Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Using [ https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/979 ] (I attach a manually modified BaselineOfSeaside3 that I used), I managed to load Seaside 3.2 (GitHub.1516790362) in Pharo 7 (Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.493.sha.d53a70bc946ed83b046f61ac35f00c67fa77269a (32 Bit)) and at least the load and some quick testing with ZnZincSeasideAdaptor (via the spec based Seaside Control Panel) seems to indicate no direct problems.

Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 load.

Why don't we integrate this so that others can load Seaside 3.2 in Pharo 7 too ?

This is _really_ important to make progress, IMHO.

I changed WABrowser>>#updateUrl: to send #name instead of #fullName to the selected class of the model. I am not sure that is entirely correct, but it seemed to work. Apart from that, the WAImageStatus web app worked fine.

Sven

> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:49, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, Max, thanks for the reply.
>
> I will ask on the Pharo ML as well.
>
> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.
>
>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:40, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sven,
>>
>> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.
>>
>> How urgent is the situation for you?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>

>> On 5 November 2017 at 19:22:03, Sven Van Caekenberghe ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am stuck trying to move my main development to Pharo 7 because I have trouble loading Seaside (which I normally do indirectly by loading the Bootstrap project). Here is my dependency:
>>>
>>> project: 'Bootstrap' with: [
>>> spec
>>> className: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
>>> repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main/';
>>> versionString: #stable ]
>>>
>>> I also tried the following:
>>>
>>> Metacello new
>>> baseline:'Seaside3';
>>> repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>>> load.
>>>
>>> What is the right/recommended way to do it ?
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks for pushing this.
I plan to work on migrating the seaside book to pillar when I'm done
with the moose book and the magritte booklet.

Stef

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using [ https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/979 ] (I attach a manually modified BaselineOfSeaside3 that I used), I managed to load Seaside 3.2 (GitHub.1516790362) in Pharo 7 (Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.493.sha.d53a70bc946ed83b046f61ac35f00c67fa77269a (32 Bit)) and at least the load and some quick testing with ZnZincSeasideAdaptor (via the spec based Seaside Control Panel) seems to indicate no direct problems.
>
> Metacello new
>  baseline:'Seaside3';
>  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>  load.
>
> Why don't we integrate this so that others can load Seaside 3.2 in Pharo 7 too ?
>
> This is _really_ important to make progress, IMHO.
>
> I changed WABrowser>>#updateUrl: to send #name instead of #fullName to the selected class of the model. I am not sure that is entirely correct, but it seemed to work. Apart from that, the WAImageStatus web app worked fine.
>
> Sven
>
>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:49, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, Max, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I will ask on the Pharo ML as well.
>>
>> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.
>>
>>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:40, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sven,
>>>
>>> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.
>>>
>>> How urgent is the situation for you?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Up until Pharo build 382 (sha 115e95c) you could load Seaside by using:
Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 load
If you adapt the baselineOf to include Pharo 7.x

BUT, from build 383 onwards, and tested again just now with 509 (sha 1276a3f) the following happens:
- Download Pharo -- OK
- Load Seaside master -- OK
- Save and quit image -- OK
- Start image again -- Hangs and never completes starting

In Ubuntu, this manifests as the main Pharo window opening, but never displaying anything inside it.
In Windows, the VM starts and closes without any warning, and no logs are created.

I have no idea why this is happening, and I am not sure if the tests in Travis cover this scenario.
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018, 4:14:24 PM GMT-3, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for pushing this.
I plan to work on migrating the seaside book to pillar when I'm done
with the moose book and the magritte booklet.

Stef

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using [ https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/979 ] (I attach a manually modified BaselineOfSeaside3 that I used), I managed to load Seaside 3.2 (GitHub.1516790362) in Pharo 7 (Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.493.sha.d53a70bc946ed83b046f61ac35f00c67fa77269a (32 Bit)) and at least the load and some quick testing with ZnZincSeasideAdaptor (via the spec based Seaside Control Panel) seems to indicate no direct problems.
>
> Metacello new
>  baseline:'Seaside3';
>  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>  load.
>
> Why don't we integrate this so that others can load Seaside 3.2 in Pharo 7 too ?
>
> This is _really_ important to make progress, IMHO.
>
> I changed WABrowser>>#updateUrl: to send #name instead of #fullName to the selected class of the model. I am not sure that is entirely correct, but it seemed to work. Apart from that, the WAImageStatus web app worked fine.
>
> Sven
>
>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:49, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, Max, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I will ask on the Pharo ML as well.
>>
>> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.
>>
>>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:40, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sven,
>>>
>>> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.
>>>
>>> How urgent is the situation for you?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Starting/restarting with a running server in the image works OK for me (macOS) and recent Pharo 7.

What is different for you ?

