Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Pharo 6.0 released!

Denis Kudriashov
Congrats!

What the status of Pharo 7? When integrations will be started?

Dear World,

The time has come for Pharo 6.0!

Pharo is a pure object-oriented programming language and a powerful environment, focused on simplicity and immediate feedback.

This is our most significant release yet. Here are some highlights:

- Pharo is now provided in 64-bit version in Linux and OSX and brings even better performance and stability (beware, 64bits version is a new technology and a small amount of tests is still failing)
- A new code changes management system named Epicea for easier reviewing and recovering of your code easily
- Integrated support for Git through an easy-to-use tool for repositories and commits management named Iceberg (as a preview for Pharo 6, it will be the default in Pharo 7)
- The unified foreign function interface (UnifiedFFI) for interfacing with the outside world is significantly improved
- The PharoVM is now part of OpenSmalltalk initiative
- Introduction of object immutability, alternative bytecode sets and block closures independent of outer context
- Pharo can now be bootstrapped from source code managed by Git
- Pharo modularity is improved
- Pharo is faster
- The Dark Theme was improved and set as default color theme of Pharo

These are just the more prominent highlights, but the details are just as important. We have closed 1474 issues in Pharo 6.0 (a more complete changelog can be found at https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-changelogs/blob/master/Pharo60ChangeLogs.md).

While the technical improvements are significant (starting the transition to 64bits is a remarkable achievement), still the most impressive fact is that the new code that got in the main Pharo 6.0 image was contributed by more than 80 people.

Pharo is more than code. It is an exciting project involving energetic people. We thank all the contributors of this release:

Alberto Bacchelli, Alejandro Infante, Alexandre Bergel, Aliaksei Syrel, Alistair Grant, Andrei Chis, Ben Coman, Bernardo Contreras, Bernhard Pieber, Boris Spasojevic, Christophe Demarey, Clement Bera, Cyril Ferlicot, Dale Henrichs, Damien Cassou, Damien Pollet, Dave Lewis, Denis Kudriashov, Dirk Roeleveld, Eliot Miranda, Esteban Lorenzano, Esteban Maringolo, Evan Donahue, Federico Balaguer, Franck Warlouzet, Glenn Cavarle, Guillermo Polito, Gustavo Santos, Henrik Johansen, Henrik Nergaard, Hilaire Fernandes, Holger Hans, Jan Kurs, Jan van de Sandt, Johan Fabry, Juraj Kubelka, K. K. Subramaniam, Ken Causey, Kris Gybels, Lionel Akue, Luc Fabresse, Lucas Godoy, Marcus Denker, Mariano Martinez Peck, Marion Noirbent, Martin Dias, Max Leske, Maxime Roelandt, Merwan Ouddane, Matteo Bellotto, Miguel Campusano, Milton Mamani, Myroslava Romaniuk, Nicolai Hess, Nicolas Cellier, Nicolas Passerini, Norbert Hartl, Offray Luna, Pablo Tesone, Paul De Bruicker, Pavel Krivanek, Peter Uhnak, Philippe Back, Roger Stebler, Ronie Salgado, Sean DeNigris, Serge Stinckwich, Skip Lentz, Sophie Kaleba, Stefan Reichhart, Stephan Eggermont, Stephane Ducasse, Sven Van Caekenberghe, Thibault Arloing, Thibault Arloing, Thibault Raffaillac, Thierry Goubier, Thomas Heniart, Tommaso Dal Sasso, Torsten Bergmann, Tudor Girba, Udo Schneider, Valentin Ryckewaert, Vincent Blondeau, Werner Kassens, Yuriy Tymchuk

(If you contributed with Pharo 6.0 development in any way and we missed your name, please send us a mail and we will add you).

Enjoy!

The Pharo Team

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Pharo 6.0 released!

tinchodias
Congratulations!  :-D

Martín
ps: I'll report in another email a small issue with curl and zeroconf for 64 bits

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolai Hess-3-2
+1
When will the development for Pharo 7 start ? (inbox / monkey / ...).

[...]

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi nicolai

Last week we got a sync point to see what should be done. And
Guille and Pavel started to set up some new monkey and check the full process.
Esteban should do an announce soon.

Stef

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pavel Krivanek-3

in fact the development of Pharo 7 has already started. But in a limited mode.

For Pharo 7 we have the #development branch on GitHub (pharo-project/pharo)

...and we are already merging pull requests.

We currently have (mostly technical) problems with the infrastructure so the monkey is not running. But we have a temporary CI jobs that can check specific pull request (that means that we bootstrap Pharo for them and run tests for all platforms).

The latest Pharo 7 image can be found here:

The image is currently not uploaded to files.pharo.org and it is not accessible by zero-conf scripts, sorry.

If you want to try to create own pull request directly from Pharo 7, you need to do this:
- create own fork of pharo-project/pharo repository on GitHub and keep it in sync
- download Pharo 7 image
- clone pharo-project/pharo repository into the image directory, the directory with the clone MUST be named "pharo-core"
- checkout the development branch or better checkout the commit from which the Pharo 7 image was bootstrapped (SystemVersion current commitHash). Beware, in that case you will be in detached head state (you need to create own issue branch later to be able to commit something). The checkout to a particular commit cannot be done currently from Iceberg, you need to use git
- add your fork repository as a remote and mark it as default push target
- create issue on FogBugz to get issue ID
- create a branch for this issue (can be done easily from the repository context menu in Iceberg [Pharo], this option is valid only if you cloned pharo-project/pharo repository)
- commit the fix to your fork repository
- create the pull request (can be done easily from the repository context menu in Iceberg [Pharo], this option is valid only if you cloned pharo-project/pharo repository)
- add link to the pull request into the FogBugz issue entry

Pull requests can be done from Pharo 6 too. Then you do not need to have clone in "pharo-core" directory, it can be everywhere, and you mast create your branches from the master branch (and create pull requests on #development)

Because we currently have limited possibilities to check pull requests, we prefer to merge PRs needed for start of the new integration process. We really do not need to break the system in this fragile state ;-)

Cheers,
-- Pavel

[...]

This description is not official documentation, only hint for people brave enough to try it :-)

For own fork synchronization you need to do something like:

git remote add upstream [hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo.git
git fetch upstream
git checkout --track origin/development
git pull upstream development
git push

As soon as the repository is set, you need only to do:

git fetch upstream
git checkout development
git pull upstream development
git push

The synchronization can be done from Iceberg directly too. You simply need to pull from upstream and push to your fork. But for big repositories it is slower.

-- Pavel

[...]

EstebanLM

On 13 Jun 2017, at 11:40, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

This description is not official documentation, only hint for people brave enough to try it :-)

For own fork synchronization you need to do something like:

git remote add upstream [hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo.git
git fetch upstream
git checkout --track origin/development
git pull upstream development
git push

this is like a lot of steps.
you usually just need the

git pull upstream development
git push

part :)

(the process works always if you already forked pharo and you already did the first clone)

As soon as the repository is set, you need only to do:

git fetch upstream
git checkout development
git pull upstream development
git push

The synchronization can be done from Iceberg directly too. You simply need to pull from upstream and push to your fork. But for big repositories it is slower.

what is slow now is the sync window (0.5 will fix that). But pull from a remote/push to your remote will also work on iceberg. Less visual feedback for now, but it will work (I have a proof, I do it like that) :)

Esteban

-- Pavel

[...]

<Pharo6.jpeg>