Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Hi Lukas,
I am using the latest Pharo, and I have loaded Seaside with ScriptLoader loadSeaside30. I am using it on a Mac with Leopard.
I have managed to reuse that port, with random tests and I do not believe there may be causality here, but I will tell you anyway what I did.
When this happens, I removed the problematic adaptor from the Seaside Control Panel and created a new one (on the same port), then I tried closing the image and restarting and it did not fix the problem.  Although when I closed another non Seaside image I was running and then restarted the problematic image it worked.
I wonder now if it is not a mac vm issue or socket issue.  Robert, are you also running on a mac?
In spite I got the image working again, it is quite worring because we don't know the cause when an image stops answering requests (although the image itself was not hanged at all and kept working fine), and, most weird of all, there is no exception or trace of a fault happening.  This is really what is making me wonder if it is not a low level socket issue that never gets to the image for it to throw an exception or anything at all.
Cheers

ps: I'm cross posting to Pharo because I believe this is not a Seaside issue.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm using Pharo 1.0.10419, but I'm not sure how to check the other two. I think I'm still running 2.9 in the image I checked.

RS

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:30:37 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]

> I've never seen this problem before.
>
> What version of Pharo? Kom? Seaside?
>
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/11 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> > I've also had this problem for quite a while now and have not found any way to fix the problem either.
> >
> > RS
> >
> > Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>Something really strange happened to me more than once now.In a simple dev
> >>image (Pharo + Seaside3 + Kom on a Mac) after saving the image at some
> >>point, Komanche stops answering anything at all, althought the port keeps
> >>listening (as listed on a terminal).
> >>No errors are displayed anywere but the port becomes unusable from that
> >>point on.
> >>If I wish to continue using the same image I have to add another adaptor in
> >>the Seaside Control Panel and start again.
> >>The "dead" ports never become usable again, not even stopping and removing
> >>the adaptor and adding a new one.
> >>I am not even sure that this is a Komanche issue, as I said no error of
> >>anykind is visible.
> >>Has anyone come across this before?

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Correlation does not mean causality, I know.  But in my case this happened right after saving my image, although I had saved it many times before without issues.
Cheers

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lukas,
I am using the latest Pharo, and I have loaded Seaside with ScriptLoader loadSeaside30. I am using it on a Mac with Leopard.
I have managed to reuse that port, with random tests and I do not believe there may be causality here, but I will tell you anyway what I did.
When this happens, I removed the problematic adaptor from the Seaside Control Panel and created a new one (on the same port), then I tried closing the image and restarting and it did not fix the problem.  Although when I closed another non Seaside image I was running and then restarted the problematic image it worked.
I wonder now if it is not a mac vm issue or socket issue.  Robert, are you also running on a mac?
In spite I got the image working again, it is quite worring because we don't know the cause when an image stops answering requests (although the image itself was not hanged at all and kept working fine), and, most weird of all, there is no exception or trace of a fault happening.  This is really what is making me wonder if it is not a low level socket issue that never gets to the image for it to throw an exception or anything at all.
Cheers

ps: I'm cross posting to Pharo because I believe this is not a Seaside issue.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm using Pharo 1.0.10419, but I'm not sure how to check the other two. I think I'm still running 2.9 in the image I checked.

RS

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:30:37 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]

> I've never seen this problem before.
>
> What version of Pharo? Kom? Seaside?
>
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/11 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> > I've also had this problem for quite a while now and have not found any way to fix the problem either.
> >
> > RS
> >
> > Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>Something really strange happened to me more than once now.In a simple dev
> >>image (Pharo + Seaside3 + Kom on a Mac) after saving the image at some
> >>point, Komanche stops answering anything at all, althought the port keeps
> >>listening (as listed on a terminal).
> >>No errors are displayed anywere but the port becomes unusable from that
> >>point on.
> >>If I wish to continue using the same image I have to add another adaptor in
> >>the Seaside Control Panel and start again.
> >>The "dead" ports never become usable again, not even stopping and removing
> >>the adaptor and adding a new one.
> >>I am not even sure that this is a Komanche issue, as I said no error of
> >>anykind is visible.
> >>Has anyone come across this before?

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Ah, if Robert still has an image with the issue and if he does not mind giving it away for autopsy, maybe someone could look at it :)
May be John Macintosh can help us.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm running the latest mac vm as well. I believe I attempted the same things to no avail.

RS

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:39:37 +0200

> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I use the same configuration with the 4.1.1beta2U VM.
>
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/11 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> > Correlation does not mean causality, I know.  But in my case this happened
> > right after saving my image, although I had saved it many times before
> > without issues.
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Lukas,
> >> I am using the latest Pharo, and I have loaded Seaside with ScriptLoader
> >> loadSeaside30. I am using it on a Mac with Leopard.
> >> I have managed to reuse that port, with random tests and I do not believe
> >> there may be causality here, but I will tell you anyway what I did.
> >> When this happens, I removed the problematic adaptor from the Seaside
> >> Control Panel and created a new one (on the same port), then I tried closing
> >> the image and restarting and it did not fix the problem.  Although when I
> >> closed another non Seaside image I was running and then restarted the
> >> problematic image it worked.
> >> I wonder now if it is not a mac vm issue or socket issue.  Robert, are you
> >> also running on a mac?
> >> In spite I got the image working again, it is quite worring because we
> >> don't know the cause when an image stops answering requests (although the
> >> image itself was not hanged at all and kept working fine), and, most weird
> >> of all, there is no exception or trace of a fault happening.  This is really
> >> what is making me wonder if it is not a low level socket issue that never
> >> gets to the image for it to throw an exception or anything at all.
> >> Cheers

> >> ps: I'm cross posting to Pharo because I believe this is not a Seaside
> >> issue.

