>> This mailing-list is for you

>> I created a new mailing-list for Pharo 4 Pharo.
>> The idea of this new mailing-list is to exchange between Pharo users on Pharo.
>>
>> If you want to talk about the weather and other cool fishing practices or how other languages are super cool,
>> then you should use another mailing-list.
>>
>> You can consider that I’m
>> [ ]  an asshole
>> [ ]  an arrogant idiot
>> [ ]  other
>> This is not my concern.
>>
>> My concern is: can we respect Pharo and users of Pharo that want to share what they are doing
>> and ask questions about their language?
>>
>> If you join this mailing-list be warned that I (yes me the benevolent dictator of Pharo) will remove you from the mailing-list
>> when you get on my nerves.
>>
>> If you do not like it, do not like me, do not appreciate it, do not join!
>>
>> S.
>>
>> BTW they are plenty of newsgroups about Smalltalk and you can join there.

>> Stéphane Ducasse
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
>> 03 59 35 87 52
>> Assistant: Julie Jonas
>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>> 40, avenue Halley,
>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>> France

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

Nobody said we were against such a mailing list! But, just as you, there are topics I skip on the mailing list. No harm done, quick & easy to do!

But one should never refrain from talking about other Smalltalk environments on a Smalltalk/Pharo list : if VisualAge, or VisualWorks, or Dolphin, or Squeak, or ObjectStudio, or VSE or any other Smalltalk can inspire us to make Pharo better, I don't think that saying "Dolphin really has a great look & feel for Windows app" is equivalent to saying "VisualWorks sucks" or "Pharo is crap" ! I could talk for hours at what those Smalltalk products rock.  I could also talk for hours at what those Smalltalk products suck. I could talk for hours about why product X is better that product Y for job Z.  That doesn't mean one product is crap and the other one is perfect! Every Smalltalk product has strengths and weaknesses.  Why shouldn't we be inspired by great features of other products that Pharo doesn't yet have?  Criticism of Pharo (or praise of other products) doesn't mean we hate or despise Pharo!  It just means that we care. And that we can make it better!

Also, inevitably you'll have non-Pharo & non-Smalltalk related topics sometimes popping up on the mailing list. Am I interested by digital image formats? Nope.  So if I see a thread about someone who wants to develop a library to read the FITS format (Flexible Image Transport System, used in astronomy mainly), chances are we'll see posts about astronomy & FITS for 2-3 days. I don't mind since, in the end, it still is Smalltalk-related!

On the topic of "Why is [insert your favorite non-Smalltalk programming language here] better than Smalltalk/Pharo?", I gave up that kind of discussion years ago... And on the rare occasions when I have it, I have it in private.  You'll always find a moron who thinks GW-BASIC + DOS 4.1 + dBase is the way to go.  I don't waste time with those people anymore! lol

Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Pharo4pharo mailing-list announce

ducasse
Hi benoit

I’m abrupt and I know it and I did it conciously. Of course we can let it go and add more filters to trash
emails or refuse :)

I suggested to the board to create a list Pharo-chat where people can chat if they need and i will not be in the mailing-list.
And that we focus pharo-users around pharo.
I care that we can discuss about pharo and help people around.

People may ask themselves why few people from the core team reply to emails in the users mailing-list?
To me this important to have a medium where excellent and busy people can take from their time
to help and welcome community and newcomers and exchange on added value for pharo users.

S.