Re: [Seaside] bad performance Pharo Windows 7 64bit

Re: [Seaside] bad performance Pharo Windows 7 64bit

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
The only BIG problem I found using Pharo in Windows is when there are some antivirus running like Nod32 or friends. Mostly when using Monticello as .changes are changing all the time, the antivirus runs the scan every time.... The way to solve is to exclude the Pharo folder from the antivirus analysis.

Sorry, maybe this has nothing to do with your case.

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Bart Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I am among the few people still using windows for my development and I
won't make the switch to OS-X because I simply love my keyboard layout
and shortcuts. And...Windows 7 is not that bad after all..
When I use seaside-3.0rc on a Windows XP 32bit system at work, i get
the performance I expect.

Opening the JQuery UI example on WXP takes 766ms in total :

GET jquery-ui http://localhost:8080/javascript/jquery-ui  200 OK
localhost:8080 7.6 KB  63ms
GET jQuery.js http://localhost:8080/files/JQDeploymentLibrary/jQuery.js
200 OK localhost:8080 70.5 KB 47ms
GET jQueryUi.js
http://localhost:8080/files/JQUiDeploymentLibrary/jQueryUi.js 200 OK
localhost:8080 187.8 KB 282ms
GET development.css
http://localhost:8080/files/WADevelopmentFiles/development.css 200 OK
localhost:8080 2.9 KB 32ms
and so on...

On my W7 64bit, each request takes over a second:

GET jquery-ui http://localhost:8080/javascript/jquery-ui 200 OK
localhost:8080 7.6 KB 1.05s
GET jQuery.js http://localhost:8080/files/JQDeploymentLibrary/jQuery.js
200 OK localhost:8080 70.5 KB 1.01s
GET jQueryUi.js
http://localhost:8080/files/JQUiDeploymentLibrary/jQueryUi.js 200 OK
localhost:8080 187.8 KB 1.08s
GET development.css
http://localhost:8080/files/WADevelopmentFiles/development.css 200 OK
localhost:8080 2.9 KB 1.01s

As you can see, each request takes over a second on W7 64bit.

Does anyone else noticed this behaviour? I have no performance issues
in seaside for Vast80 and VW77.

Regards,

Bart

Re: [Seaside] bad performance Pharo Windows 7 64bit

George Herolyants-3
BTW. This may sound strange, but I experience great requests execution
time using Firefox on Windows Vista (which is quite similar to Win7).
When I access seaside through "localhost" at the address bar, every
request takes about one second! But when I write ip-address
(127.0.0.1), requests execution time decreases to about 10ms! Though I
don't know the reasons of such strange behaviour. Maybe it's DNS
versus Netbios names resolving issue. Sadly but IE doesn't have such
an issue :).

2010/8/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> BTW....you should say also which VM version  you are using.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The only BIG problem I found using Pharo in Windows is when there are
>>> some antivirus running like Nod32 or friends. Mostly when using Monticello
>>> as .changes are changing all the time, the antivirus runs the scan every
>>> time.... The way to solve is to exclude the Pharo folder from the antivirus
>>> analysis.
>>>
>>> Sorry, maybe this has nothing to do with your case.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: [Seaside] bad performance Pharo Windows 7 64bit

SeanTAllen
This is a known issue on windows w/ at least firefox. You can fix it
by turning off ipv6:

Turn off using ipv6 in firefox to solve...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dns.disableIPv6

you could also look into this ( but i dont think it works for localhost )...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains