Re: Problem w/ Load parcel dialog in virgin 7.4 image

Re: Problem w/ Load parcel dialog in virgin 7.4 image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Thomas Gagné wrote:

> Alan Knight wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> And this is a completely clean image? It seems bizarre that no one
>> else would see this.
>>
>> Does putting in a nil check in that method help?
>>

> Yes.  After running my system for a while (thunderbird, firebird,
> soffice, and skype) vw has started complaining again.  Filing-in the
> nil check (earlier message) seems to have made the problem go away.

Here's a reliable (at least on Windows) way of reproducing the problem
for non-believers out there :)

In your image, change VisualWorks Home Directory to a path with no trace
of VisualWorks (say C:\) and try to open new Load Parcel dialog - boom!

Changing the sender to read (dialog builder window ifNotNil: [ :w | w
refresh ]) indeed fixes the problem.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Problem w/ Load parcel dialog in virgin 7.4 image

Alan Knight-2
At 07:41 PM 1/17/2006, Boris Popov wrote:

>Thomas Gagné wrote:
>>Alan Knight wrote:
>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>And this is a completely clean image? It seems bizarre that no one else would see this.
>>>
>>>Does putting in a nil check in that method help?
>>>
>>Yes.  After running my system for a while (thunderbird, firebird, soffice, and skype) vw has started complaining again.  Filing-in the nil check (earlier message) seems to have made the problem go away.
>
>Here's a reliable (at least on Windows) way of reproducing the problem for non-believers out there :)
>
>In your image, change VisualWorks Home Directory to a path with no trace of VisualWorks (say C:\) and try to open new Load Parcel dialog - boom!
>
>Changing the sender to read (dialog builder window ifNotNil: [ :w | w refresh ]) indeed fixes the problem.

Yes, I actually discovered that as well, while looking at something else. So what happens is that under normal circumstances, looking through the entire parcel path is fairly time consuming. But if you have a very short parcel path (or one in which all the directories off of $VISUALWORKS aren't there) then you can get a race condition where it's trying to update a message in a window that hasn't opened yet.  The nil check still seems like an appropriate way to deal with it.
--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross