Re: Projects

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pharo does not support Projects.
Got it. In Squeak, this was the mechanism I used to keep objects from different domains separate, but the amazing Smalltalk beauty of it was that the objects could talk and act across the boundary. I was building a utopian digital world without the artificial boundaries of "applications."
Is there a similar (or better) mechanism for this in Pharo?
For example:
If I was using an image for all my personal computing, and I wanted to manage both my personal accounting and my journal; in Squeak, I would create a MyMoney project and a MyJournal project.
How would you handle this goal in Pharo?  My objective is to have every domain object in my life be able to communicate with every other object, without having one huge, unmanageable pile.  Maybe keep the objects in repositories stored in class instance variables in top-level project-like objects?  Like have a MyMoney class contain all the money-related objects, and a MyJournal class keep all the journal stuff...
Is any of this making sense?
Thanks!
Sean

Sean

Re: Projects

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi sean,

>> Pharo does not support Projects.
> Got it.  In Squeak, this was the mechanism I used to keep objects from different domains separate,

it did not.
Or we have a different definition of separate :)

> but the amazing Smalltalk beauty of it was that the objects could talk and act across the boundary.  I was building a utopian digital world without the artificial boundaries of "applications."

the project boundaries are artificial. Only one changeset was

> Is there a similar (or better) mechanism for this in Pharo?

Classes?

> For example:
> If I was using an image for all my personal computing, and I wanted to manage both my personal accounting and my journal; in Squeak, I would create a MyMoney project and a MyJournal project.

no this is not the purpose of projects.

> How would you handle this goal in Pharo?  My objective is to have every domain object in my life be able to communicate with every other object, without having one huge, unmanageable pile.

use classes.

>  Maybe keep the objects in repositories stored in class instance variables in top-level project-like objects?  Like have a MyMoney class contain all the money-related objects, and a MyJournal class keep all the journal stuff...
> Is any of this making sense?

I think that you misunderstand projects and also the purpose of classes and instances.
May be you should read some of the books available on my web page like the art of object-oriented programming.