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Robert, can you see your port still listening with this command ?

sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i listen

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah, if Robert still has an image with the issue and if he does not mind giving it away for autopsy, maybe someone could look at it :)
May be John Macintosh can help us.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm running the latest mac vm as well. I believe I attempted the same things to no avail.

RS

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:39:37 +0200

> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I use the same configuration with the 4.1.1beta2U VM.
>
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/11 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:
> > Correlation does not mean causality, I know.  But in my case this happened
> > right after saving my image, although I had saved it many times before
> > without issues.
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Lukas,
> >> I am using the latest Pharo, and I have loaded Seaside with ScriptLoader
> >> loadSeaside30. I am using it on a Mac with Leopard.
> >> I have managed to reuse that port, with random tests and I do not believe
> >> there may be causality here, but I will tell you anyway what I did.
> >> When this happens, I removed the problematic adaptor from the Seaside
> >> Control Panel and created a new one (on the same port), then I tried closing
> >> the image and restarting and it did not fix the problem.  Although when I
> >> closed another non Seaside image I was running and then restarted the
> >> problematic image it worked.
> >> I wonder now if it is not a mac vm issue or socket issue.  Robert, are you
> >> also running on a mac?
> >> In spite I got the image working again, it is quite worring because we
> >> don't know the cause when an image stops answering requests (although the
> >> image itself was not hanged at all and kept working fine), and, most weird
> >> of all, there is no exception or trace of a fault happening.  This is really
> >> what is making me wonder if it is not a low level socket issue that never
> >> gets to the image for it to throw an exception or anything at all.
> >> Cheers

> >> ps: I'm cross posting to Pharo because I believe this is not a Seaside
> >> issue.

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Adrian Lienhard
Did you open another image with the same VM? There is a wired behavior
of the Mac VM that makes the second image listen on the same ports as
the already running image. This may (or may not) be related.

See http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-June/002726.html

Adrian

On Oct 11, 2009, at 17:18 , Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:

> Robert, can you see your port still listening with this command ?
>
> sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i listen
>

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Ah, if Robert still has an image with the issue and if he does not
>> mind
>> giving it away for autopsy, maybe someone could look at it :)May be
>> John
>> Macintosh can help us.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Robert Sirois
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running the latest mac vm as well. I believe I attempted the
>>> same
>>> things to no avail.
>>>
>>> RS

>>> happened

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> ScriptLoader
>>> believe
>>> closing
>>> when I
>>> are you
>>> we
>>> the
>>> weird
>>> really
>>> never

>>> Seaside

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> two. I

>>> found

>>> at
>>> port
>>> from
>>> and
>>> error

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Hi Adrian,
I did open both images with the same VM.   I am sure this must be the problem then.  As I said in one of the mails, the problem in my case went away when I bounced all the images.
It only happens in the Mac VM then?
Do we need to report this bug somewhere or is it already reported?
Cheers

<[hidden email]>wrote:

Ah, if Robert still has an image with the issue and if he does not mind
giving it away for autopsy, maybe someone could look at it :)May be John
Macintosh can help us.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>wrote:

I'm running the latest mac vm as well. I believe I attempted the same
things to no avail.

RS

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Ramiro,

Yes, this is an issue of the Mac VM only.

It was reported in the sense that I sent a mail with instructions to
reproduce the problem to the Squeak-vm mailing list and John
acknowledged the problem. I don't know whether John intends to fix
this, though.

Adrian

On Oct 11, 2009, at 22:06 , Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
> I did open both images with the same VM.   I am sure this must be the
> problem then.  As I said in one of the mails, the problem in my case
> went
> away when I bounced all the images.
> It only happens in the Mac VM then?
> Do we need to report this bug somewhere or is it already reported?
> Cheers

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Did you open another image with the same VM? There is a wired
>> behavior of
>> the Mac VM that makes the second image listen on the same ports as
>> the
>> already running image. This may (or may not) be related.
>>
>> See
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-June/002726.html
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2009, at 17:18 , Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:
>>
>> Robert, can you see your port still listening with this command ?
>>>
>>> sudo lsof -i -P | grep -i listen
>>>

>>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Ramiro Diaz Trepat
>>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, if Robert still has an image with the issue and if he does not
>>> mind

Re: [Seaside] Komanche ?

johnmci
Ok.
(a) the first problem is how the 2nd VM is launched. We actually use
Apple Script to re-launch the binary with the supplied image when
we receive the open document apple event.  The behavior of this is
different between 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 and I assume the 10.6 is the same
as 10.5 because we had reported an issue with the 10.4 behavior they
fixed in 10.5

Indications are is that the apple script code executes a execv (but we
are not sure)
this then retains the open file descriptors so it retains the
knowledge about open sockets.

(b) I'm not sure what the behavor would be if you launch VM "A" then
listen on socket 8080.  Then launch VM "B" then again listen on socket
8080
will both virtual machines "A" and "B" attempt to service socket 8080,
or will VM "B" get told it cannot listen on 8080 because it does not
own it?

Pending is work on a pure objective-c based squeak VM based on the the
iPhone work, which would alter the behaviour.
But if someone can answer (b) then maybe we can see about an interim
fix to deal with (a)

--
=
=

On Oct 12, 2009, at 23:10 , Ramiro Diaz Trepat wrote:

> Small clarification.  In my case the different VMs did not use the
> same port
> numbers, they had different ports, indeed one of them did not even
> have
> Seaside installed.

It does not matter what ports the second image opens during startup...
the second VM proces would still listen on the same ports like the
first one.

Adrian