Re: Refactory Browser help

OCIT
Boris:

thanks, hopefully SmalltalkDoc will also fill this gap. BTW, are the
Advanced tools now generating pdfs. I vaguely recall them generating html.

-Charles

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:41:50 -0800, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>> There are no docs that I know of into the internals such as the
>> RBCommand and its "editor" UI, it is a pretty pluggable framework but
>> the docs are not there.
>
> Fortunately for RB (and any other framework with at least half-decent
> class comments) you could easily use Advanced Tools to generate somewhat
> useful class reference document as the next best thing. With a bit of
> luck at picking the right keywords, you can use Acrobat to either study
> the framework in detail or find solutions to specific problems rather
> quickly.
>
> I'm attaching a PDF with class comments from all Refactory.Browser.* for
> your reference.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>

>> -Charles
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:26:22 -0500, Charles Adams
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Charles,
>>>
>>> Yes, I follow you completely. Before I asked for help, I poked around
>>> the
>>> RB but quickly got off into the weeds.
>>>
>>> In prior generations of VW, I spent a respectable amount of time
>>> tweaking
>>> tools. I will no doubt be tempted to do the same in 7.x. So, I will

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Refactory Browser help

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
> Boris:
>
> thanks, hopefully SmalltalkDoc will also fill this gap. BTW, are the
> Advanced tools now generating pdfs. I vaguely recall them generating
> html.

You can either generate plain text or send the output to the printer,
which could very well be any kind of PDF printer, such as Acrobat,
pdf995 etc.

Cheers!

-Boris

> -Charles
>

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:41:50 -0800, Boris Popov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>>> There are no docs that I know of into the internals such as the
>>> RBCommand and its "editor" UI, it is a pretty pluggable framework but
>>> the docs are not there.
>>
>> Fortunately for RB (and any other framework with at least half-decent
>> class comments) you could easily use Advanced Tools to generate somewhat
>> useful class reference document as the next best thing. With a bit of
>> luck at picking the right keywords, you can use Acrobat to either study
>> the framework in detail or find solutions to specific problems rather
>> quickly.
>>
>> I'm attaching a PDF with class comments from all Refactory.Browser.* for
>> your reference.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>>

>>> -Charles

>> -Boris

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Refactory Browser help

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Boris:

Sorry, I got confused. I thought you meant ADvance tools. You are just
referring to the old doc generator i.e. which yes was always just plain
text.

A much nicer documenter would be the one provided with ADvance. It
generates nice html docs and I do believe that there are free html to
acrobat converters although I don't recall a name off hand. The
StarBrowser ADvance integration does one the favor of setting a particular
package as an ADvanc e subject which is what is required to use the
ADvance documenter on it. However, it is not a big deal to set a subject
manually if one does not want to load StarBrowser.

I have attached a screen shot of an example of what it could generate.
I also have attached a zipped folder with the html docs and images it
generates.

I don't share your trust in the usefulness of comments in the system, or
let's say that they are at best just "somewhat useful", also I'm not sure
that class comments would generally be sufficient to help developers
handle some of the IDE tweak issues that come up on this list from time to
time, especially if one considers that there is quite a decent level of
variability in user level of experience with VW. To be fair to Cincom I
don't believe that it is warranted that they have to provide tutorials on
how to muck with the IDE. After all, its Smalltalk, all one really needs
is a debugger and a way to get under the hood  :)

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro

RBAdvanceDocs.jpg (52K) Download Attachment

Re: Refactory Browser help

Janko Mivšek
Charles,

Html to PDF converter in question is called HTMLDOC
http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/, there is also a free version and it
works on both Linux an Windows. It is one of rare converters to produce
a table of contents. Unfortunately it don't uses CSS yet.

I hope this helps someone ..
Janko