Re: Re usable Components in Seaside & Aida

Re: Re usable Components in Seaside & Aida

Eli Green-2

On Friday, January 30, 2009, at 09:42AM, "Frank Young" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>From what I have seen of Aida, it uses a state machine-like process to
>transition and navigate among different web pages rather than Seaside's
>subroutine-like flow control.  I wonder, though, how Aida supports reusable
>components given this distinction.

Avi Bryant, the original creator of Seaside, has actually been discouraging the use of this type of control flow. In the days of HTML 4 and Java applets and lousy javascript support and nested tables, this was a very clever way of permitting a developer to turn a document retrieval system (HTTP) into something resembling a dynamic application. Every modern browser (even including IE7) has good enough support for javascript now that he recommends using Seaside's support for Ajax to implement dynamic behaviour.

Sorry that this does not answer your question. Just wanted to comment on this.

(AIDA has authentication built directly into it, so this may not be the best example).

Re: Re usable Components in Seaside & Aida

Frank Young
Eli Green-2 wrote
On Friday, January 30, 2009, at 09:42AM, "Frank Young" <franklin1@runbox.com> wrote:

>From what I have seen of Aida, it uses a state machine-like process to
>transition and navigate among different web pages rather than Seaside's
>subroutine-like flow control.  I wonder, though, how Aida supports reusable
>components given this distinction.

Avi Bryant, the original creator of Seaside, has actually been discouraging the use of this type of control flow. In the days of HTML 4 and Java applets and lousy javascript support and nested tables, this was a very clever way of permitting a developer to turn a document retrieval system (HTTP) into something resembling a dynamic application. Every modern browser (even including IE7) has good enough support for javascript now that he recommends using Seaside's support for Ajax to implement dynamic behaviour.

Sorry that this does not answer your question. Just wanted to comment on this.

(AIDA has authentication built directly into it, so this may not be the best example).
Thanks for your reply.  But did Avi Bryant really discourage the use of Seaside's call/answer control flow?  I think he mentioned that he stopped using continuations in Dabble, as they were resource-hungry and Ajax provided similar functionality without the cost.  However, I think one can call/answer WAComponents without maintaining continuations for them.  As far as I know, he still touts this style of control flow programming.

Frank