> [...]
> >  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
> >  load.
> >
> > Why don't we integrate this so that others can load Seaside 3.2 in Pharo 7 too ?
> >
> > This is _really_ important to make progress, IMHO.
> >
> > I changed WABrowser>>#updateUrl: to send #name instead of #fullName to the selected class of the model. I am not sure that is entirely correct, but it seemed to work. Apart from that, the WAImageStatus web app worked fine.
> >
> > Sven
> >
> >> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:49, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> OK, Max, thanks for the reply.
> >>
> >> I will ask on the Pharo ML as well.
> >>
> >> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list wrote
> I have no idea why this is happening

I had a similar situation due to a deprecation warning generated by my
startup script. I aborted from the debugger, and the image worked normally,
but when I saved, quit and tried to restart the image, it wouldn't open (VM
icon in list of active apps, but window never appeared macOS high Sierra).

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
I can only test it in Ubuntu and Windows for the moment.

Steps to reproduce (in Windows)
1) Download:
3) Unzip everything to the same directory, then start Pharo.exe
4) Execute in Workspace
Metacello new
 baseline:'Seaside3';
 repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
 load
5) Save and Quit
6) Try to start Pharo.exe

If I delete stderr, stdout and PharoDebug.log before restarting Pharo, I can see that stderr and PharoDebug.log are created at 0 bytes, there is no other log that I can find.

As you can see, no startup scripts are involved. This is a clean Pharo installation. And this happens both in Windows and in Ubuntu, no matter in which OS I try to do the download+load.

If it is of any help, this has been happening exactly since build 383. It worked perfectly up to build 382.
On Thursday, February 8, 2018, 4:42:36 PM GMT-3, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list wrote
> I have no idea why this is happening

I had a similar situation due to a deprecation warning generated by my
startup script. I aborted from the debugger, and the image worked normally,
but when I saved, quit and tried to restart the image, it wouldn't open (VM
icon in list of active apps, but window never appeared macOS high Sierra).

-----
Cheers,

Sean

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Maximiliano,

I finally managed to reproduce your situation, using get.pharo.org/70+vm on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, 64bit using a 32bit VM).

Indeed the second time the image comes up blank. It does however still work (I had a running server in it and I could access it via the browser). You can also interrupt Pharo (ctrl-.) and the debugger shows the process is blocked at the 'wait wait' in the following method:

SessionManager>>#snapshot: save andQuit: quit
        | isImageStarting wait |
        "We do the snapshot in a separate process in maximum priority to have always a clean startup.
        This process will be interrupted by the fork, and will be resumed as soon as the snapshot finishes.
        We synchronize these processes in case both are in the same priority.
        When both arguments are false, do nothing and return false."
        (save or: [quit]) ifFalse: [ ^ false ].
        wait := Semaphore new.
        [
                isImageStarting := self launchSnapshot: save andQuit: quit.
                wait signal
        ] forkAt: Processor highestPriority.
        wait wait.
        ^ isImageStarting

Now, the underlying error is ZnCrPortableWriteStream that disappeared and is used by the command line handlers.

It seems the latest Zinc (as loaded by Seaside) does not yet contain this class.

I'll check and come back.

Sven

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 00:04, Maximiliano Tabacman via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> From: Maximiliano Tabacman <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?
> Date: 9 February 2018 at 00:04:59 GMT+1
> To: [hidden email], "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
>

> I can only test it in Ubuntu and Windows for the moment.
>
> Steps to reproduce (in Windows)
> 1) Download:
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/win/pharo-win-i386-201802072244-997e644.zip
> 2) Download:
> http://files.pharo.org/image/70/Pharo-7.0.0-alpha.build.512.sha.881c01b.arch.32bit.zip
> 3) Unzip everything to the same directory, then start Pharo.exe
> 4) Execute in Workspace
> Metacello new
>  baseline:'Seaside3';
>  repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>  load
> 5) Save and Quit
> 6) Try to start Pharo.exe
>
> If I delete stderr, stdout and PharoDebug.log before restarting Pharo, I can see that stderr and PharoDebug.log are created at 0 bytes, there is no other log that I can find.
>
> As you can see, no startup scripts are involved. This is a clean Pharo installation. And this happens both in Windows and in Ubuntu, no matter in which OS I try to do the download+load.
>
> If it is of any help, this has been happening exactly since build 383. It worked perfectly up to build 382.
> On Thursday, February 8, 2018, 4:42:36 PM GMT-3, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list wrote
> > I have no idea why this is happening
>
> I had a similar situation due to a deprecation warning generated by my
> startup script. I aborted from the debugger, and the image worked normally,
> but when I saved, quit and tried to restart the image, it wouldn't open (VM
> icon in list of active apps, but window never appeared macOS high Sierra).
>

> -----
> Cheers,
>
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 15:06, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems the latest Zinc (as loaded by Seaside) does not yet contain this class.
>
> I'll check and come back.

To fix this, for now, you can load the latest ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents and do

 ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project bleedingEdge load.

After which you have to do

 Smalltalk recompile.

And save. You should now be able to restart and your image should come up normally.

If CI builds succeed for older versions of Pharo, I will promote this version to #stable.

Sven

Re: [Seaside-dev] How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
I can confirm that Ctrl + DOT unlocks the image in Ubuntu. Then by loading the latest Zinc packages and evaluating "Smalltalk recompile" the issue is fixed.

Many many thanks for your time and for pointing me in the right direction.